PDA

View Full Version : Older P220 trigger/hammer reset issue.

oz in SC
November 13, 2013, 06:58
Just got this yesterday,older (1995) P220 with box and thee mags.
Has some wear on finish,but not bad.
Got it home,started messing with it and noticed that occasionally the trigger would not reset first time,would need to pull trigger again.
Then noticed any pressure on the trigger caused the hammer to move,as would any pressure on the decock lever.

After more study and comparing it to a newer P220,seems the hammer doesn't reset.Comparing the two,it seems the hammer stays forward.
This doesn't happen every time,but when it does,there is an audible click heard when you pull the trigger again to reset it.

From reading,this may be the hammer reset spring but I am not positive.

Any help would be appreciated.

Wildcat
November 13, 2013, 16:15
Hammer reset springs do occasionally break and create the problem you describe.

The spring is not difficult to replace but you have to do a detail strip to get at it. When I needed one, they weren't available so I fabbed up a substitute by reshaping a spring I scrounged from something else. It got me through until I could get the proper part:
http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/trigger-group-parts/hammer-parts/hammer-springs/hammer-reset-spring-blue-two-tone-prod21843.aspx

oz in SC
November 13, 2013, 16:18
It was indeed the reset spring,luckily the gun store I bought the gun from had a bunch of spares.

Unfortunately I have done something wrong in reassembly and so need to take it all back down again.

gunplumber
November 13, 2013, 18:38
there is a hole in the transfer bar. This is a stress relief hole. It is often confused for the transfer bar spring hole. The spring goes in the notch under the transfer bar - this is the most common reassembly error.

oz in SC
November 13, 2013, 19:56
Thanks for the tip.
I am going to disassemble and take a look again.

oz in SC
November 15, 2013, 23:22
Got it back together and working finally.
Thanks for the help.