PDA

View Full Version : Para Ordnance LDA .45 ACP

genmeagher
October 19, 2013, 21:53
Technically not a true 1911, but I've taken some interest in this sidearm as a carry piece. LDA stands for "Light Double Action", and has a consistent 5 LB trigger pull. I am really intrigued with this sidearm and driving down to PA to a friend's house to give his a shake down.

I love the 1911 frame style and the .45 ACP is my favorite carry round (especially in NY, when I am restricted to 7 rounds in the mag).

Anyone have one or have played with one and want to share their thoughts?

Thanks!

GM.

raexcct2
October 20, 2013, 00:55
I have one and it was my primary home defense weapon until I replaced it with a Springfield XD .45 with manual safety.

I bought it primarily to have a lawyer proof handgun (no single action liability by antigun prosecutors).

I like it, trigger was real smooth and it was accurate. Only thing I didn't like was the bobbed grip safety. I would have preferred that it had a beavertail on there.

I also had an LDA in 9mm and .45 GAP but sold those two.

308/223shooter
October 20, 2013, 02:01
Great trigger, but if it's one of the early models with an exposed hammer, you do not want to thumb cock it. You must cock it by racking the slide or you may damage the cocking cam. I bought one from a FFL he had, I got a smoking deal as it was his display gun.
First time at the range the bloody thing dis-charged when I ran the slide forward on a full mag. The factory repaired it, no charge, and I carried it for some years before trading it off. Wish I still had it. It was a great shooter once I got it back.

DK
October 20, 2013, 07:00
Dad has one in .45... Very smooth and consistent trigger pull. I've tried to trade him out of it but he ain't lettin' go!

Nice piece.

DK

lawdog
October 20, 2013, 09:27
I have two Para-Ordnance P-12s. One is the "Para-Carry LDA P-12" and the other is a standard P-12.

Of the two, I actually prefer the standard model. The LDA trigger has a longer trigger pull and longer trigger reset. If you really like 1911s and the short trigger reset of a 1911, you likely won't enjoy the LDA as much. About the only thing I can say about the LDA is that the trigger is relatively smooth, but then again so can be the trigger on a 1911.

Para-Ordnance, IMO, has lost their minds by discontinuing the P-12 and P-13 from their lineup. Those are neat little pistols that were wholly concealable and full capacity weapons. Instead they have gone with wholly concealable but what I consider to be neutered capacity 1911s.

KSGUNRUNNER
October 22, 2013, 00:09
Having been dealing with Para in this last week, I'll let you know they have changed their warranty policy. If you are not the first owner...they won't touch it.

Second owner on a P-12. Had a grip safety issue, called them. No dice, they will not back the product. Which is sad because I own a P-14 Limited, the above mentioned P-12 and a Tac 4. The LDA on the Tac is nice but it will be my last Para due to the warranty policy.

genmeagher
October 23, 2013, 20:55
Thank you all, I appreciate the responses. I always value the FalFiler's input...

I'm bringing my Kimber .45 to PA this weekend to shoot side by side with the P-O LDA this weekend and I am looking forward to it!

Thanks again,

GM.

GOVT1911
October 24, 2013, 08:08
I have a P12LDA that I picked up back in around 2002 or so. I LOVE it. I began having problems with it and replaced the recoil spring, problem solved. I now replace the recoil spring every 4-5000 rounds and no issues. I have over 15k through it and it still runs great. I did have a buddy that had one from about the same era and he had nothing but problems with his, never did get it figured out and Para's customer service just plain sucked for him.

Mine was my EDC for years, but something with my sweat would literally cause the grip frame to rust in hours. I DuraCoated it and had no problems after that.

I shot it pretty heavily in IDPA in the late 90s and early 00s, but replaced it as my EDC with a G26 or G19 because 9mm is cheaper to practice with. (I was shooting several hundred rounds a week and .45ACP was gettin 'spensive!)

I don't shoot it much anymore just because, well, It sits in my safe and I always seem to forget it when headed to the range.