PDA

View Full Version : Star Z63 SMG

kev
December 19, 2013, 09:37
The forum's been a little dead lately and I happened to be shooting pics of other things so decided to drag this one out. Not really feeling up to writing much about it but since it's a gun that's not often seen I'll throw the pics up and answer any questions.

Basics,......Spanish 9mmP, 32rd and 25rd mags. A unique trigger system which is all the more interesting because all the reference books repeat the same error,................the trigger does NOT operate like the books say it does. You rest two fingers on the trigger and pull BOTH fingers to fire a burst. If you want semi-auto you simply pull with your bird finger on the lower portion. All the reference books claim that the top trigger position fires auto, but pulling the top trigger position alone gets you nothing,......no movement at all. Not nearly as complicated or unnatural as it sounds,........you actually pick it up very quickly.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=88057&stc=1&d=1524409625

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=88058&stc=1&d=1524409638

Texgunner
December 19, 2013, 15:50
Cool piece! If I recall correctly, Buck Rodgers had one just like it. Or was it Flash Gordon? Seriously, I love seeing something new to me at least.:beer:
Gary

doneill
December 19, 2013, 19:36
I doubt there are many of these in the registry. Thanks very much for posting this. What is the function of the device between the shroud and the barrel? Muzzle nut with groves to make it easy to hand turn? Heat dispersion?

Thanks

Dave O'Neill

Timber Wolf
December 20, 2013, 12:57
Interesting, I like the charging handle. I assume since the trigger looks like one stamped, folded piece that it is cut out for an internal protrusion for the upper finger to pull back?

kev
December 22, 2013, 01:01
The muzzle splines are milled integral with the barrel and lock it into the front trunnion. The gun is somewhat like the Sterling and disassembles the same way,......everything comes out the rear of the tube. The Sterling uses a couple of cap screws to mount the barrel into the trunnion, so the spline makes for a tool-free disassembly. Folding cocking handle is similar to the L1A1 but since it's open-bolt the handle is spring loaded forward.

The bolt is unique,....at least it's got one uncommon feature and another I haven't seen before. The moveable firing pin operates like the 1921/28 and M1 Thompson(not M1A1) and Beretta 38a. The lower button to the right of the breechface is actually the head of a rod that runs back through the bolt body and transfers bolt energy to a rocking pivot that in turn drives the firing pin forward. The bolt impacting the rear shoulder of the barrel shank is what drives the rod back and the firing pin forward through the rocker.

The unique feature is the upper button,....another rod running through the bolt body. It stows the spring loaded locking flap midway back on the bolt body. The locking flap is basically a drop safety,.......open-bolt subguns can fire when dropped if they're carried with the bolt closed on an empty chamber and a loaded mag in the well. When dropped inertia can allow the bolt to ride back far enough to strip a round from the magazine but not far enough to catch the sear, firing a round as the spring drives the bolt back forward. This locking flap prevents the bolt from retracting. The charging handle presses against the release rod and allows the bolt to be retracted manually. You would think that the flap would prevent the bolt from cycling during firing, but evidently the bolt cycles too fast for the flap to engage its recess during firing. With the bolt closed on an empty chamber and a cleaning rod down the bore, you cannot push the bolt back more than a small fraction of an inch before the lock engages.

I'm still trying to figure out the trigger system. Pulling back with both fingers draws the sear down and holds it there which results in auto fire until released. Pulling the semi section of the trigger doesn't do anything with the grip assembly removed and the action isn't visible when the grip is installed, so it's still magic to me. But it works.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=88059&stc=1&d=1524410106

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=88060&stc=1&d=1524410121

doneill
December 24, 2013, 22:46
Thanks for the photo and the details info!

GrrArgh
December 26, 2013, 10:38
Both the grip and trigger resemble the MG34s assembly. Seem to function similar from the description.

kev
April 22, 2018, 10:24
Just bringing this one back up to repair the pictures and to post a link to a nice vid that Ian at Forgotten Weapons produced. Ian gets it all right,.....no need to consult the reference books!

https://www.full30.com/video/28fca71605d852cb4a66a12fc139df25

Also, Bob Bowman has been bringing in demilled parts kits for the updated version of the gun, the Z-70. Guys on Weapons Guild are figuring out the process for rebuilding/rewelding the guns in a legal, semi-auto version. The Z-70 does away with the two-finger trigger and crossbolt safety replacing them both with a single three position safety/selector. Also the magwell is sized correctly for the 9mm Parabellum cartridge and the magazines do not incorporate a spacer like the Z-63 whose magwell is sized for the 9mm Largo. Unfortunately for me, it looks like the lower trigger assembly is not interchangeable with that of the Z-63.