PDA

View Full Version : Cabelas Rat Sh*t Mausers

juanni
September 26, 2013, 16:50
I stopped by the Spokane/CdL Cabelas today and looked over their used rifle rack, and was floored.

Any commercial non Belgian FN Mauser, such as the Mark X, spanish etc is $999.
Doesn't matter if it has a scope, doesn't matter if the scope it has is a 1970's el cheapo, doesn't matter if a lumberjack hacked out clearance for the thumb safety, doesn't matter if there are pipe wrench marks on the barrel, doesn't matter if an 8 year old whittled the stock, doesn't matter if someone sanded 80% of the stock finish off,,, and stopped, they are all $999 or up.

1 FN commercial. A Marlin 455??, at $1199.

All bubbarized military mausers start at $699.

Any surplus military mauser is $699.

I cornered the gun manager and he said any commerical mauser price has sky rocketed because Obama has banned their import. :rolleyes:
I didn't bother.

Funny thing is they had decent FN commercials in the locked cases starting at $1100 or so, and pre 64 model 70s starting at $1199.

I don't get it??
Who is paying those prices?

The bargain was a M77 Ruger, 30-06 for $299 missing 30% of it's bluing.

............juanni

Topbanana
September 26, 2013, 17:14
Bubba pays those prices. :devil:

kmurphy
September 26, 2013, 21:00
I bought a bolt MM G98 '16 Simson and Suhl duffle cut there. It did have the barrel loosened w/pipe wrench, minimal marks considering. Bought it really reasonably. Tightened barrel, headspaced and is just fine.

juanni
September 26, 2013, 21:33
Well looking over completed GB sales of Interarms Mark Xs they seem to sell for $300 - $500, more if they are a Mannlicher.
But if a typical Mark X is priced higher, it never sells.

Just don't see how they can get 2.5-3X that at Cabelas, in this economy.

.............juanni

HighRatMaster
September 26, 2013, 23:53
That's why you should not leave MT, you need to get back down by the river. If you have a hankerin' for a cheap Mauser head over to Capital Sports and Western. Shop local, support the yokels.

tallen702
September 27, 2013, 06:48
Bubba pays those prices. :devil:

Pretty much.

Heck, even on Gunbroker you see things you can pick up for under 2-bills with a C&R going for way more than they should. The average gun buyer in the US is a fudd plain and simple. That's not to say that progress isn't being made in educating people as to how much something is actually worth, but the vast majority are still expecting to pay large bills for sh*tty stuff.

I also suspect that a lot of these were brought in during the panic buying mode and now they aren't willing to take the hit/loss to try and get rid of them quickly.

juanni
September 27, 2013, 07:52
That's why you should not leave MT, you need to get back down by the river. If you have a hankerin' for a cheap Mauser head over to Capital Sports and Western. Shop local, support the yokels.

Nah, rivers flood. I am up a creek and well out of any floodplain. :wink:

I usually buy via GB or private party, with a few exceptions my experience with most gun and pawn shops are they are a total waste of time.
And my money if I was so foolish.

............juanni

ismith
September 27, 2013, 10:57
Nah, rivers flood. I am up a creek and well out of any floodplain. :wink:

I usually buy via GB or private party, with a few exceptions my experience with most gun and pawn shops are they are a total waste of time.
And my money if I was so foolish.

............juanni

Capital Sports and Western is definitely worth checking out from time to time. A buddy of mine has scored some pretty good snags there in the recent past. Now that I think about it, I have as well. I picked up a couple of GI 1911s there for pretty dang cheap.

juanni
September 27, 2013, 11:02
Capital Sports and Western is definitely worth checking out from time to time. A buddy of mine has scored some pretty good snags there in the recent past. Now that I think about it, I have as well. I picked up a couple of GI 1911s there for pretty dang cheap.

Well since 2 of you have said so, I will!

Unfortunately, I really don't travel near Helena too often.

............juanni

HighRatMaster
September 27, 2013, 13:52
Funny this came up as yesterday I was shooting a nice Mark X .270 that I bought from Arnie at Capitol Sports back in '92. It was my son's first deer rifle and now it's his best friends first deer rifle. I got many great deals from there, including a S&W M41 for $280 during a midnite madness sale. :eek:

Definitely a good place to check out but I haven't been there in 10 years. :sad:

Cav1
September 28, 2013, 09:19
Haven't been to Helena in ages but now I have a hankering to just to go see ol' Capital Sports. Maybe next time there's a gunshow up that way. I hope the big outdoorsy chain stores moving into town didn't put them under.

"The Fort" in Big Timber and Shedhorn Sports in Ennis is always worth checking out if you go through those areas.

Just out of curiosity I checked out prices on used bolt guns in some pawn shops fairly recently and had a hard time not laughing in their faces at the prices they wanted.

Like I say, it's been years, but I thought there was a guy in East Helena who used to specialize in military Mausers.

357ross
September 28, 2013, 10:10
It's the same at the Cabela's here too. Used up Mosin Nagants- 599. The new rifles are a little more than local gun stores, so I'm not sure how they sell anything. Maybe Kerry signing the UN treaty has them confident they'll get these prices.

nearmisses
October 09, 2013, 14:18
Maybe this will explain some of it but you're right, Cabala's isn't too bright unless. They probably do it so they sell more new guns and don't have the legal problems associated with used guns. Make them as much as a new gun and you'll sell new almost every time. Big R in Ponderay doesn't even sell used.

jaunni, if live over in Montana, Heron area and you manage to get over near Sandpoint for a show or shoping give a call, ck LTR website for the number.

http://nypost.com/2013/10/08/us-adults-are-dumber-than-the-average-human/

justashooter
October 09, 2013, 16:16
cabellas in south portland maine has mosins for $159, mausers in near original for $300, sporting rifles not too high, a nice 98 mauser harpoon gun conversion that i am seriously considering...had a flood of $600-700 remington 8's in 95% from as private collection (like a dozen of them). me, i bought a 1911 produced 35 rem model 8 in the white for $250.

juanni
January 03, 2014, 01:19
Almost 3 months later........

Swung through Cabelas again, far as I can remember all that ratshit is still there (maybe Fudds aren't so dumb after all??) but they are lowering the prices, now the Mark Xs are $799, the military config start at $499 for a thrashed Turk, and Bubba 98 mil Sporters start at $599.

Seem to have more uniquely finished ones too.
Saw a few that had all the bluing crudely sanded off and what appeared to be Tru Oil slobbered all over the exposed bare metal.
Nice touch when it yellows with age and cracks. :wink:

The hands down winner was a Voere Cougar commercial 98, probably from the 60s.
No scope, weaver bases.
Had a bolt on tang safety and a light yellow/orangey stock with basketweave checkering.
Various scuffs, bruises, rust and a stock that was completely broken in two at the wrist.
The stock was "repaired" with a quart of epoxy and apparently no attempt to pull the 2 parts together leaving a 1/4" glue line and a large brass screw right though the repair.
Topped off with some random disc grinder vandalizing on the buttstock.
$799.

There were a number marked "caliber unknown", curious how you can sell something like that and not be sued when the obvious eventually occurs. :uhoh:

The daily puzzler was a labeled "Model 98" with a Remington 700 take off barrel installed.
Wondered how the gunsmith fit the smaller Remington barrel tendon to the larger Mauser receiver threads.
Bushing??
Then I realized it was a small ring. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

............juanni

MACV
January 28, 2014, 21:59
I'm pretty much done with Cabela's. I've spent a ton of money there over the years on camping gear and such. Good quality but their prices have gotten crazy lately. Then they jumped into the ammo gouging with a lot of other companies. I can buy new guns for the price of their used ones.

nearmisses
May 20, 2014, 21:05
Cabala's down in Post Falls has ammo no one else has at times, got some 7.62x25 and 9x18 Makarov, even 22's somedays. That's about all I care to say about the place other than a great place to view wildlife indoors. That's what makes the 100 mile drive worth the gas. I'll have to look at the Mauser rack sometime.

juanni
October 30, 2014, 21:55
Wow, been over a year since I started this thread, swung by Cabelas today and as far as mentioned in his thread EVERY gun is still there.

Currently any military configured 98, from a crappy Turk on up is $495, Mark Xs start at $599, the one commercial FN is $799.
There are $50 off signs for any used rifle or shotgun over $400.
^Keep going Cabelas. :p

I did stop by Capital Sports last Feb, kinda shocked at how small the gun selection was for all you fellas talking it up.
Anyway, all they had was 1 commercial Husky 98, for $595 or so, if I recall.

............juanni

ALL FAL
October 30, 2014, 22:06
Hey, at least the pre 64 Mod 70's are holding their VALUE, the rest are Not value priced, they are Gouger priced.

juanni
October 30, 2014, 23:48
Hey, at least the pre 64 Mod 70's are holding their VALUE, the rest are Not value priced, they are Gouger priced.

I dunno, my bro recently scored a pre 64 featherweight in 30-06 that was in excellent condition for a no haggling price of $800 in a gunshop.

I haven't seen any go for that in the recent past. Maybe they are falling a bit too??

G'pa had given him the same gun in 243 win which he has been hunting with for 35 years and he had been looking for something with more weenies for elk.

But man, those ex-militay mausers sporterized by every yahoo with a knife and a file sure look dated. Clumsy, poorly finished stocks, little to no metalwork, polish or bluing, with long heavy barrels sure make a new Zastava at $350 look like a bargain. :uhoh:
http://www.centerfiresystems.com/RI1980-N.aspx

............juanni

Blackmore
October 31, 2014, 05:27
If you think the prices on the open racks are high, don't go into the Gun "Library".

Tuhlmann
October 31, 2014, 11:59
I nearly wet my pants laughing at this gem:

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/Tuhlmann/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps5b860c9e.jpg

In all it's ban-era neutered glory, too!

I love Cabela's, but their firearms marketing and sales is run by a bunch of re-rees.

Topbanana
October 31, 2014, 13:22
We used to go because it was fun to look, never bought much more than cleaning supplies from those tools.

bulletslap
November 01, 2014, 21:01
My best Mauser skinning of Cabela's was a 99 dollar FR-8. I sold it later to a files member.

JR in the NW
November 02, 2014, 23:01
An acquaintance of mine recently picked up a Mauser banner rifle for $250.00 while surplus Mauser rough condition were asking over $400.00. He couldn't believe his luck either. Bluing on the banner barreled action was nearly flawless.