PDA

View Full Version : Spent my " FAL receiver" money today.

garyd1961
December 05, 2013, 19:39
Didn't buy no receiver though, I got this instead since I get a one time 25% discount. It's 308 win and I got just a tad over $300 in the rifle and scope.

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff398/garya1961/ruger308_zps300d89bb.jpg

Sorry about the large picture. I'm working on resizing but ain't quite got it figured out.

Artful
December 05, 2013, 19:42
The Price is right let us know how she shoots.

garyd1961
December 05, 2013, 20:35
The Price is right let us know how she shoots.

Will do. I did remove the stickers after the picture, duh. The only thing I really don't like is the cheap stock. I thinking about filling the hollow with expanding foam. I plan to put a sling on it also. The cheap Simmons scope is relatively bright and clear for the price. As long as it doesn't fly apart it will do what I want.
Well I just took care of the sling. I robbed one off a mauser sporter I had sitting in the corner.

MAINER
December 06, 2013, 10:45
Will do. I did remove the stickers after the picture, duh. The only thing I really don't like is the cheap stock. I thinking about filling the hollow with expanding foam. I plan to put a sling on it also. The cheap Simmons scope is relatively bright and clear for the price. As long as it doesn't fly apart it will do what I want.
Well I just took care of the sling. I robbed one off a mauser sporter I had sitting in the corner.

Glad you removed the stickers, hate to see a grown man walking about with stickers on his rifle. ;)

Not familiar with the rifle, Ruger? Anyway, it looks good and hard to beat the price for a 308 bolt gun.

I filled a hollow stock with plastic bags jammed in with a wood dowel. Can't believe how many bags it took to fill the stock, but it made the stock a little more dense and no hollow sound when you thump on it.

I was cautioned about using expanding foam for this purpose as some of it develops quite a bit of pressure and will bulge the stock. Door and Window foam is supposed to be the low pressure variety.

garyd1961
December 06, 2013, 17:29
Glad you removed the stickers, hate to see a grown man walking about with stickers on his rifle. ;)

Not familiar with the rifle, Ruger? Anyway, it looks good and hard to beat the price for a 308 bolt gun.

I filled a hollow stock with plastic bags jammed in with a wood dowel. Can't believe how many bags it took to fill the stock, but it made the stock a little more dense and no hollow sound when you thump on it.

I was cautioned about using expanding foam for this purpose as some of it develops quite a bit of pressure and will bulge the stock. Door and Window foam is supposed to be the low pressure variety.

It appears to be a well made rifle except for the stock and finish. It looks a little different now. I painted the barrel and receiver with Dupli-Color engine enamel DE 1634 low gloss black. I removed the buttpad and found a piece of squared off styro-foam in it. I remembered someone mentioning the grocery bags so I stuffed a few in all the hollow spots I could get to.
It has a hammer forged barrel and adjustable trigger. It also has a tri-lugged bolt all three lugs at the bolt face which is supposed to improve accuracy. I wasn't all that excited about it when I bought it but now I can hardly wait to try it out.

MAINER
December 06, 2013, 18:27
Looks MUCHO better. Hope you'll post a range report when you can. That would be quite a while if you lived in these parts. Scrapping ice of the bench to shoot takes a lot of the fun out of the deal. :redface:

I'm keeping an eye open for a handy 308 bolt gun, but I tend not to stray far from Mauser types.

garyd1961
December 06, 2013, 20:12
"I'm keeping an eye open for a handy 308 bolt gun, but I tend not to stray far from Mauser types"

I have been wanting a 308 bolt since I got into FALs but I already had a nice 270 win so I kept putting it off. I almost didn't buy this one but I'm glad I did now.

Super B
December 07, 2013, 01:05
I bought a Howa .308HB and it is by far the most accurate rifle I own.

garyd1961
December 07, 2013, 09:52
A close up of my paint job. It matches the scope perfectly.
Edit- I got it bore sighted but the weather turned bad today and it may be a while before I get to shoot it.
Edit- I know it's a cheap scope but I plan to shoot it until it breaks.

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff398/garya1961/ruger30802_zpsec194b7d.jpg