PDA

View Full Version : Silencers Legal ?

stoner
November 03, 2013, 23:58
Friend told me the other day that it was now legal to purchase & own a silencer, without a Class III license. First I heard of this.

What do you guys say? What is the current deal on these things?

Many thanks in advance!

tdb59
November 04, 2013, 00:02
200.00 tax, paperwork, 6-11 month wait.

Same as before.

http://www.atf.gov/files/forms/download/atf-f-5320-4.pdf

BigBoy1
November 04, 2013, 03:48
Friend told me the other day that it was now legal to purchase & own a silencer, without a Class III license. First I heard of this.

What do you guys say? What is the current deal on these things?

Many thanks in advance!

Find a better informed friend. Nothing has changed - $200 transfer fee with a 15 month wait.

stoner
November 04, 2013, 16:42
BigBoy 1, and tdb 59, thanks for your replies. You all have confirmed what I originally thought.

The guy that told me that was very adamant, claiming he has a friend that had bought several, and that silencers had been removed from the NFA.

I will see him in a few days, and tell him he is FOS, and that he can prove me wrong by simply buying one within a week and show it.

Thanks fellas

meltblown
November 04, 2013, 16:51
Your friend is mis informed. Maybe he would prove it to you by taking one down to an ABC office and see if they let him leave.

Artful
November 04, 2013, 22:19
38 states and counting now - we are gaining ground :bow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDkp4a_f5Rc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIlg89AC09A

He may be thinking about the oil can/solvent trap - as long as you don't shoot thru it
it's legal but your standing on the edge of the cliff with all your toes hanging over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t_pcWPdSDs

Pay the $$$ and be legal - Jails are full enough

Thundermaker
November 05, 2013, 07:32
The rules for suppressors (they are not "silencers". That is a term coined by gun grabbers) have not changed. Now, some states have made it legal to hunt with them. That may be where the confusion lies.

greenpeas
November 05, 2013, 10:46
The rules for suppressors (they are not "silencers". That is a term coined by gun grabbers) have not changed. Now, some states have made it legal to hunt with them. That may be where the confusion lies.

They've been called "silencers" ever since Hiram Maxim invented them. Suppressor is a newer term more commonly used by Airsoft-type "Operators".

They are defined as "silencers" or "mufflers" on the ATF forms. Have you ever filled one out?

L Haney
November 05, 2013, 17:33
They've been called "silencers" ever since Hiram Maxim invented them. Suppressor is a newer term more commonly used by Airsoft-type "Operators".

They are defined as "silencers" or "mufflers" on the ATF forms. Have you ever filled one out?

1.c. (7), of the Instructions section of the Form 4 does use the word "silencer'.

I like it, sounds sexier than "suppressor" anyway.

mpnv
November 05, 2013, 17:36

Tomato's...........Tomatto's:)

Thundermaker
November 05, 2013, 18:02
I really don't care what the ATF calls them. The makers call them suppressors. That is really a more accurate term anyway, since they don't render a gun silent. Our evil assault rifles are still very noisy with suppressors attached.

riverratmike
November 07, 2013, 08:19
After talking to about five, or so, people that have them I got as many different answers as to how much time it took for the tax stamp to process. From a few months to over a year. Also there were different opinions about filing for a trust. etc. But then I came across a way to make all this go smoothly. I hired a gun friendly lawyer. Well worth the few hundred bucks for him to fill out the paperwork and otherwise deal with the ATF. He said in the past waiting for them to issue the tax stamp took from a month to about seven. As an aside, it took him longer to access the AFT website because it was shut down for awhile. Sound familiar?

"Non Iligitimus Carborendum" Translation: Don't let the bastards wear you down.

greenpeas
November 07, 2013, 10:45
After talking to about five, or so, people that have them I got as many different answers as to how much time it took for the tax stamp to process. From a few months to over a year. Also there were different opinions about filing for a trust. etc. But then I came across a way to make all this go smoothly. I hired a gun friendly lawyer. Well worth the few hundred bucks for him to fill out the paperwork and otherwise deal with the ATF. He said in the past waiting for them to issue the tax stamp took from a month to about seven. As an aside, it took him longer to access the AFT website because it was shut down for awhile. Sound familiar?

"Non Iligitimus Carborendum" Translation: Don't let the bastards wear you down.

You hired a lawyer to fill out you NFA paperwork? Why?

If you can fill out a job application then there is no reason you can't complete your own NFA paperwork. Actually the dealer that is doing your transfer would normally do your paperwork included with the transfer cost.

The only reason I can see for doing a trust would be if your local LEO is unwilling to sign your paperwork.

riverratmike
November 07, 2013, 14:45
I hired a lawyer to take care of the whole process, not just the trust. Judging from the wide scope of the postings on this thread I decided I needed someone who actually knew what he was talking about. His fee was not significant compared to the cost of the suppressor ($900) and the tax stamp ($200). He customized the wording of the trust for my situation. He knew the best responses to questions like (paraphrasing) what are you going to use this for? Ans: "For all legitimate purposes". Bottom line is that he did it well and I didn't even have to exert my brain thinking about it. If you didn't (don't) need a lawyer yourself then good for you.

riffraff2
November 07, 2013, 17:47
I really love this site. It is the best damn gun site on the internet(IMO). I love you guys and hope you all stick around this earth for as long as you can.

Live long and prosper and have a damn nice day while you are at it too.