PDA

View Full Version : 3D Printed 1911 - accurate, but not cheap

Story
November 09, 2013, 08:37
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11/08/first_3d_printed_gun_more_accurate_than_commercial ly_produced_equivalent/

W.E.G.
November 09, 2013, 10:00
Must be a good one.

Even throws brass right back in the face of the shooter - just like every other 1911 I ever shot.

TOWS220
November 09, 2013, 12:15
Terrible, anybody can just build a gun now. All it takes is a few thousand dollars worth of equipment and the knowledge to use it. Better ban this stuff fast, then get to work on machine tools that make real guns. Shouldn't be too hard, we don't make the here anymore.

Story
November 09, 2013, 21:51
Must be a good one.

Even throws brass right back in the face of the shooter - just like every other 1911 I ever shot.

http://www.wekenshop.com/images/44726.jpg

2barearms
November 10, 2013, 15:34
Terrible, anybody can just build a gun now. All it takes is a few thousand dollars worth of equipment and the knowledge to use it. Better ban this stuff fast, then get to work on machine tools that make real guns. Shouldn't be too hard, we don't make the here anymore.

Funny how an invention that's supposed to revolutionize the world by taking the control from the evil capitalists ends up helping to arm the world.

Col. Bat Guano
November 10, 2013, 16:26
Maybe it's my imagination or crappy internet connection, but in the video, it looks like the slide is hanging up a bit as it returns to battery.

shlomo
November 12, 2013, 09:24
Am I to understand that these guys "printed" a finished, rifled, bore?

If so, I would like to know more about how it was done.

Slow
November 21, 2013, 10:46
Am I to understand that these guys "printed" a finished, rifled, bore?

If so, I would like to know more about how it was done.

build it vertically muzzle down.

Enquiring Minds
April 28, 2014, 20:35
Oh yeah... OH YEAH, BABY!... 3D "printing", more properly known as Selective Additive Machining Technology... yep, the aerospace industry is going to develop and debug this for their own vested interest, but all of humanity will benefit, and then...

... a whole lotta Sten kits izz gonna... well, you know. MAC-10s, from scratch, complete w/ "serial" #--check. MG-3s ... just for practice, verifying the "data set" is all... nothing to see here...

Gonna need some 3D laser scanners as well, to expedite the reverse-engineering thaaaang.