PDA

View Full Version : My friend just purchased some fine S&W's

FUUN063
December 15, 2013, 22:32
A friend and I went over to another friend's house recently. This guy is selling some firearms and my buddy bought 2 S&W N frame .44 Specials, one being blued and one stainless steel. Models 24 and 624, respectively. They both are 3" barrels, NIB and have the nice finger groove wooden grips from the factory.

The price............................................. .................................................. ...

$500.00 each!

Leland
:fal:

Right Side Up
December 15, 2013, 22:49
Smokin' deal.

I bought an *as new* 3 inch 624 with box/papers a few years ago for $750 IIRC. Thought I did good on that one. It's worth more now.

FUUN063
December 16, 2013, 01:23
Guess what? There are more to be had there and we are going there on Tuesday. Also, he has 5 500 round cases of Brown Bear .308 ammo for $140.00 a case, Port for $400.00 a case of 1,000 and Cavim for $350.00 a case of 1,000. Hmmmm........

And, I bought a Ruger 77/22 wood stocked blued model NIB for $365.00.

Leland:biggrin:

Timber Wolf
December 16, 2013, 08:01
No pics, just a story.:mad:

FUUN063
December 16, 2013, 11:33
He does not get on the computer, let alone have a digital camera. But, if I get over there soon, I will take some with my phone.

Leland

BUFF
December 17, 2013, 06:01
Good prices, these are sought after sixguns. I paid $401.72 for my NIB blued 3 inch Model 24-3, and then $361.25 for the NIB stainless 3 inch Model 624.

Of course, that was in September, 1984 for the blued one and February, 1988 for the stainless one.

FUUN063
December 17, 2013, 12:17
Off to buy another rifle and some ammo today!! Somebody please stop me!! :rofl:

Leland

TenTea
December 17, 2013, 13:50
Off to buy another rifle and some ammo today!! Somebody please stop me!! :rofl:

Leland

Buy all the ammo...every last round.

Trust me on this!

Invest in precious metals = lead & brass & copper

catmguy445
December 18, 2013, 22:46
I don't know if those S&W's your buddy bought were ever a standard production item, but I'm pretty sure that they weren't. I have a 24-3 that I bought new a bunch of years ago. Mine is one that was ordered by a dealer named Lew Horton, and he routinely had S&W make up special non-standard revolvers for him. Back then, Smith would make any configuration revolver you could think of if you bought 5000 of them.

And Lew Horton did that fairly often. Seemed like about every six months or so, I'd see ads in Shotgun News touting the virtues of the latest Lew Horton Special, whatever it happened to be right then.

The 24-3 is one of the Lew Horton Specials. They came with a 3" barrel, K frame round butt on the N frame, red ramp front and white outline rear adjustable sights, combat trigger (smooth face, no serrations), and wood combat grips. Mine is a joy to shoot. It's very accurate, and the action is smooth as the proverbial baby's butt, plus the .44 Special hits like a ton of bricks at close range.

I don't know what they're valued at today, but compared to a standard Model 24, they have to be somewhat rare. Your buddy got a smokin' deal on them.

FUUN063
December 19, 2013, 02:17
Production items. Not Lew Horton's, sorry. They are nice, though.

Leland

BUFF
December 19, 2013, 03:00
History of the Model 24s in a nutshell:

S&W used names for their guns up until 1957, when they began using model numbers. Prior to 1957, the post-WWII adjustable sight .44 Special was known as the .44 Hand Ejector Fourth Model of 1950, Target, or .44 1950 Target, for short. (They made essentially the same gun in .45 ACP, too.) It became the Model 24 in 1957, the Model 24-1 in 1959 when the ejector rod thread was changed, and the Model 24-2 in 1961 when a screw in the front of the trigger guard was eliminated. There were a total of only 5,050 total of all of them made before the series was discontinued in 1966, most having been made before 1957. Most had 6-1/2 inch barrels, a few had 4 inch barrels and a very few had 5 inch barrels. They were, and are, scarce collectibles.

S&W reintroduced the .44 1950 Target in 1983, when they made 7,500 Model 24-3 revolvers, 2,625 4 inchers and 4,875 6-1/2 inchers. These sold out fast. Lew Horton contracted for 5,000 Model 24-3 guns with round butt frames and 3 inch barrels in 1984-1985. These sold like hotcakes. Lew Horton couldn't move them all and some were sold through S&W's standard dealer network.

S&W had stated when they began making the M-24-3 that they were only going to make 7,500 of the 4 and 6.5 inch guns, and when that didn't satisfy demand, they introduced the stainless steel Model 624 in 1985, again in 4 and 6.5 inch barrels. They didn't fix the number to be made and they made and shipped them until 1988 or so. They were a S&W-cataloged item for a few years. Lew Horton again contracted for and distributed a 3 inch, round butt version of the M-624; about 5,000 of these were made, again, not all being distributed by Lew Horton.

In 1990, Ellett Brothers, a distributor like Lew Horton, contracted with S&W to make a batch of specially-marked and -featured revolvers, 12 different guns, one each month. The July gun was the Model 24-4, a 6-1/2 incher called and marked "Through The Line." There were supposed to be 500 of each of the 12 guns to be sold as a set of 12 by subscription, but the deal fell through and there weren't 500 of each made. They were sold as sets and individual guns.

In 2001, Lew Horton contracted S&W for a variety of revolvers known as the "Heritage Series," made by the S&W Performance Center. This included about 300 Model 24-5 guns, with round (non-top-ribbed) 6.5 inch barrels and round butt frames with 4 screw sideplates, about half of them all blue finished and about half with color case-hardened frames done by Doug Turnbull.

Later, S&W made a batch of .44 Special sixguns with square butt frames and 3 inch barrels in both blue and nickel finishes, I think marked Model 24-6.

Then, there was a couple series of fixed sight, 6 shot .44 Specials, some marked as Thunder Ranch commemoratives and some not, and some 5 shot guns made on the smaller L frame, with both fixed and adjustable sights, but we can talk about them another time.

The .44 Special is my favorite revolver cartridge.

Rayman
December 24, 2013, 18:59
I have a couple 296's and love the 44spl round. Sadly did not have the foresight to stock up on a k or two of brass though.

FUUN063
December 24, 2013, 20:20
As further investigation reveals, this same person selling off the revolvers also has a NIB Ruger 9mm revolver in stainless. Although the box is missing the moon clips and the small post in the box that the trigger guard goes on when stored in the box, it is still NIB. I wonder what he wants for it? Hmmmm.........................

Leland

Retired Bum
December 25, 2013, 07:48
I have had an on/off affair with the .44 S&W Special cartridge over a 35 year span. My first was a Charter Arms stainless Bulldog with the three inch barrel. Good looking piece but it turned out to be a clunker like so of the Charter Arms handguns did.

Then I ordered two of the S&W Model 24-3's when I read about them in a gun rag. Both barrel lengths. It took a while but they arrived at the dealer and I took possession. The 6.5 inch was stolen from my home in a burglary. Why the thief didn't take the four incher next to it I have no idea. A few years later another dealer in town had a NIB 6.5 incher in the showcase and I purchased it.

When the Model 624's were released I purchased a four inch to use as a shooter. Then shortly after that I stumbled across an old 6.5 inch Model 1926 .44 Hand Ejector with a factory lanyard on the butt. It turned out to be one of the Wolff & Klar models that the old Texas based distributor had made for them.

My last .44 Special was one of the new L frame Model 696 no dash five shooters I ordered circa 1996.

Needless to say I like the .44 Special but I seldom shoot any of the revolvers I have chambered for it anymore. I handload the round which is a good thing because finding factory ammo is just about impossible these days. Sometimes I shoot the .44 S&W Russian round which I handload as well.

Too bad Colt dropped the .44 Special from the line up in the Single Action Army. I remember reading that Skeeter Skelton always thought very highly of that combination.

And so it goes.

The Retired One