PDA

View Full Version : Another one followed me home (Rem 521-T)

Timber Wolf
October 01, 2013, 12:00
I could not stand it and rescued this little target rifle.
http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l639/chevyoneton/1380052582_1.gif (http://s1127.photobucket.com/user/chevyoneton/media/1380052582_1.gif.html)

I have a growing herd of .22 rifles and this one filled a perceived niche in my "collection". I now have (I think) all of the original members of the Remington 500 series bolt actions. That would be the 510, 511, 512, 513T and 521T.

Oh, and before I hear any carping about no toes, mag foul, etc. It ain't my pic, and I got no mag with it.

MAINER
October 01, 2013, 16:03
Very nice!

Not a big Remy fan, but that one would have definitely drawn my attention. I really like the 513T, but they have been rarely seen and very pricey.

I didn't see a 514 in your list. It was a single shot and later became a "Youth Gun", but hey, while your on a roll.

Survey Punk
October 01, 2013, 19:56
Remington Dates of manufacture by barrel code:
http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/questions/barrelcodes

JB

Timber Wolf
October 02, 2013, 08:04
Very nice!

Not a big Remy fan, but that one would have definitely drawn my attention. I really like the 513T, but they have been rarely seen and very pricey.

I didn't see a 514 in your list. It was a single shot and later became a "Youth Gun", but hey, while your on a roll.

I picked up a nice 513T a couple of years ago and like it a lot. I "upgraded" the sights on it to Redfield Olympics front and rear. It is a little heavy (not as bad as my H&R 12 though) and the 521T is supposed to be a little lighter in both the stock and barrel. My plan is for my daughter to grow into it but she is still grooving on her little Aunshutz Woodchucker.

As near as I can tell the 514 was a slightly later, cheaper to manufacture variant and therefore does not make my list (that's my story anyway and I am sticking to it:wink:). I think there was also a 550 semi-auto but then I stick mostly to bolt guns.

In addition to the Remmys I also have a couple of Mossberg 44US rifles (one scoped and one iron sights), several H&Rs in the "65" series as in a 165, couple of 265s, couple or three 365s, and two 565s. Two H&R Model 12s (knock off Winny 52s) one scoped and one iron sights (Redfield International rear sight and Olympic front). Also have a Marlin 2000 I have upgraded to Redfield Olympic sights front and rear. You can spend some bucks putting sights on these things and that is why I bought the 521T in the original post. It still had sights (and sling swivels) on it. Although I have the sights I took off my 513T, humm, guess I need to find another sans sights.:)

MAINER
October 02, 2013, 09:22
I only have one .22 that would be a Target type and that's a Winchester 52. Made in 1930, it looks much like a 1903 Springfield, on purpose I think. It was missing the M-82 rear sight that was unique to the rifle, but finally found one at a Gun Show some 10 years after buying the rifle. Lucked out on the $50 price, they usually go for $250.
Also have a neat Untertl 8X 1 1/4" scope in target blocks for it.

At one time, the Kittery Trading Post had a Remington 513 that I considered buying, well briefly, anyway. The thing was a jewel and decked out beyond belief. It came in a fitted mahogany case with fancy Redfield sights, both irons and telescope. It also had a Palm rest, adj hooked butt plate and other Freeland trinkets.
At $800, it was out of my comfort range, a lot of money in the 70's and they wouldn't take children for trade. :tongue:

FUUN063
October 05, 2013, 07:59
Out of all of the Older Remington's, I kinda liked my NOS 521T and the 513. I have had them all and they shot nice and pointed nicely as well. The only one I have left is my trusty 541T.

Leland

Timber Wolf
October 11, 2013, 14:31
As near as I can tell the 514 was a slightly later, cheaper to manufacture variant and therefore does not make my list (that's my story anyway and I am sticking to it:wink:).

Well this is too funny. The 521-T came via BBT yesterday and checked out fine (so far). I am taking it to the range this afternoon. Anyway, I pulled up my Excel file to log it in and just noticed I already own a 514! Pitiful, just pitiful. Man dosen't even know what he owns.:uhoh: I did confirm that I own two 512s. It is interesting that it was originally the model I thought I would have the most trouble finding but I ended up with two. I guess that after wanting/looking for one for so long that when a spare came along I jumped on it. Or, I might have forgot that I already had one!:rofl: I just counted, and the 521-T makes an even sixty (60) .22LR rifles hanging around here. This does not count the .22 Mags (or .17) but does count my Daughter's Anschutz. So really I only own 59 .22 rifles (does that sound any better than 60?).:) I can quit any time I want to.

2barearms
October 13, 2013, 09:57
I was on a quest at one point to collect all of the military 22's. Got within a few
and my needs changed. Most of the Winchesters, Springfield's and Remington's
are too expensive for younger guys to aquire now. Still have a Model 52, 52c, 52D and 75, Springfield 1922 M2& MII, Reising USMC58 and Model 65, Stevens 4162T, H&R M12 and a Mossberg 44US.

SteelonSteel
October 20, 2013, 22:55
I like the 521T's. I had a friend pick one up for me at the South store and I was dumb to have him sell it off due to the stock forend being messed up with an aftermarket fore end rail installed off center.

Wish I kept it and replaced the stock. The normal 28" rifles are just too heavy to be much fun off the bench.