PDA

View Full Version : Mossburg Model 44US

VRP72
November 09, 2013, 15:17
Took my daughter to our local indoor range (MA Customs, Jesup, GA) for her birthday. We carried my CMP Mossburg Model 44US and Mossburg Palamino Model 400 plus we rented a H&K MP5 and shot full auto too. That was a BLAST!

My questions concern 2 issues with the 44US: 1st, some rounds failed to chamber properly. I have a replacement 7 round magazine purchased from Havlins years ago when I purchased the 44US from CMP. The 2nd issue is about a half a dozen or so rounds failed to fire. I chambered those same rounds in the Model 400 and they fired. Perhaps the firing pin needs cleaning? Do I need to remove the Lyman peep site to remove the bolt?

The 44US is a real tack driver! I look forward to your replies. :bow:

PA Garand Boy
November 09, 2013, 19:43
The Mossberg mags from Havlins are generally high quality and should work.

I got some for my 44's before the mags went OOP a while back.

One of my CMP 44US rifles had feeding issues. By swapping some parts around I found it to be the mounting bracket (angle bar) that screws int the receiver and holds the mag in place.

Numrich used to sell them for about $12 and that fixed the problem.

You should be able to remove the bolt by just pulling the trigger and pulling the bolt out.

Clean it out good. In the worst case, firing pins and springs are cheap.

VRP72
November 09, 2013, 20:13
Thanks PA Garand Boy. Have you tried the 15 round magazine from Havlins?

BUFF
November 09, 2013, 20:57
I have 2 of them I bought way back when from CMP. I bought new trigger guards and magazines from Havlin. That is it, just stuck them away, never even cleaned the dried up preservative off of either of them.

What do these sell for now days?

PA Garand Boy
November 10, 2013, 10:41
Thanks PA Garand Boy. Have you tried the 15 round magazine from Havlins?

Nope, just the standard ones. I've never been a fan of the extended capacity mags for 22LR bolt guns. It's not that they don't work, they just look goofy to me.

Timber Wolf
November 19, 2013, 08:42
Nope, just the standard ones. I've never been a fan of the extended capacity mags for 22LR bolt guns. It's not that they don't work, they just look goofy to me.

While I agree in theory, in actual practice I like a higher capacity mag. I particularly despise trying to pick the 6-round mag out of a Remington 513-T with my finger nails. At least the ten round mag hangs out enough to give you something to snatch it out! And I would rather shoot 10 (15, 20, 25, etc.) times between reloadings anyway.;)

fnogger
December 01, 2013, 13:40
Bolt should remove simply by pulling trigger and pullign the bolt all the way back, no need ot remove the peep sight. At least on my 44us-c model.

No issue with feeding with the one mag I have. Not sure if it is the original mag to the gun or not... I'd like a few more, but I only spent $80 on the rifle (complete except sling swivels - does have the brackets for them).

palmettomoon
December 11, 2013, 12:20
The Lyman peep (rear) will need to be removed if you are attempting to remove the bolt from your 44 US. There is a button on the top of the bridge that the aperture screws into. Depress that button and the sight should lift off. There is a set screw in the bridge too. If you drive that screw down until is touches the sight base, it will serve as a stop or reference for replacing the bridge.