PDA

View Full Version : Todays Project

Andy the Aussie
September 21, 2013, 23:19
... so, I could not sit around all weekend just feeling sorry for myself so I occupied myself putting my .375H&H back together after some bits and pieces got done. The rifle is am early 1970s Winchester M70 that I have had since around 1983 or 84. Over the last couple of years I have become more interested in toying with it (it really was just a bit of a utilitarian "tool" most of its life), the trip to Africa next year gave me that much more purpose. So, first was to dispense with the dodgy bridge mount that blocked about 1/3 of the action, getting rounds in there was fiddly I found at the best of time, under pressure that much more so..!!!! I have had the Leupold 1.5-5x for a number of years and got it with the express purpose of sitting it on this rifle (it has been on there for five or six years already and before that a 2-7 x Leupold before that). A couple of years ago I got a Williams Firearms one piece steel floorplate (to replace the two piece aluminum jobby that SUCKED) and some hex head bolts.

Now when the floorplate arrived I found the "minor fitting" was more than I wanted to attempt so it got stuck in the safe till a month ago when I dropped the stock off to a guy who had some good feedback for his work. I had him inlet the stock and strip and remove the old factory urethane finish and apply a plain oil finish to the wood. He also bedded the floorplate while he had it there. I got the call to collect it during the week.

So, with some time on my hands and an ice pack on my throbbing ankle I set to work in the Man Cave and screwed it all together yesterday. In the end I had to shorten (and because I am being fussy - reblue the ends) the hex bolts. While I had the blueing cream out I did a few bare patches of metal UNDER the wood so as to protect them from rust, the exposed metal that is a bit worn adds character (chicks dig scars is the saying that springs to mind ) and are easily attended to .

Finished all the tinkering up today when I torqued the bolts to 60 in/lbs and attached the new sling.

Now for a trip to the range to dial it all in ...

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af98/Andy_the_Aussie/Guns/M70_375No2_zps389392b3.jpg (http://s997.photobucket.com/user/Andy_the_Aussie/media/Guns/M70_375No2_zps389392b3.jpg.html)

jaykden
September 22, 2013, 02:42
Nice!

Tell me more about this africa trip!!!

moonbat60
September 27, 2013, 11:43
Hey Andy,

nice gun. I hope your hunting trip works out ok. I've got a Winchester M70 myself, a .308cal. Heavy Varmint that I bought in 2000.

Mine does not look like yours at all. Black synthetic stock, heavy barrel of 26" and a 6-24x50mm scope on top.

The stock is a Bell & Carlson. I also got a Harris bipod 9-13" on it. It probably weighs in that setup about 12 to 14lbs.

Abominog
September 27, 2013, 12:26
Nice!

Tell me more about this africa trip!!!

It was...get this...a gift from Mrs. Andy.

PASHOOTER
September 27, 2013, 15:08
The problem with going to Africa is you will never be happy until you can go again. In August of 2005 I went to South Africa's eastern cape. I spent 15 days hunting and site seeing. I will never get to go again due to the cost but there is not a day goes by that I don't think of returning. Andy Have fun and take lots of pictures.

What will you be hunting?

Andy the Aussie
September 27, 2013, 15:42
It was...get this...a gift from Mrs. Andy. ..... yes..... and I have been seeing all the increased life insurance policy paperwork arriving..... :eek:

At this point, Cape Buffalo, Croc and Warthog (eclectic mix I know) and some others to be added a little later I suspect, the trip IS all about Cape Buffalo though.... :cool::cool:

Brian in MN
September 27, 2013, 21:06
Wow, she must really want to get you out of the house. Can we all come over and play with your stuff while you are gone?

Andy2205
September 28, 2013, 07:29
Nice rifle, old model 70's are the shit. I have my dad's pre64 M70 Featerweight in 30-06. Manufacture date was some time in 1960.

Dead nuts shooters with a very reliable action.

Andy the Aussie
September 28, 2013, 16:14
Wow, she must really want to get you out of the house. Can we all come over and play with your stuff while you are gone?...... I suspect she does, once I started building small fires in the corner of the sitting room, cooking rodents on sticks and peeing off the front verandah I think she knew it was time for me to be sent BACK into the wild for a time.... ;) Of course you can play with my toys, just don't cut yourself... your blood may corrode something........ :tongue:

jaykden
September 29, 2013, 11:49
She's a damn good woman!

Story
September 30, 2013, 15:33
..... yes..... and I have been seeing all the increased life insurance policy paperwork arriving..... :eek:

At this point, Cape Buffalo, Croc and Warthog (eclectic mix I know) and some others to be added a little later I suspect, the trip IS all about Cape Buffalo though.... :cool::cool:

Are you familiar with nitroexpress.com ?

Andy the Aussie
October 01, 2013, 05:01
Are you familiar with nitroexpress.com ? .... I am not....but I may need to be.... ;)