PDA

View Full Version : Thompson Auto Ordnance 1911C

RomanLeaderII
October 18, 2013, 14:59
Has anyone had any experience with these? How well are they fit together with special attention to the slide frame and barrel hood/slide/ Frame lockup? How well do they shoot and how reliable are they? The only thing missing is the Ambi Safety.

One review seemed to have good things to say. They tested at the odd distance of 20 yds. Its slide is forged, its frame Investment Cast Stainless Steel.

Anyone?

mongoose
October 20, 2013, 15:31
Its been 25 yrs or so... the ones I looked at rattled at the slide and frame to the point you could actaully hear it.

stitcher
October 20, 2013, 21:30
I've never handled one,, but to me they are the most appealing of the gi models, and it's on my "someday" list...

jugrunner
October 20, 2013, 21:52
NO ... ! ... Not good ... !

stitcher
October 20, 2013, 23:45

Wow, why not? I like a little rattle myself...

thatguy
October 21, 2013, 07:35
I had one years ago that would only eat ball ammo and overall was sloppy in fit and finish. Supposedly since Kahr took them over they have improved. IDK.

gordo63
October 21, 2013, 08:05
Handled one recently that I'm seriously considering buying. The slide/frame fit was as good as any other brands. It is a low priced pistol so you can expect the slide operation to not be "smooth". It did feel like the recoil spring was stouter than the normal 16lb but, maybe, it was just because of the rough surfaces.

Olaf
October 22, 2013, 14:52

+1
The lowest I would go is a Springfield base model, 550-600 bones you got a forged frame & slide and the ones I have handles all shoot really decent.
There's cheap then there's junk, I have had a older AO and all I can tell you is I KICKED myself for not buying an SA or better, buy once cry once.
I hear people have good luck with phillipino, and Chinese 1911's that are cheap if that's what your after but, forged Chinese stuff is still made buy Chinese, and philipino stuff is still made buy .....

My .02

def90
October 22, 2013, 20:08
I had one years ago that would only eat ball ammo and overall was sloppy in fit and finish. Supposedly since Kahr took them over they have improved. IDK.

I've been reading into them and from what I can tell the older ones were typical of what you could expect for a cheap gun. I've also been reading over on 1911.com that the new ones built by Kahr are getting pretty good reviews. In the end it's still a cheap 1911 but it appears that the qc on the new ones is much better than the old.

Gazz
October 23, 2013, 07:11
A friend owns one and while he does not care for it to much, I like it okay. For some reason, he gets lots of jams when he shoots it (and he is aware of the limp wrist thing) but it runs perfectly for me. Last year, he gave it to me to see if I could tune it up a bit for him. I did see that many of the internal parts lack any kind of refinement as in having burrs and tooling marks but everything seems to fit okay and didn't do anything to it except take it apart and put it back together. I took it to the range along with a box of mixed ammo which included oddball reloads from my bench, crusty range pickup ammo, two or three of one brand and two or three of another and many different bullet types and weights. It ran and shot them all without a hiccup. I don't know what my friends problem is as he is an experienced shooter and I don't know if all Auto Ordnance pistols would function like that but it worked for me.

nearmisses
November 16, 2013, 20:03
They are good for the price point. Rough as a GI but they usually go bang. Sold and serviced many of them in 80-90's. The cheaper stuff today is much nicer, Metro, Citadel, RIA, ATI, etc. but in the 80-90's at 279.00 for 45acp, 38 super or even a 10mm 1911-A1 it was decent and could be brought up to stuff easily with some sweet parts. I am looking at one now in 10mm. Still a caliber I like but really can't afford, tough enough keeping up with a 45acp habit.