PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Mark III Hunter

FLgunner87
October 15, 2013, 21:58
Recently purchased a mark iii hunter a month or so back and it has quickly become one of my favorite guns to bring to the range. Since i liked it so much i have decided to invest in a few upgrades. Looking at a new sight, grips, and like most who upgrade the mark iii the volquartsen accurazing kit. But i purchased mine used but like new and i noticed something; the trigger pull is extremely light at about 2 lbs. It is comperable to my savage with the accutrigger turned down to under 2 lb trigger pull. I am wondering if the previous owner had installed a trigger kit and is there anyay for me to tell? The trigger is the stock trigger but the pull seems crisp and light. Anyone know what the stock trigger pull is?

Timber Wolf
October 16, 2013, 09:37
After working over a couple 10/22 triggers I considered doing something with a couple of my MKII Rugers. But I decided the factory pull was good enough and not worth the effort ($$$$$).

Wildcat
October 16, 2013, 15:41
After working over a couple 10/22 triggers I considered doing something with a couple of my MKII Rugers. But I decided the factory pull was good enough and not worth the effort ($$$$$).

Switch out the sear spring to something lighter (or bend the OEM spring) and polish the factory sear surfaces. You can get an excellent trigger pull for very little effort or money.
Pre-travel and over-travel stops can be rigged too but take time and persistence to tweak.

Mark IIIs users should also consider swapping out the magazine disconnect and spring with a spacer (or install a MK-II hammer + bushing). It really reduces the hassle in field stripping and reassembly. Also allows empty magazines to drop free.

FLgunner87
October 16, 2013, 21:25
Switch out the sear spring to something lighter (or bend the OEM spring) and polish the factory sear surfaces. You can get an excellent trigger pull for very little effort or money.
Pre-travel and over-travel stops can be rigged too but take time and persistence to tweak.

Mark IIIs users should also consider swapping out the magazine disconnect and spring with a spacer (or install a MK-II hammer + bushing). It really reduces the hassle in field stripping and reassembly. Also allows empty magazines to drop free.

I will look into that Wildcat, but i was wondering how i can tell if someone already modified my mark iii.

Wildcat
October 16, 2013, 21:42
I have to admit that a light crisp (nice) trigger pull is out of character on a factory handgun these days.

Hard to say without looking at it whether its been 'tampered' with. Have you field stripped it yet?
If there no indications that any parts have been changed perhaps you lucked out!

I've removed the chamber loaded indicator and the magazine disconnector from mine. Factory gave me about a 4-1/2lb pull with plenty of creep. Now its just under 3lb and clean. I haven't gotten around to limiting the travel yet since it seems like a winter project.

FLgunner87
October 16, 2013, 22:23
I have field stripped it but not sure what the stock parts look like vs after market. Btw before i bought it i read everywhere how hard it is to take apart. Dont see what all the fuss is about took me 5 minutes. Just shows you sometimes trying it for yourself is the best way to form a proper opinion.

Wildcat
October 16, 2013, 22:51
Some of them need a plastic mallet to slide the receiver group forward off the grip frame and honestly it does -not-need to be that tight.

The Mark III needs to have the magazine in and out of the gun more than once during reassembly thanks to the silly disconnector (look for a sheet metal part between the hammer and the trigger bar that contacts the top of the magazine when its in the grip frame.).

If you can drop the hammer with the magazine out of the gun, its definitely been worked on. The MK-III trigger is supposed to lock on its own until the magazine is seated.

Orion the Hunter
October 19, 2013, 18:27
I know this is off discussion, but here is a really cool device that I found at our local gun shop that WORKS LIKE A CHARM when reloading Mk III magazines!

It is a "Clear Plastic Reloader" that you dump a 50-box of .22 shells into...shove your Magazine from the bottom.. and gravity fills your Magazine right up! There is a hiccup now and again, but once you get the technique down...easy money!

If you are anything like me, you go to the range with the Wife and Daughter only to discover that you have been unanimously elected as the "official reloader for the day!" Within an hour or two into the game, your thumb turns blue and numb!!!!

This reloader is the cats ass!

Here is what is on the packaging:
Made in USA by McFadden Machine Co. Inc.
Fits Ruger MkII & Mk III 22/45 Pistols and Browning Buckmark Pistols
Holds 50 Rounds, and can load a 10 round clip in as little as 3 seconds!

tac-40
October 20, 2013, 18:08
Got a similar one from Brownells to load my Browning Buckmark mags. All is needed is to adjust the mag stop screw for your mags. Just stick the mag in, shakes it a little and you have a full mag. Now you can load em almost as fast as you can empty em.:bow:

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/speedloaders-accessories/magazine-speedloaders/22-auto-ultimate-clip-loader-prod16700.aspx

DYNOMIKE
October 20, 2013, 18:35
Recently purchased a mark iii hunter a month or so back and it has quickly become one of my favorite guns to bring to the range. Since i liked it so much i have decided to invest in a few upgrades. Looking at a new sight, grips, and like most who upgrade the mark iii the volquartsen accurazing kit. But i purchased mine used but like new and i noticed something; the trigger pull is extremely light at about 2 lbs. It is comperable to my savage with the accutrigger turned down to under 2 lb trigger pull. I am wondering if the previous owner had installed a trigger kit and is there anyay for me to tell? The trigger is the stock trigger but the pull seems crisp and light. Anyone know what the stock trigger pull is?

Do you like it better than the Mosquito?? :devil::p

FLgunner87
October 22, 2013, 20:53
Do you like it better than the Mosquito?? :devil::p

Haha hell yes i do. Havent touched the mosquito since. Trying to sell it, its useless.

FLgunner87
October 22, 2013, 20:57
Ok went to a gunstore and compared my trigger to a ruger mark iii competition model. Almost exactly the same so i assume its stock. Going to throw a strip kit on it and with that it should lower the pull a little more. Really love the mark iii, definetly a gun that should be in every safe. As for that speed loader its on my list, damn thumb slide on the magazine kills my thumb.

Timber Wolf
October 24, 2013, 10:54
Ok went to a gunstore and compared my trigger to a ruger mark iii competition model. Almost exactly the same so i assume its stock. Going to throw a strip kit on it and with that it should lower the pull a little more. Really love the mark iii, definetly a gun that should be in every safe. As for that speed loader its on my list, damn thumb slide on the magazine kills my thumb.

Until your loader comes, just cut a magazine size slot in a 2"X2" peice of cardboard to slip over teh mag as a thumb saver.;)