PDA

View Full Version : Do they still put powder in the cases?

D P Six
December 02, 2013, 19:10
For the first time in a year I have been able to buy a couple of bricks of 22's. Specifically Winchester T22 lead round nose , 40 gr, Match, 1150 fps. While the stuff works in revolvers and a Marlin lever gun, in two of our S&W Model 41's it would FTE every 2nd or 3rd round. When the gun did fire, the empties dribbled out and the slide moved in slow motion. Did I get a bad batch or is the company cutting back on powder charges to save money? Is CCI the only thing that seems to work all the time?

MAINER
December 02, 2013, 19:44
Donno, but my Win. M 52 loves that ammo. Very accurate for cheap. Well, used to be cheap, anyways. :sad:

I believe the ammo is loaded to produce the 1150fps Match velocity. Not enough oomph in the load for your 41's, probly true for Ruger's and Buckmark's as well.

357ross
December 02, 2013, 19:50
CCI seems to be the only manufacturer with quality control in .22's now days.

CG&L
December 02, 2013, 19:56
You have a Marlin 39A? I have a couple of them myself. An older one made in the early 80s and one of the newer ones with the safety. Not Remington new!!!

Winchester 22 ammo went down hill about 10 years ago, maybe 12.
It's little wonder they don't work in your S&W 41. Nice gun but a 41 can be finicky with good ammo.

If you think the ammo is weak, you can crono it if you have a crono.
I personally don't think it's worth checking. It's just crappy ammo

I still have 8 boxes of bulk 500rd Winchester that I've had for over 10 years. Everything else get shot but that stuff

D P Six
December 02, 2013, 20:19
You have a Marlin 39A? I have a couple of them myself. An older one made in the early 80s and one of the newer ones with the safety. Not Remington new!!! ....

Captain, I do like my 39A. Bought it new in 1960. Can't even guess how many rounds have been through it. They really don't make them like they use to. You are correct about Model 41's being finicky about ammo but this Winchester ammo has redefined the meaning of finicky.

meltblown
December 02, 2013, 20:26
Captain, I do like my 39A. Bought it new in 1960. Can't even guess how many rounds have been through it. They really don't make them like they use to. You are correct about Model 41's being finicky about ammo but this Winchester ammo has redefined the meaning of finicky.

1960 Wow! Thinking back...I was swimming around in my mom. I have a Nylon 77 with probably no more that 150 rounds down the tube, and it will not cycle well without the CCI.

D P Six
December 02, 2013, 20:41
1960 Wow! Thinking back...I was swimming around in my mom. .....

:)

garyd1961
December 07, 2013, 12:04
I have an older Federal bulk pack of 550 rounds. I noticed when I got a newer pack a couple years ago they had cut the fps rating back. I guess it's a trend to save money.