PDA

View Full Version : 1953 Ithaca Model 37 Question?

M62/M76
December 20, 2013, 07:08
Picked up a 60 year old Ithaca 37 yesterday.
It is a nice shotgun, with 18 inch barrel, slam-fire, police issue.
Can I shoot 00 Buck out of it?
Or, should I go with something less hot?

Illurian00
December 20, 2013, 07:33
It will only 'slam fire' if depress the trigger and close the action, assuming it is in proper working order.

As far as buckshot is concerned; the cops, prison guards and bank robbers , used buckshot in them. I don't see why you can't.
I had a 20Ga, 26" slug bbl., factory sights , it would shoot clovers leafs at 50yds, on demand. As for the 12 Ga. , a few 'full house' loads for a range session should fulfill the average nimrods recoil quoitient. They are really nice in the field light weight field guns. A big game gun is carried alot but, obviously, shot very little.

Where did you get the idea that the design wasn't rated for standard ammunition ? It was a very popular 'slug' gun for decades.

M62/M76
December 20, 2013, 08:13
Just making sure.
My other police gun, Marlin 43, 12 Ga,
Saw a warning not to even shoot it,
Because it was 90 years old.

grumpy1
December 20, 2013, 13:31
I'm not sure if your aware that the Ithica Model 37 was designed by the great John Browning, which should be enough said about the shotguns ability to handle buckshot and slug rounds, as long as someone didn't modify it to an unsafe condition.

I'm not sure which is the better shotgun, the Winchester Model 12 or the Ithica Model 37. They just don't make them like these two any more.

Also was the barrel cut down or was it a factory short barrel?

W.E.G.
December 20, 2013, 13:42
Just remember one thing.

Get a haircut!

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/shotguns/easyridershotgun4.jpg

M62/M76
December 20, 2013, 22:57
They are factory barrels.
I am also buying a Winchester Model 12, 12Ga police gun from the same guy.
not sure of the barrel length yet, he has to dig it out of his storage unit.
He bought a bunch of these in a government auction, many moons ago.
Really cool shotguns.
Can't wait to see the model 12!!!

gunseller
December 21, 2013, 16:54
Oh but they do make the 37 like they used to. It is current production and all parts work interchange. They are as well made as the best production of the past.
Steve

grumpy1
December 21, 2013, 22:01
Oh but they do make the 37 like they used to. It is current production and all parts work interchange. They are as well made as the best production of the past.
Steve

I've read that they were back in production about two years or so ago, but have yet to see one of the new ones. The pictures of the new model 37 did look good.

catmguy445
December 24, 2013, 12:14
Steve

That's not quite true. The older, as in pre-1960's Ithaca's use a different thread for the barrel/receiver junction which is NOT compatible with the newer guns. I know this because I have an older model Ithaca 37 and picked up a newer vintage barrel while I was working at a gun store, and it wouldn't fit my gun.

I'm not sure exactly what year Ithaca changed the thread pitch on the barrels and receiver threads, but I think it was in the 1960's. Might have even been earlier than that.

If there are some Ithaca experts on the Files, please feel free to chime in on this.

grumpy1
December 24, 2013, 15:06
While I'm not an Ithica expert, I do have a couple articles on the Model 37 that I'll have to dig up and se if it sheads any light on when they changed. I do remember it talking about the barrel threads being different in one of them.

hedp
December 24, 2013, 16:54
My Ithaca book is boxed up at the moment, but it was at serial 855,000 that the switch to interchangeable barrels happened. This was the mid '60s IIRC. Prior to that, each barrel needs to be fitted to the receiver.
I believe I have read that the older 37s can be modified to take the later interchangeable barrels, though after the mod, only the later barrels can be used. But don't quote me on that one.

IanMor
December 25, 2013, 01:13
I'm not sure if your aware that the Ithaca Model 37 was designed by the great John Browning,

Thanks for that tid-bit of info. I was unaware of that. No wonder I like the 37 so much.
One of the truly great shotguns.

grumpy1
December 25, 2013, 12:04
Thanks for that tid-bit of info. I was unaware of that. No wonder I like the 37 so much.
One of the truly great shotguns.

Remington made the Model 37 prior to Ithica making it, Remington called a different model I want to say model 11 but not sure off the top of my head its in one of the articles I have some where. The rights to the patten ran out and Ithica jumped on it and made the 37.

metalreptile
December 25, 2013, 12:31
I picked up a 1953 Ithaca 37 Featherlite a while back. Had a barrel that looked to be about 30 inches or better. Someone had slathered the entire gun, metal and all, in some kind of shellac looking crap. All screw heads were badly boogered. Finish was in poor shape as well. Perfect project gun! Barrel is now 20" with aluminum bead, metal all refinished with Oxpho-Blue & new screws, and the nice walnut under all the crap they had on it is now oil finished.
By the way, 8 rounds of high brass #4 left my shoulder bruised for a week.....lol. 00 Buck oughtta be fun! :rofl:

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k102/metalreptile/aaa_zpsd9f0e000.jpg

grumpy1
December 25, 2013, 14:52
I picked up a 1953 Ithaca 37 Featherlite a while back. Had a barrel that looked to be about 30 inches or better. Someone had slathered the entire gun, metal and all, in some kind of shellac looking crap. All screw heads were badly boogered. Finish was in poor shape as well. Perfect project gun! Barrel is now 20" with aluminum bead, metal all refinished with Oxpho-Blue & new screws, and the nice walnut under all the crap they had on it is now oil finished.
By the way, 8 rounds of high brass #4 left my shoulder bruised for a week.....lol. 00 Buck oughtta be fun! :rofl:

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k102/metalreptile/aaa_zpsd9f0e000.jpg

I think I'd find a limbsaver slip on recoil pad, they are the best recoil pad I've found or look at putting a mercury recoil dampening system in the stock.

Andy the Aussie
December 25, 2013, 16:49
While my head always draws me to the 870 my heart screams M37 to me.... :) I had two back beore 1996 here, one was a commercial 8 shot with sights the other was an ex-RVN 5 shot with the short "Asian" butt. Once I cleaned 1/2 of a Saigon Park's top soil and accumulated gunk out of that little gun it had an action that was just about as slick as snail snot.... but it was light....really light and though it threw beautiful patterns, Winchester 00 buck really did leave you feeling "battered" afterward.... :) :)

I got the 8 shot cheap as the owner at the time thought it was "broken", he was driving around the bush with it out the window and racked the action with his finger on the trigger....apparently the butt was in his "lap" at the time and the recoil left his gasping for air. $50 and it was mine.... ;) ;)

M62/M76
December 26, 2013, 00:10
Here is a picture of:

Marlin Model 43, 20 inch barrel, 1920's.
Ithaca Model 37, 18 inch barrel, 1953.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj160/m62m76/IMG_1278_zps62e44c6c.jpg (http://s271.photobucket.com/user/m62m76/media/IMG_1278_zps62e44c6c.jpg.html)

andresere
December 26, 2013, 07:44
I have two, a 16 and a 12. I have the original hang tag for the 12, it has been in my family since it was purchased in 40s. They paid $40 something for it.
I was shooting trap with it one day and I saw a fellow with a 20 gauge. Closer I looked the more it didn't look 'right'. Turned out to be a Remington Model 17. I didn't know at that time that the Ithaca design had came from that one.

I love both of mine. If I could find a 20 gauge with a ring tail fore end, my collection would be complete. See a lot of the 20s, but most do not have that type of fore end.

December 26, 2013, 08:32
my kids & I still use the Rem 17 in 20 gage. I believe it was born in 1924. We have killed more game with the 17 than all the other guns combined.

tigerfans2
December 26, 2013, 18:37
I have a couple of 37's upstairs I need to hold and pet for a little while

base704
December 31, 2013, 22:42
Anybody got a line on options for a stock with pistol grip for an old model 37?
A friend of mine picked up a really beat up 12 gauge...it was pitted and beat pretty badly, including a damaged muzzle. He bead blasted the metal, cut the barrel down to 20" and shot it with a flat black spray bomb...:rolleyes:
Better than bare steel.
He put a pistol grip on it with a matching synthetic fore grip.
Makes a good truck gun, but it'd be a whole lot more user friendly with a "real" stock. We haven't had a lot of luck finding a nice "tactical" style stock.
Any leads would be appreciated.
TIA...

tigerfans2
December 31, 2013, 22:55
GunpartsCorp.com has replacement buttstocks

45collector
January 03, 2014, 10:50
I picked one off Gunbroker last year for $185 shipped. It was made in '58 I believe and has a little finish wear on the barrel. Not bad and the gun functions nicely. Don't recall the barrel length but I wanna say 26". I love how light it is. Compared to my 28" Remington 11-87 I mainly use for waterfowl, the M37 is like carrying a toy.

M62/M76
January 03, 2014, 11:48
It's my first Ithaca 37.
I can't believe just how smooth the action is, never felt anything like it!

metalreptile
January 03, 2014, 20:43
I think I'd find a limbsaver slip on recoil pad, they are the best recoil pad I've found or look at putting a mercury recoil dampening system in the stock.

Picked up a "Medium" Limbsaver at Wally World the other day. Fits the 37 pretty well. Haven't shot it yet, but it has to be better than without it. Only negative so far is it does change the LOP somewhat. Doesn't seem to shoulder as fast, but part of that may be due to the rubber pad dragging through the brushpile on my face. :rofl:

KoKodog
January 15, 2014, 14:13
I've fondled my fair share of shotguns and have slobbered like Pavlov's dog over many of them but,
there is not one that comes up to the shoulder quicker than any of my Model 37's (for me anyhow).

I have one that rests beside my recliner and lots of friends and family do not like that I chopped
2" off the stock and added a 1" Kick-EEZ recoil pad, but it is not for them, it is for me while I am
sitting in the recliner, I can close my eyes and swing it up to my shoulder and when I open my eyes,
I am right on target, no doubt about it. I bought it off of gunbroker a few years back, with a already
chopped barrel & bead sight installed (I do not really need a bead or any sight on a shotgun,
it just pulls the eye away from the intended target and causes misses)

It did not take too long before my friends & family wanted to become members of the "Model 37 Club" too

With bottom eject you can run a Model 37 right or left handed or even switch hit side to side without
any problems, and the receiver is all steel, not aluminum alloy

for anyone looking for a different stock or to replace a split (corncob) forearm,

Choate Mark 5 Pistol Grip Buttstock Ithaca 37 Synthetic Black
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/644308/choate-mark-5-pistol-grip-buttstock-ithaca-37-synthetic-black

Choate Forend Ithaca 37 Composite Black
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/177169/choate-forend-ithaca-37-composite-black

the video at the link below is a very good example of a point that I tried to make
to a brain dead idiot that was my supervisor at the time of the riots (April 1992)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IMpmIJmHiXI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

anyhow, this supervisior claimed that there was no way to stop a huge violent crowd that was rioting,
I told him just give me at least one man with balls big enough to stand beside me
and give us each a unlimited supply of 00-Buckshot and we will stop a crowd of
thousands, because once the first few volleys are unleashed the fight or flight
instinct will overcome all else (mostly the flight part) when the brains & blood
from the first few rows of bodies are sprayed all over the rows of bodies behind
them and the buckshot spread is going 6 to 8 rows deep hitting heads before the
front rows of dead bodies have completely hit the ground the flight instinct will
override all other ideas the crowd might have, they will turn and trample each other

in the video, those guys were having problems w/ their pump guns (Remington 870's ??? )
perhaps they should have cleaned and then lubed up w/ Frog Lube before starting
to fire the volleys, they look like they were using cheap (dirty) low brass for practice
which means a high concentration of fillers and nitrocellulose in the powder (very dirty)

all in all a very good example of what is possible with a group of motivated
individuals with equipment, ammo and skill sets

J. Armstrong
January 15, 2014, 17:28
It's my first Ithaca 37.
I can't believe just how smooth the action is, never felt anything like it!

You think that's smooth, try a High Standard !!!!

Whatever other pluses or minuses the H-S has, NOTHING comes even close when it comes to slick actions !!!

I do like the 37s, though.

grumpy1
January 15, 2014, 19:58
You think that's smooth, try a High Standard !!!!

Whatever other pluses or minuses the H-S has, NOTHING comes even close when it comes to slick actions !!!

I do like the 37s, though.

I might have to disagree on that. I own and love my H-S shotgun, its a 16 gauge and love walking fields with it. Just can't find reasonable priced ammo for it. Having put a few rounds through a Model 12, I have to say its action is smoother than the H-S.

In the video the one closest to the camera for most if the video is a Mossberg 590, the one next to him is a REM 870. The guy closest to the camera at the end looks to be a REM 1100/11-87.

J. Armstrong
January 15, 2014, 20:23
I might have to disagree on that. I own and love my H-S shotgun, its a 16 gauge and love walking fields with it. Just can't find reasonable priced ammo for it. Having put a few rounds through a Model 12, I have to say its action is smoother than the H-S.

In the video the one closest to the camera for most if the video is a Mossberg 590, the one next to him is a REM 870. The guy closest to the camera at the end looks to be a REM 1100/11-87.

I never saw or handled anything that ever came close to the H-S, but of course your model 12 ( and I love them, too :) ). may be an exception.

Making sure it is not loaded, rack the action on an H-S. Point the muzzle up vertically and depress the action release - under nothing more than its own weight the action will ( or should ) fully open. A lot of H-Ss have built up gunk over the years and they are built to pretty tight tolerances, so if she doesn't fully open she needs a bit of cleaning, is all.

Never saw any other shotty that could do that, but again, yours may be an exception ?