PDA

View Full Version : M4 v. 930

gates
October 22, 2013, 02:04
Thought's? QUALIFIED! opinions?

ronpaulFAL
October 22, 2013, 17:37
Have had both. M4 gets very heavy. Both were reliable with buck and slugs but my 930 came with a canted sight.

There are major problems getting the correct Italian equipment for the M4. The rail to some degree but particularly that cool stock. This was 3 years ago so maybe it has gotten better.

I now use an 870P Max. I have an 1100 as well but prefer the quick handling, familiarity and sheer ruggedness of my Cerakoted 870. All I added were night sights, Mesa side saddle and sling. I have found myself to be faster on target that that gun than the M4 due to its perfect balance and relatively light weight. The M4 is easier to feed slugs "on demand" though.

rowjimmy
October 28, 2013, 19:45
Get a Remington Versamax...:biggrin:

jtscuba02
October 28, 2013, 20:06
I bought my 930 SPX used, so if it came with a canted sight, it was already fixed. I have ran game loads, 00 Buckshot and slugs through mine and didn't have any issues at all. I have put a lot of the target and game loads through it. I added a Vtac sling and it helps to keep the weapon on target for those follow up shots. I got it for cheap when AKs and ARs went through the roof after Sandy Hook.

gates
October 29, 2013, 01:39
Too late RJ - I have them both (930 & M4)- trying to decide which one to stick my B.I.L. with when things go sideways:devil:

grumpy1
October 30, 2013, 08:55
I've used the mossberg 930 but not the M4 however I've used the M1 & M2 serries of shotguns which are pretty close to the M4. I've liked them all about equally. The M1/M2's I've shot were fast back ontarget and to reload. Haveing a 590 myself I liked the fire controls of the 930 nothing really to relearn.

I think both are good guns, I would suggest making a list of things you want to add to the guns like side saddle carriers and such. Then look to see what's out there and the costs and make your decision from there.

I personally prefer a pump shotgun over a auto, its far easier to do selective ammo reloads with and if the gun is fouled to the point that it is hard to extract the round you have more leverage in opening the bolt with a pump.

Timber Wolf
October 31, 2013, 10:34
I don’t know anything about either gun mentioned but do have a few thoughts on the issue in general. I, like most guys, was a pump man to start out. It was what Dad had and that was good enough for me. I have Remington 870s, Moss 500s (6&8 round mags), and an Ithaca 37. I like them all but favor the 870 for aftermarket support and the Mossy for the safety position. My ideal pump would be my 8 shot Mossy with choke tubes (it is fixed cylinder presently).

About 6 or 7 years ago I bought a NIB Remington 1100 Competition Master at a bankruptcy auction, and it sat in the back of the safe. I had by then been using a 1100 to shoot skeet and picked up a 1100 Magnum for Turkey (even though it would not do anything my 870 would not do). Fast forward to a couple of years ago and starting 3-Gun. By then, and certainly more so now, “everybody” knows that the 1100 cannot stand up to the rigors of 3-Gun. Horsefeathers, maybe at some level, but not mine. I will not live long enough to put as many rounds through my 1100 CM as I do my 1100 that I shoot Skeet with. And I use the EXACT SAME birdshot loads (cheap #8s) for each sport. I do run the occasional low recoil slug through the CM that the Skeet gun does not see but not enough to wear anything out.

And let me speak to the ability to change loads and such in the pump over the auto, and the pump having more “leverage”. I took a self-defense shotgun class where I was the only one with a semi-auto, amongst a dozen or more pumps. With a little practice, I was able to do the shell swap drills as fast (usually faster) than anybody. You are going to throw some shells on the ground, and the larger handle on the CM certainly helped, but it was no problem. I would also say the enlarged handle on the auto provides more than enough leverage to rip through the rim of a shell, and more than that is wasted.

All that rambling to say, if I was looking for a new (semi) shotty for social purposes I would be looking at a VersaMax or the new Beretta 1301. I have not handled or shot either one but they are getting good reviews in the 3-Gun community.

gates
November 02, 2013, 02:25
I like them both - fuk my BIL - he can buy his own!.

Bladewurk
November 05, 2013, 23:39
M4 is heavy and so is the 930 . If you get a good one I'd say 930 between the two.
I prefer the Benelli M2, however the Beretta 1301 Comp looks promising and is what I will buy next!

Wycked Munky
November 18, 2013, 21:22
I apologize if I'm resurrecting a dead thread and/or battering a deceased equine, but I absolutely love my 930 SPX. I bought it when I was stationed at Edwards a couple years ago because I couldn't afford the M4 that was also in the case, and because I had an itch for something Tacti-Cool. I almost had a bit of buyer's remorse after reading the reviews and realizing the number of consistent issues people seemed to be having with theirs, but then I shot it.... hot damn, I love that boomstick. My front sight wasn't canted, it eats cheapo Wally-World birdshot like it's its last meal, groups Winchester Super X and Remington Slugger bulk pack slugs into one or two ragged holes at 50 yards, and of the extremely high-for-my-budget round count (well over 600), I've had exactly one FTF and one FTE. Both of those appeared to be ammo problems.

That being said, here are my complaints, in order of seriousness.

Uno: Twice the shell lifter has become jammed against the bolt release parts... I have no clue how or why it happened, but it did it both when I charged it after loading the tube, and after downloading from a half-empty tube.

Deux: The finish... I don't know if it's just the air around here, but a section of the barrel and the magazine extension just acquire a coat of rust for like, no reason at all, sometimes after a month in the safe, sometimes while I'm shooting even. Okay, the last part was a slight exaggeration, but only slightly. I have taken it out, shot it, cased it, brought it home, and seen rust upon putting it away.

Drei: The cheek weld. My SPX came with a really nice set of LPA ghost rings that damn near require my chin on the stock to see through. Mine has the Choate pistol grip stock, but from what I understand the factory straight stock isn't much better. HOWEVER comma I have ordered the Monte Carlo stock that comes on the Slugster model. Should be a perfect fix, more to follow...
Drei.5: Adding on to the stock issue, there are almost zero options for aftermarket stocks due to the operation system requiring a 13" buffer tube through the stock... Mesa Tactical is developing an Urbino for it, but other than that you have factory, Choate pistol grip, or Bubba-ing up a perfectly good SpeedFeed that was originally designed for a Remington 870.
Drei.75: Adding even more to the stock issue(s), the LOP is just stupid long for a tactical/HD weapon unless you happen to have orangutan somewhere in your family tree. There are ways of shortening it, but almost all require channeling your inner Bubba and messing with the action.

Holy balls was that wordy... sorry gents.

gates
November 20, 2013, 01:36
They are both great shotguns but they BOTH weigh a TON - if TSHTF I may just cut a foot off of my A400 bird gun BBL and call it a day - holds 5 in the tube, Upland gun.