PDA

View Full Version : Ruger SR22 Pistol ?

Gazz
December 15, 2013, 11:36
Does anybody have any experience with the Ruger SR22 pistol? I was interested in the Walther polymer framed .22 auto pistol for a bit but never bought one because of some reliability issues or other problems that I have heard about. The Ruger seems to be a bit more rugged feeling and while a bit larger overall, seems to have the same appeal to me. Curious to know what you folks think about them.

wolfspotter1
December 15, 2013, 20:30
Don't have any experience myself. Favorites are my old 1965 Ruger Standard and Single Six in 22lr, 22mag.
According to the Ruger forum, you can get a good one or a lemon.
Check out past threads here and good luck.
http://rugerforum.net/ruger-rimfires/

ALL FAL
December 15, 2013, 20:50
Go and shoot one to know if you like it or not, the ruger has to be better than the Walther abortion.

I am a happy MK1 target owner and would not hesitate to buy the SR 22 if I wanted a lighter .22 pistol.

Please let us know how it shoots and digests any form of .22 ammo there is without fail. :angel:

ftierson
December 15, 2013, 21:02
I have an early Walther P22 and a Ruger SR22.

The slide of the Walther is made out of zinc and the Ruger's slide is aluminum.

While I have had no problems with my Walther P22, many others have...

My advice is to buy the Ruger SR22 and forget the Walther P22...

Forrest

shortround
December 15, 2013, 21:18
I have an SR22 and have had no feeding or ejection problems with it other than with CCI quiet while shooting suppressed. I've only shot around 100 rounds in it so far.

Timber Wolf
December 16, 2013, 07:59
I shot one that belonged to another fellow at the range the other day. I liked it. Enough that I seriously considered buying one. But I already have three MKII Rugers (and lots of mags) so I decided I was good on .22 autos for now.

ftierson
December 16, 2013, 12:27
I shot one that belonged to another fellow at the range the other day. I liked it. Enough that I seriously considered buying one. But I already have three MKII Rugers (and lots of mags) so I decided I was good on .22 autos for now.

Having said that, the Ruger Mark II and the Ruger SR22 are really somewhat birds of different feathers.

I have a Ruger Mark I (5 1/2 bullbarrel) that I like very much and that is an extremely accurate gun.

But I also have the SR22 for different shooting reasons.

Then again, I've never needed much of an excuse to pick up a new gun, if you catch my drift.

Just sayin'... :)

Forrest

Timber Wolf
December 16, 2013, 14:26
I've never needed much of an excuse to pick up a new gun, if you catch my drift. Just sayin'... :) Forrest

You are speaking my language, I completely understand.;)

Gazz
December 17, 2013, 22:38
Yeah, not much need here really. My shooting buddy bought one and since it looks like a fun pistol, I did make the purchase. No chance to shoot it yet though. I'll let you know how it goes.

Gazz
December 22, 2013, 08:36
Guess I am pleased with the purchase! At 25', my groups are about 25 cent size, or what I can cover with a quarter. There are usually a couple holes outside the quarter but I think that is me and the fact it is really hard to see the sights at the indoor range of my club (the lighting in there really sucks). Groups were shot while resting my arms on the bench. I did open up an old brick of Federal 36gr HV for the occasion which the pistol had a tough time cycling. Seems there was only enough energy to eject the fired empty but not enough to pick up a fresh round and although this only happened a few times, it is not the ammo for this pistol. This may change after a few more rounds have gone through the gun and it is broken in though. The Mini-Mags I shot worked just fine and both varieties of ammo shot similar sized groups. Overall, I am pleased with the purchase and the pistol will be easy to take along on walks or bike rides in the woods.