PDA

View Full Version : It hadn't been fired in 20 years....

Retired Bum
September 28, 2013, 19:12
Back in 1983 I purchased a new Anschutz Model 1422 .22lr rifle. This is the Model 54 Sporter with an American style classic stock. I purchased Redfield rings and a decent grade Beeman 2x7 variable power air rifle scope that can be focused down to about 15 feet. With one extra five round mag I figure that I had about $750 invested at 1983 prices.

This .22lr Sporter proved to a very accurate shooting rimfire rifle if fed good quality ammo. It would give one inch groups at 100 yards of the bench rest with Winchester "gold box" Mark III Rifle Match. And do almost as well with the cheaper Remington standard velocity Target in the green and blue box.

I shot the Anschutz for about ten years and then put it away in the back of the safe and more or less forgot about it for the next twenty years. Then earlier this week I pulled it out and swabbed out the bore with Hoppes #9 and then dry patched it. Took it to the club range the next day along with 100 rounds of the Rem ammo mentioned above and wondered where it would hit on the 25 yard target. The Rem ammo is at least 25 years old and I really wondered if it was still good.

So I fired five rounds and got a dime sized group 3/4" high over the point of aim. The impact berm was 70 yards from the firing line and littered with pieces of clay pigeons off the trap range. I then proceeded to break those small pieces into even smaller pieces with the rest of the box. I had forgotten how much fun it was to shoot a rimfire rifle without having to wear ear protection. The Anschutz has a 24 inch barrel and the muzzle report is quite mild.

So now I am going to have to start shooting this rifle on a semi regular basis again. Cheap shooting and I have at least five full bricks of the Remington ammo on my shelf.

Maybe I should break out my stainless Ruger 10/22 Sporter as well. It hasn't been shot in several years and I have enough el cheapo CCI Blazer on hand to last a year at least. Good thing too because it is impossible to find any .22lr ammo on the shelves of any gun shop around here.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

357ross
September 28, 2013, 19:47
Maybe better put it back away and forget it until 22 ammo becomes available again. Just a thought...

yovinny
September 28, 2013, 20:25
I've had a couple of Anschutz 22 rifles, they are very nice.
One was a thumb-hole stocked 54 target rifle that shot to one hole, sold when I got out of NRA small bore.
The other a model 14xx(cant remember) that was a beautifull full stocked 22mag.
Unfortunately the 22 mag did'nt shoot worth a damn with anything and got traded off.
I'm sure it probably just needed some stock relief work and re-bedding, but it was just too pretty and expensive to mess with, considering my limited wood working skills.
Cheers, YV

MAINER
September 29, 2013, 09:48
I shoot the Anschutz and leave the Ruger in the safe until the stream of 22's starts flowing again.

Where the heck is all the 22 Long rifle ammo going? :uhoh:

falover57
September 29, 2013, 12:33
Canada. We have lots of .22 up here.

Retired Bum
September 29, 2013, 15:39
So where is all of the.22lr ammo going?

About two weeks ago I drove to Plainfield, IN to a gun shop that I have been buying from for over 20 years. I wanted to purchase some Winchester #231 powder, primers, and .22lr ammo. There was none to be had. The reason is that the gun show dealers out of near by Indianapolis go around to all the bigger gun shops in the area and buy up these items. They pay $25 for a 500 round brick of generic .22lr and then take it to the gun shows and price it at $50.

The dealer doesn't hold any ammo back because the gun show types pay cash and he is basically unconcerned about hobbyist buyers like me anymore.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

Illurian00
September 29, 2013, 16:28
I tend to agree w/ the Retired One. I went to show a few wk/nds ago. Ammo , was availaible for the most part, including odd bricks of rimfire, but prices were high. I didn't buy any ammo. The dealers have always been horse thieves, but now their is a 'last chance to dance' element added to the equation.

A few months ago, a friend called to say an outlet of a regional chain had some .22. I grabbed one of my brothers and shot over. He picked up some 9mm and a brick of American Eagle .22. I scooped 300rnds. of CCI Mini Mag. my pal called last night w/ the same message. I popped over and found CCI Std. vel., . $4.25 per 50, limit 3 boxes. I spied a brick under the counter. 'Armscor' std. vel. 500 per $30. The clerk said he couldn't vouch for the quality. I told him it was perfectly fine. I tossed it on the pile when I returned home.

Toward the end 0f 2006, (IIRC), 'Fred' of 'Fred's M-14 Stocks' warned peeps to buy the Port 308 while it was still available. About the same time I had a conversation w/ an ammo importer to the effect that, due to politics and the economy, that things; (business in general & ammo in particular) were bad and were going to get worse.
I told peeps in 2007 to buy ammo.

enbloc8
September 29, 2013, 18:42
Toward the end 0f 2006, (IIRC), 'Fred' of 'Fred's M-14 Stocks' warned peeps to buy the Port 308 while it was still available. About the same time I had a conversation w/ an ammo importer to the effect that, due to politics and the economy, that things (business in general & ammo in particular) were bad and were going to get worse.
I told peeps in 2007 to buy ammo.

Not all of us were into .308 then...:cry:

Illurian00
September 29, 2013, 23:01
I haven't been into 308 or prepping & such all that long myself, at least compared to some. But since the end of 2008 the 'writing has been on the wall.'

Make your preps,,,and make peace w/ your maker.

ALL FAL
September 30, 2013, 21:09
I bought an 1422D anschutz in Alaska, never could miss anything with it, 12ga shells at 100yds were not a problem unless the crosswind was gusting to 30mph.

The .22 saga continues, funny how Canada has fricken TONS of .22 Ammo Everywhere. Greedy fuggin Americans.

Timber Wolf
October 01, 2013, 08:48
I have been shooting a lot more .22 lately for a couple or three reasons. One, the Wolf Cub loves it. Two, we have a new club nearby (12 miles) that has a dedicated .22 range with LOTS of swinging steel silhouettes. And three/four, I have several neat .22 rifles that need shooting and happen to have ammo laid back, at least for a while. I had a pleasant surprise recently when I discover that my tight-chambered, bull-barreled 10/22 would feed and function with the cheap bulk Federal & Winchester. When I first re-barreled this gun it only liked Federal Auto-Match. Not high end ammo but higher than the cheap bulk. After I did a trigger job and added the Power Custom titanium extended charging handle it now works with anything! And it is accurate enough for my purposes.

nvcdl
October 27, 2013, 11:41
My local Walmart had the Federal value packs show up again several weeks ago - I bought 3 and the 22 was gone next time I went. Price had gone up to about $30 a value pack.

W.E.G.
October 27, 2013, 11:54
Good on ya' RB for shooting some "real" .22.

In the meantime...

There are going to be entire trailer courts soon sinking into the earth under the burden of hoarded .22 ammo.

Gonna at least buckle somebody's underpinning.

Hello, homeland security, can you please send a team to rescue me?
I sold my shirt AND my shorts to buy .22

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/humor/redneck-toilet.jpg

ftierson
October 27, 2013, 12:38

In the meantime...

There are going to be entire trailer courts soon sinking into the earth under the burden of hoarded .22 ammo.

I don't know, Gary, I'm beginning to wonder a little about your image collection... :)

Forrest

oleblu72
November 04, 2013, 17:38

In the meantime...

Ahhh you don't look like it hit you to hard W.E.G. at least you can still afford bottled beer. You didn't have to sell the wheels off the house did you ?

Mark

W.E.G.
November 04, 2013, 17:41
Well, not zackly.

I pawned 'em you see.

There's gonna be a gun show before my next payment comes due, so I should be able to get my wheels out of pawn, and still have enough left over for two or three cases of the good stuff.

Had to pawn a few guns too.
I'm down to bricks in case you didn't notice in the pic.
I know what you was lookin' at.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/humor/mayberry/ErnestT.jpg

oleblu72
November 04, 2013, 17:54
Do those bricks down by your feet work a little better than the cobb ? How many times ya pinch you fingers when you're unwinding them off the roll ? But I do see that you were trying to cut back I see some of the bricks were cut in half. Got to be hell on the roids but I bet this procedure is approved in the Affordable Health Care act.

Mark

W.E.G.
November 04, 2013, 17:59
My apologies to RB.

We so hijacked his thread with our puerile tomfoolery.

Why can't anybody ever be serious and mature around here?

oleblu72
November 04, 2013, 18:05
Yeah I guess I did sorry RB, Well I can't help it I'm a truck driver.

Mark