PDA

View Full Version : shotgun barrels shorter than 18.5 inches...

hershey
November 24, 2013, 07:51
ok guys, don't ask me why I feel the need to ask this, but in the spirit of the law, could a RIFLED 12 guage barrel be 16" long and configured w/ a folding stock, and a vertical grip mounted forward of the trigger? or a RIFLED 12 guage barrel be shorter than 16" and configured as a pistol?

SPEEDGUNNER
November 24, 2013, 07:59
Why do you ask?

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-short-barreled-rifles-shotguns.html

hershey
November 24, 2013, 08:44
Why do you ask?

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-short-barreled-rifles-shotguns.html

basically, my question is in the terminology, in smooth bore vs. rifled bore, does rifling in the barrel constitute the definition of the classification, or the chambering.

is a 12 guage chambering automatically subject to shotgun laws and must be 18.5 inches regardless, or if the 12 guage weapon has rifling in the barrel, do the 16" rifle rules take precedence.

this though process started when I realized how many shotgun barrels I got laying around, and had the thought of shortening them for tactical/self defense weapons, then the question was 18.5" or 16"...

fnogger
November 24, 2013, 20:39
basically, my question is in the terminology, in smooth bore vs. rifled bore, does rifling in the barrel constitute the definition of the classification, or the chambering.

is a 12 guage chambering automatically subject to shotgun laws and must be 18.5 inches regardless, or if the 12 guage weapon has rifling in the barrel, do the 16" rifle rules take precedence.

this though process started when I realized how many shotgun barrels I got laying around, and had the thought of shortening them for tactical/self defense weapons, then the question was 18.5" or 16"...

Don't forget the "destructive device" NFA category, Having a bore over 1/2" (12ga is not quite 3/4") is a no-no unless recognized.. have a feeling that even if you avoid the SBS designation that you'll end up in the DD desigation

"Any firearm with a bore over 0.50 inch except for shotguns or shotgun shells which have been found to be generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes. (Many firearms with bores over 0.50" inch, such as 12-gauge shotguns, are exempted from the law because they have been determined to have a "legitimate sporting use".)"

Timber Wolf
December 09, 2013, 08:19
Don't know, but don't really see a couple of inches worth it anyway.