PDA

View Full Version : changing a .300rum to .374H&H

vt34
October 26, 2013, 16:55
Greetings
So I have this R700 xcr in .300rum
It was the first gun I ever bought and before I became a good rifleman. This gun is ridiculous, completely impractical for my purposes.
I've read that 300rum is easily converted to 375, which meets most Africa standards for minimum caliber. Small niche? Sure but at least it would have some purpose down the line.

So I'm doing some preliminary research on the costs of doing this. I know there are plenty of machinists here that could quote me on the job. It has barrel that's about 1 metric train length long(26") that would need to be shortened to 22" or so(length is still being decided). And additionally it would need a front sight silver soldered(or whatever it is you would do) and tapped for a rear aperture such as for a williams. Also, if it makes a difference the gun is left handed.

To sum up
Conversion from 300rum to 375h&h
barrel shortened 4-6"
front sight post attachment
tapped for rear aperture

Thanks in advance!

Andy the Aussie
October 26, 2013, 17:08
New barrel + any profiling you need (this would also include the length), the RUM looks like it has a larger base diameter than the H&H so I am not sure how much this will effect. Sights and such I have no idea about.

shortround
October 26, 2013, 17:46
You would be better off selling your gun and trying to find something closer to what you want. Custom rifle work is rarely cheap.

vt34
October 26, 2013, 18:21
This is where I am illogical; the gun does hold some sentimental value. Plus, I prefer to build off my mistakes (get it? haha)

additionally, finding a buyer for such a strange gun would be problematic, a left-handed r700 xcr?

ALL FAL
October 26, 2013, 20:31
The .375H+H was my favorite in Alaska, the big pusher cartridge, easy on the shoulder even if firing all day long and with the right selection in reloading the same trajectory can be had in .06 the back up rifle, but great to have them hitting at yardage at the same point.

Good luck with your project.

Andy the Aussie
October 26, 2013, 20:35
Still a favourite of mine.... ;) Off to Africa with me next year ....

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af98/Andy_the_Aussie/Guns/M70_375No1_zpsbd72cdef.jpg (http://s997.photobucket.com/user/Andy_the_Aussie/media/Guns/M70_375No1_zpsbd72cdef.jpg.html)

W.E.G.
October 26, 2013, 21:23
Bigger bullet, and shorter barrel.

Its gonna be a beast.

Don't forget to include the cost of dental work, and post-concussive therapy.

A new set of sunglasses for sure.

Andy the Aussie
October 26, 2013, 21:37
Bigger bullet, and shorter barrel.

Its gonna be a beast.

Don't forget to include the cost of dental work, and post-concussive therapy.

A new set of sunglasses for sure. ..... I dunno Gary, I actually prefer to bench my .375H&H when compared to my .300Win, the H&H is a big long shove in comparison to the whip you get from the .300 Wizzzzzzz. The RUM would only be worse.

Andy

W.E.G.
October 26, 2013, 21:41
How did I know that the mention of sunglasses....

Andy the Aussie
October 26, 2013, 21:42
How did I know that the mention of sunglasses.... .......guilty Your Honour.... ;) :|

vt34
October 27, 2013, 08:21
Recoil won't be a problem, since that was my first gun it is my baseline for recoil tolerance. Anything smaller is light relatively. Additionally, I'm not a canary.

Anyway, that was not the question brought forward. Does anybody have any ideas on price?

W.E.G.
October 27, 2013, 08:33
Labor for wrenching and refinishing: $200 - $400
Front sight: $75 for the part
New barrel: $100 - $300 for the part
Shipping: $50 one way
Add $100 labor for machining if you install a receiver sight, and then another $100 for the part.

...or thereabouts

I'm not following how you figure a .30 barrel can just be cut-down to become a .375 (or .374?) barrel.

vt34
October 27, 2013, 12:45
magic? haha, no I was not thinking. I was just systematically thinking how the gun was going to be different and included it by accident. Obviously it'd just be a new made 22" barrel. My apologies for the mistake.
Thank you for the information.
williams sights are much cheaper then that though, I'm looking at the wgrs which msrp $40. I got the front sight ramp for about $12.
The wgrs model uses existing scope holes, originally I was planning on side mounted but I just remembered that since I'm wrong handed that's not an option.

So my costs would be ~$500. I can swing that, thanks again for the information.

Hootsmon
October 27, 2013, 18:56
You could get this 375 RUM barrel here (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=371723492) and screw it on!

You're welcome!

vt34
October 28, 2013, 12:56
I've been playing around with that idea as well. I'd prefer the H&H but if the task proves too financially inefficient that certainly is the route I will be taking.
The biggest reason being that I am not a fan of proprietary equipment, the pool of materials and information regarding the H&H is vast.