View Full Version : Russian Mosin Nagant

October 04, 2013, 12:22
So I scored a new to me Carbine I pick it up Monday! So excited. I have really started to find a place in my life for these cheap, yet fun to play with rifles. There is so much you can do to them. I am not talking about Tacticooling them, just the cleaning polishing, playing with the trigger. Just a fun cheap gun to play around with. You can't beat them. They shoot straight and did I me too CHEAP!? Pics to come soon

October 04, 2013, 15:36
Here's my 1943 M38.. All matching, in like new condition. The bore and bolt are immaculate, looks unfired. The blue is excellent. A few scratches on the shellac finish is all I can find. Could be an arsenal refinish, but I don't think the barrel would have been replaced in a rebuild.

October 04, 2013, 17:50
Wow very nice have you shot her yet?

October 04, 2013, 21:45
Very nice rifle.
Have fun, they are great blasters! :cool:

October 04, 2013, 22:19
I got almost the exact same rifle. Like it better than the full length Mosins but boy does it kick.

October 04, 2013, 22:32
I haven't shot this rifle but others like it. One had a clamp on muzzle brake and rubber buttpad that was bought off of ebay for about $25. It made a noticeable difference in felt recoil..

October 04, 2013, 22:42
Anybody know anything about the Chinese versions J and G has for 99 bucks? Last year I got one of their 99$ Austrian straightpull carbines, and its actually pretty nice. Good steel, Wood... Well used. Still, for 99$?:shades:

October 05, 2013, 22:17
I just picked a long playing version today, paid too much but it looks like all it has ever seen is the inside of a crate.
I have heard someone say the heavier bullets work best in the long barrels, is this just BS or does it really make a difference? Hard to find the heavy bullets I am thinking as all I have seen is the 147 something grain. If it is true about the bullet weight if you know where to get the heavier ones I would really like to know where.
I shall call this rifle my nipple gun because it is so long it comes almost as tall as my nipples. LOL! It reminds me of the rifle the guard had in the Wizard of OZ, about six feet long.
I got it because it is in such good shape, the best I have seen so far. Most are looking like they were rode hard and put away wet every time they went out. This one has the hex receiver and dated 1932, years before WWII. Looking at the bolt face I would say the rifle has never been shot. The rifling looks to be all there but it needs a good cleaning with a stiff brush to get down into the grooves to clean them out. The wood looks as fresh as the day it was made with sharp clear markings. The bluing is 99% or better, no scratches or dings just like the wood.
The carbine, the 44, may be more practical but this rifle is very different than a run of the mill bolt action rifle. I hope it shoots well.
I had to take a far away photo to get all of it in the picture! LOL

October 06, 2013, 09:41
I have several, great rifles for what they are and even nice modern hunting rifles, the round packs a nice punch

October 06, 2013, 13:19
I have a pair of '44's i am going to sell, good-very condition, bayonets, slings, what is the fair price?

October 06, 2013, 17:18
I saw the better looking 44s going as high as $350.00 and the run of the mill at $150.00, I think they were Chinese rifles. I paid $255.00 for my long version and the guy I bought it from did a lot of cleaning to get most of the grease and crap off.
I went back to the Philadelphia show again today just because, nothing else to do and had a good time as well again today. :)

October 08, 2013, 17:53
Link to new thread with pics. Wow I guess the price of the Mosin's has gone up.