PDA

View Full Version : WTK How to determine general value of Enfield?

traines
October 31, 2013, 16:46
I have a Savage Enfield that I am curious how much the general value is so I have a clue what my rifles I own are worth. Any clue on how to even begin?

RG Coburn
October 31, 2013, 19:03
Bubba'ed or original military config? Military worth more,usually. Bore condition? Finish condition? Wood condition? Sights? Micro sights worth more than simple flips.
I have a Savage made No4mk1*. Good to very good shape overall,military stock,with spike bayo. Bore very good. Were I to sell it,my ballpark value would be in the $350-400 range.
The thing that pushes guys away from Enfields right now is un-obtainium milsurp ammo.

JR in the NW
November 01, 2013, 01:46
I'd guess if you could prove it was owned by a general it has a lot of value.

shuvelrider
November 02, 2013, 09:17
For any of the milsurp rifles to have ammo on hand, I suggest you get into reloading. Rolling your own gurantees reliability, whether your replicating ball rounds for the range or hunting rounds for the field. You also have the benefit of rolling some rounds at your leisure, rather then scrambling around looking for some surplus, or paying commecial prices for a box at the local store. Just the peace of mind knowing you have at least 50 rounds loaded up and stashed is worth it. Try finding some 7.5 Swiss or French when you want some, those are harder to find.

For the value of your rifle, a clean decent Savage in military form is bringing 300 all day long easily. If it's been altered "bubba'ed", then half that price or less depending on how badly Bubba carved on it. If steel has been removed, then just the sum of remaining usable parts to a collector. This of course in the circle of people who collect milsurps in correct form "original". There are some very nicely done "Sporterizations" done to milsurps over the years by competant gunsmiths and large gun houses/importers for the civilian market, some of those are beutiful and rival anything on the civilian market for sporting/hunting rifles. Check the internet for your rifle and see what people are asking AND what that type rifle has sold for.

RG Coburn
November 02, 2013, 22:15
Aim has swiss gp-11 right now,about 10.50 per 20,plus ship. Thats cheaper than any .308 out there.

traines
November 03, 2013, 09:30
It has the flip up 300/600 yard sites and has not been sportarized, just trying to get a feel for it.

Speaking of which will start research into reloading the 303

shuvelrider
November 03, 2013, 21:01
I have a stash of brass for my K31 and do good with that, you still have to figure in shipping on that ammo. That GP-11 is good stuff though, shoots clean for Berdan primed.

Gazz
November 06, 2013, 06:51
I hope all of the above answered your question. Certainly knowing that ammo for your K31 being cheaper than .308 was helpful.

I think the best way to check for value is do a search for Savage SMLE on Gunbroker in completed items. Prices on SMLE's have been going up - they used to be a dime a dozen for around $100 not so long ago.