PDA

View Full Version : Is WalMart messing with me?

Timber Wolf
October 30, 2013, 09:48
I don't know if I am being f**ked with or I just talked to half-assed folks at WalMart. Was in last week and broke down and asked the nice girl in Sporting Goods what the secret was to actually buying .22 ammo. She said come in Monday, Wednesday, Friday, or Saturday morning at 7 AM, that was when they put the shipments out that came in the night before. I was able to go by this morning (Wednesday) and it was an older dude on the counter. I asked about .22 and he said he had just checked the back before coming out on the floor and they had none. When I told him what the other girl had said he said no, definitely not Wednesday, come Tuesday, Thursday, or Sunday morning!:rolleyes: OK, we have the whole week covered, just come every day at 7 and stand around the WalMart Sporting Goods department.:mad::mad: You can't make this s**t up.

Abominog
October 30, 2013, 09:52
Common complaint country-wide. They get shipments every day. Some may or may not have ammo, may or may not have .22 They have no clue. Besides which most of the .22 doesn't make it to the shelf.

W.E.G.
October 30, 2013, 10:03
What is it with the .22 hoarding?

Go fishing.

Fix the grout in the bathroom.

Or stand around at Walmart every morning so you can "score" a brick of .22 that you can then carry to "the gun show" where you stand around some more in hopes of making $20 profit.

I'm sorry, but that sounds desperate to me.
Nigh on delusional.

Seek help.

JohnnyMac
October 30, 2013, 10:16

I believe the ".22 hoarding syndrome" is just a newer manifestation of a malevolent miasmic energy that once coerced millions to hoard BubbleYum, Wacky Packages, Beanie Babies, Cabbage Patch Dolls, and that "spawn of Satan", the Tickle-Me Elmo doll.

Contact a mental health professional for help... or an exorcist.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQz0ACQbi0u_Zv1dHZ52wy2ivbH_MKtb nP_C36Z4MqjjMoWIHZl_Q

JMc

Sig220
October 30, 2013, 10:46
I never saw any 22 on the shelf of the local walmart, was talking to a clerk one day and they suggested to come in early 7am ish on MWF. I made it one Monday and found winchester 100 round boxes and CCI 50 round boxes on the shelf. When I asked the clerk about bulk boxes, they advised some old men were there before me and bought it as it placed on the shelves.

I asked for a 100 pack of Winchester and was quizzed as to whether I wanted 3 boxes.....I replied that I didn't need 3, just wanted one. It is apparent, that some spend their mornings buying up 22 ammo to sell at the "fun" shows. I know about free market, but they can KMA. I gots plenty of 22 already!!

Topbanana
October 30, 2013, 10:56

Go fishing.

Or stand around at Walmart every morning so you can "score" a brick of .22 that you can then carry to "the gun show" where you stand around some more in hopes of making $20 profit.

Nigh on delusional.

Seek help.

X2, WTH? I'm still working on the first brick I bought in high school...

m60shooter
October 30, 2013, 11:05
same story here in oklahoma with the local wal mart, i got a bucket 1400 rounds of remington from a place in indiana called GANDER MOUNTAIN . they had tons of every caliber you want. check them as they offer on line prices. not sure if they ship ammo or not. good luck.

Timber Wolf
October 30, 2013, 11:39
I am NOT hoarding, and I sure as hell am not buying it for resale. It is just that my daughter and I have shot a lot of .22 since I have been able to buy any and I hate to keep going farther and farther into the stash without resupply. Nor do I want to slow down or quit shooting.

W.E.G.
October 30, 2013, 11:48
I wish you luck.

But it IS the hoarders who are the cause of your predicament.

Jaxxas
October 30, 2013, 12:08
I'm a 22 hoarder, and those delusions, they are mine too! :mad:

ftierson
October 30, 2013, 12:10
I wish you luck.

But some of us past hoarders have had no shortage of .22LR these past couple of years.

Something to keep in mind for the future...

If there is one, of course, but I'm sure that goes without saying.

Forrest

W.E.G.
October 30, 2013, 12:11
I bought 3000 rounds of .22 10 years ago.

Of that, I think I still have 2146 rounds.

...but I probably have burned through about 8000 rounds of .223 over that same time.

So many guns, so little time.

spider991
October 30, 2013, 12:26
Lgs here have 22 on the shelves along with 9mm,45 and reloading powder and primers...22 goes for bout 30 a 500rd brick..gun show had some too but a little more expensive.

TheRussian
October 30, 2013, 12:32
My wife, daughter and son all shoot 22lr
I have 4k rounds on avg
When we do a farm/range trip we will shoot an absurd amount in 5-6 hours

meltblown
October 30, 2013, 12:36
CTD has it for 0.30/round. Bawahahaha

TheRussian
October 30, 2013, 13:54
CTD has it for 0.30/round. Bawahahaha

lol f ctd

Topbanana
October 30, 2013, 15:06
LOLOLOLOL EFF CTD.

BOYCOTT!!!

meltblown
October 30, 2013, 15:38
Actually Timber, do you sign up for any notifications at the on line ammo dealers for when the stuff gets back in stock instead of waiting on Walmart? I picked up a 1000 rounds of Lapua back during the height of the mess for about $80. Since it's fun for your daughter, i can't blame you for trying to keep her interested.

Wildcat
October 30, 2013, 17:31
Well here's where 20 million rounds went this summer:

Federal Premium announcement: http://www.federalpremium.com/news/news_releases.aspx?id=454&brand=5&year=2013

"Federal Premium® Ammunition and sister company CCI® have dedicated 20 million rounds of rimfire ammunition to youth shooting sports programs. The Boy Scouts of America will receive 10 million .22 LR shells, and another 10 million will be sent to other organizations.

...Both Federal Premium and CCI continue to run their plants 24 hours a day, seven days a week—as they have for years. Despite the best efforts of over 2,000 employees working around the clock, customers are having trouble finding ammunition."

Dunno what the daily output is though.

I happened to find some CCI in a local Walmart two weeks ago. I bought what I was allowed to buy and went to the range.

JasonB
October 30, 2013, 18:37
Most of the Wal Marts here put a 1x 100rds box limit on back in the spring. For about a month .22LR could be found almost daily, then no more again. The flea market/gunshow/gunbroker gang started paying people who were in the store in the AM a few bucks to get in line and buy it up. Most of the centerfire stuff can be found now, especially with recent price increases.

Not hoarders.

D P Six
October 30, 2013, 19:08
Up until the end of last year, Boss Lady and I would shoot at least 1000rds of 22's/mo for matches and plinking. Bought 4 bricks every other month just to maintain the addiction. Our club has closed down all 22 matches because of the ammo issue. If things ever return to normal, I won't get caught short again. Go ahead, call me a future hoarder.

BIG50
October 30, 2013, 19:14
do like I did years ago get rid of all those little junky 22 guns and buy real guns and you will not have to worry about the 22 supply :rofl::biggrin:

JasonB
October 30, 2013, 20:16
Up until the end of last year, Boss Lady and I would shoot at least 1000rds of 22's/mo for matches and plinking. Bought 4 bricks every other month just to maintain the addiction. Our club has closed down all 22 matches because of the ammo issue. If things ever return to normal, I won't get caught short again. Go ahead, call me a future hoarder.

Hoarder ok.

Person buying to resell along with the claim the lack of ammo and high cost is due to DHS, the war, or anything else? They are just a ******* liar.

BIG 54R
October 30, 2013, 21:00
I shoot a metric crap ton:tongue: of 22lr so I understand stacking and stashing but even tho I don't like the resellers that drive the price up I fully understand the economics of supply and demand...not liking, but grudgingly understanding:redface:!

olgunner
October 30, 2013, 23:38
Historically, I shoot about a brick of .22 a month (and for those who care, slightly less than that of 5.56 and of 7.62, and slightly less than <i>that</i> of .45). So, historically, when I bought ammo, I'd buy a few bricks at a time--typically keeping maybe 6-10 bricks on hand.
I never considered that hoarding...just keeping stocked up.

When the drought came, I didn't panic because I had "plenty" to last a while (maybe 8 bricks). But as this crap dragged on, I found myself changing my shooting habits out of fear of running dry.
And THAT sucks. I don't like not being able to shoot as much as I want to.
So when availability does come back (and hopefully prices regulate a bit), I, too, will be a future "hoarder." I don't like the idea, but I do not want to find myself in this position again.

Figure I have maybe another 30 years of shooting ahead of me (I'm being optimistic). At a brick/mo, that's only 360 bricks.
Anyone know how many bricks comes on a standard pallet? I'll clear room in my shop.

Seriously, I'll get by with some reduced shooting and by buying what I can find that's not at rape-level prices, but next time I'll be prepared.

My biggest hassle these days is a lack of CCI MiniMags. I have a couple .22 conversion kits that love the stuff (and not much else), and I am down to my last 100rd box.
Frustrating as hell.

Timber Wolf
October 31, 2013, 12:24
Being a persistent whipping boy, I went by “my” WalMart this morning, on Thursday like the dude told me yesterday. Sure enough, he had gotten in ONE 6” square box full of 100ct CCI and had just finished putting it on the shelf. Like $7.98 a box. I thanked him but declined stating I was looking for bulk only. I would have been set though if tree rat was on the schedule for the weekend. ;) Yes I know beggars can't be choosers, but I have a lifetime supply of “good” ammo on hand. What I need is steel silhouette, paper, and steel challenge blasting ammo.

crcksht
November 01, 2013, 09:30
I haven't seen any .22 or much of anything else except for 12 ga. at Wally world from Knoxville to Chattanooga for at least 6 months.

Hoarders beware...that .22 you are hoarding has a relatively short shelf life. If you think it's going to keep 10-15 years, think again.

I have several bricks which I bought "back in the day" which are now nothing but duds... Some is less than eight years old.

Munster30
November 01, 2013, 11:49
An ammo dealer at the last fun show had some bricks of Blaser for $69 EACH. When asked about it he said he could sell it for $20 bucks a brick, but then he'd be sold out in a few minutes. This way, he explained he'll have it to sell to those that need it. WTH! He also had several bricks of other brands priced at $80 and higher.

Sig220
November 01, 2013, 11:54
I haven't seen any .22 or much of anything else except for 12 ga. at Wally world from Knoxville to Chattanooga for at least 6 months.

Hoarders beware...that .22 you are hoarding has a relatively short shelf life. If you think it's going to keep 10-15 years, think again.

I have several bricks which I bought "back in the day" which are now nothing but duds... Some is less than eight years old.

I have a different experience with 22 ammo bought previously.....it all shoots....even have some (Federal Lightening) that went underwater in a flood that better then 70% will still fire. I also have some Remington that less then 25% will fire. It was probably 20-25 years old when the flood occurred. All of the 22 ammo that was in dry storage is 100% reliable.

Many times when I looked at that ammo, I wondered why I bought so much, now I know. :)

ftierson
November 01, 2013, 12:44

You just got some shit ammo...

I'm still shooting stuff that I bought back in the 1970s (CCI Mini-mag, Win. Super-X plated, Federal Power-Flite (unplated), etc.) and I don't have any duds and the velocities are still normal when I do check them...

Where I DO have duds is with some of the current crap ammo produced by our 'leading' ammo manufacturers in the country...

Forrest

Sarge8497
November 02, 2013, 19:47
In 1988 I bought a Ruger 10-22 and 2500 rds of ammo. I think I have around 2300 rds left (I probably haven't shot it in the last 15 years). I did pickup a Reising Model 65 (from 1943) and a AR-7 Explorer this year but I haven't gotten around to shooting them yet either:(.

Jaxxas
November 02, 2013, 20:04
I go through 1500-200 rounds every summer when the grandkid visits. Hoard I will!

Tibodoe
November 02, 2013, 21:30
I have 10 bricks on hand. I usually shoot a brick or two a month.
I have drastically reduced my shooting.

ramiller
November 03, 2013, 07:31
Stopped by Walmart Sat night to get some items and they had .223 150 round boxes of american eagle for 69.95 also 250 rd boxes of .40 and .45 for $100 and$ 110, also 9mm and other ammo, shelves were stocked except for .22cal . probable 25 boxes of .223

gunnut1
November 10, 2013, 12:37
Was at Cabels and asked the same question. The answer I got "it makes no differance. We get ammo orders eveyday and IF we get any .22 it goes fast." The guy told me they order thousands of rounds and only get a few hundred.

Rudolf
November 10, 2013, 12:50
they are at the flea markets and fun shows here but at stupid prices

like 50 to 75 for a box.

I do the fun shows also and I am seeing them not make sales ...so hopefully it will die down soon.

Same situation here...just old dudes buying it up

DYNOMIKE
November 10, 2013, 20:35
I heard they quite making .22 on Friday.....
ALL .22 LR that's currently available is being distributed between the hundreds of Walmarts and then on to the Guys paying off the Wallyworld associates for insider purchasing...

It MUST be true, I saw it on the INTERNET....

There will NEVER be any .22 available again so thank goodness I have about 15K in my hoarder stash... :shades:

randy762ak
November 11, 2013, 19:20
22 ammo

I have 2 -50 cal ammo cans stuffed ...Every 22 rifle will have a preference for one kind of ammo--So I stocked up on every brand I could buy years ago--prolly fired off 25 rnds last year,, Im good to go until the hoarding stops

ALL FAL
November 11, 2013, 19:21
Yeah, CCI shut down imminent. :eek:

:rofl:

olgunner
November 11, 2013, 19:55
22 ammo

I have 2 -50 cal ammo cans stuffed ...Every 22 rifle will have a preference for one kind of ammo--So I stocked up on every brand I could buy years ago--prolly fired off 25 rnds last year,, Im good to go until the hoarding stops

Man, if you only shoot 25 rds a year, you can sell us all but a single box and you should still be good until the hoarding stops!

How can anyone only shoot 25 rds of 22lr?? Don't you folks know how much fun small-bore is?!

W.E.G.
November 11, 2013, 19:59
I'm gonna post in my tighty-whities on the bed with all my .22 stash and my Marlin Model 60 and my Remmy 597 laid out around me.

12v71
November 11, 2013, 20:08
I'm gonna post in my tighty-whities on the bed with all my .22 stash and my Marlin Model 60 and my Remmy 597 laid out around me.

Great... my eyes really don't need that kind of abuse:eek::eek:

R4 fan
November 11, 2013, 20:41
I wish you luck.

It's not the hoarders, even though their is nothing wrong with hoarding ammo. It's the people that didn't stock up ahead of time. It's supply and demand. Whatever caliber you shoot, you should stock up. Then if there is a panic/ban/SHTF you don't have to rely on buying a couple boxes because you are running low. That's like blaming the hoarders if you don't go to the store when they are predicting a major snowstorm, and then can't find any bread or milk.

While everyone else was scrambling during the ammo panic, I sold off a lot of my ammo (5.56) at premium prices. I even gave a brick of .22 away to my UPS guy who bought a rifle for his son and couldn't find ammo.

GaryH
November 12, 2013, 12:25
The walmarts by me put ammo out as soon as it comes in, between 7-8pm. 22 is rare, but one had 3 bulk packs. Grabbed one, the lady was surprised I think that I didnt want all 3.

W.E.G.
November 12, 2013, 12:29
What causes this great hoarding?

Who is doing this to us?

Are we not one?

Topbanana
November 12, 2013, 12:37
I've been HOARDING the same box of 22 I bought from Walmart in 2007. :D

R4 fan
November 12, 2013, 13:38
What causes this great hoarding?

Who is doing this to us?

Are we not one?

It's the liberal anti-gun Democrats in office. If they would stop attacking our freedoms, nobody would hoard anything. :D

Unless firearms are merely a hobby, people should stock up on what they shoot and not rely on the convenience of getting things whenever they want. The next major storm that comes along, go to your local Home Depot or Lowe's and look at all the people lined up to buy generators. It's not the hoarders, it's supply and demand.

Skilter
November 12, 2013, 14:21

Go fishing.

Nigh on delusional.

Seek help.

Nope ... not really...

I get it, it can be. But when you have a can that works best on CCI Mini Mag or an 1890 that takes certain ammo that is really hard to find, I can understand this.

So, not crazy if you have a specific purpose. But to hoard random 22... Yes, crazy.

preston1026
November 14, 2013, 11:06
I swear I think the local gun shops/ranges pay the people at the counter to tip them off or hold stock. Those shops have all the walmart ammo

rarecat
November 14, 2013, 11:27
I just stopped at Wally World for cat food and left with 3 100 RD packs of Tula Brass 9MM @ $23 ea.... :]

and I remembered the cat food

Topbanana
November 14, 2013, 12:13
^Wait, you did not hang around Walmart for 5+hrs for the 9mm??? :eek::eek::eek:

rarecat
November 14, 2013, 12:23
Nope, just walked in and bought it. When I left there was still 10+ more packages of 9MM and tons of 5.56 on the shelf....

Topbanana
November 14, 2013, 13:08
You should of pathetically waited around for 9hrs for the .22 like our OP did... :eek:

DYNOMIKE
November 14, 2013, 19:11
You should of pathetically waited around for 9hrs for the .22 like our OP did... :eek:

DOOD!!!
You owe me a BEER for the one that just went out my Nose... :rofl::beer:

Timber Wolf
November 15, 2013, 12:05

I am the OP, show me where in my post it says I waited around 9 hours (pathetically or otherwise) for anything. I do enough stuff that probably deserves ridicule without people making up anymore.

W.E.G.
November 15, 2013, 14:45
I'm going to post pics of me in my tighty-whities, waiting for Walmart to open in the morning so I can go in and stock up on bricks of .22, Beanie-Weenie, and Ramen noodles.

I dun warnt ya.

Anybody want to trade their Butler Creek folding stock for the Marlin Model 60 for an open case of Ramen noodles?

no apsersions to tIMBER wOLF were intended by this public service announcement

Topbanana
November 15, 2013, 16:41
Sorry OP, I had my whining about buying .22LR at Walmart posts confused. :love:

ALL FAL
November 15, 2013, 21:25
I have a plan to get ammo flowing at the Walmarts, go in at 0630, select an slingshot from near the ammo counter, when the resalers show up start slingshotting their asses till they don't come back anymore.

I was just over at the wally world and ran into one of the scumbag re sellers, the staff at the counter all seem to know this guy, gawwwd I wanted to bust his face so bad, holding back is getting harder.

W.E.G.
November 15, 2013, 22:05
That would make an awesome episode on the Slingshot Channel.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tFISeJ1N5CQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ALL FAL
November 15, 2013, 22:15
Cool WEG, I figure about 100ft lbs of draw @40"draw length 1oz steel balls should cause some movement out of the store fast. :biggrin:

Yep, I'm fit to be tied, pissed off at anything .Gov. related or ANY Greedy fuggs that cross my path.

ExCdnSoldierInTx
November 16, 2013, 23:28
The only .22s in my house stay in the safe. If I wanna shoot a revolver I use my Inglis or a .38.
Rifle? SKS or my C1.

Any one of those are a helluvalot less hassle than fuggin around with trying to find bricks. And the little bit of extra cash it costs is worth the savings in aggravation. To me, anyway...

WalMart can Kiss my pasty white pimply Yankee Ass. Copy?

garyd1961
November 17, 2013, 22:11
I wish you luck.

It must be getting hoarded before it gets to the store then. I work at Wal-Mart and check the ammo regularly and 22 is never there. I found some more than 6 months ago and bought one bulk pack and figured I would let other people have the rest as I could pick up some anytime. I have only seen 22 a couple times since and it was 100 round packs and only a few of them. Very little 22 ammo is making it to the store. Where it is going I have no idea.