PDA

View Full Version : mosin nagant trigger job

Guy-epic
September 15, 2013, 17:06
So I decided to give my mosin some attention today. Went on the old inter web and found out you can add a shim and lighten the trigger pull. Guess what is works great! Very easy to check it out.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4zB2MQ51UU

metalreptile
September 15, 2013, 20:32
For some reason, that would just kick my firearms OCD into high gear. I removed the ugly orange crap from all my Mosins & it doesn't bother me, but this....I just dunno. I know, I'm weird. :uhoh:
To each his own tho. Hope it works out well for you! :beer:

metalreptile
September 17, 2013, 16:40
You know, I been thinking about this. I know, I know.....that could be dangerous. Anyway, seems to me, this would not actually "lighten" the trigger pull, it would be more like having a rifle with the trigger partially pulled on a live round, every time you put a round in the chamber. While it may make the trigger pull feel better to you, are you sure it is not actually dangerous? I think the sear is no longer fully engaged, and the rifle could possibly fire if dropped or banged around much. I'm no expert on the Mosin by far, but just from the results of my thinking, I know I'll never try this regardless of my OCD tendencies. Shoot & have fun, but be careful man!
Also, the guy that made the video......if somebody got hurt using his "instructions".....would he be liable? He has no warnings of any possible dangers whatsoever.
Any of you guys with more Mosin savvy than me please chime in here. Wouldn't this be a bit on the dangerous side?

Guy-epic
September 17, 2013, 17:23
You know, I been thinking about this. I know, I know.....that could be dangerous. Anyway, seems to me, this would not actually "lighten" the trigger pull, it would be more like having a rifle with the trigger partially pulled on a live round, every time you put a round in the chamber. While it may make the trigger pull feel better to you, are you sure it is not actually dangerous? I think the sear is no longer fully engaged, and the rifle could possibly fire if dropped or banged around much. I'm no expert on the Mosin by far, but just from the results of my thinking, I know I'll never try this regardless of my OCD tendencies. Shoot & have fun, but be careful man!
Also, the guy that made the video......if somebody got hurt using his "instructions".....would he be liable? He has no warnings of any possible dangers whatsoever.
Any of you guys with more Mosin savvy than me please chime in here. Wouldn't this be a bit on the dangerous side?

Good advice and I take it seriously, I have ran snap cap rounds thru it about 50 times and tried to get it to fail, it did not. I understand that these are not actual live rounds but so far so good. It did lighten the trigger pull, but it ain't no Timney trigger or even close. I would also like to hear what others have to say. The great thing about this modification is I can reverse it easily. This is one reason I did it. Thanks for your advice and concern. Please any one that knows the Mosin chime in.

GaryH
September 18, 2013, 02:30
You can buy it too with a return spring
http://www.amazon.com/Trigger-Spring-Mosin-Nagant-free/dp/B008QBME7M/ref=sr_1_16/182-0159661-6957573?ie=UTF8&qid=1379489335&sr=8-16&keywords=mosin+nagant+kit

People use the end of an electrical connector too, the aluminum ones.

metalreptile
September 18, 2013, 09:32
You can buy it too with a return spring
http://www.amazon.com/Trigger-Spring-Mosin-Nagant-free/dp/B008QBME7M/ref=sr_1_16/182-0159661-6957573?ie=UTF8&qid=1379489335&sr=8-16&keywords=mosin+nagant+kit

People use the end of an electrical connector too, the aluminum ones.

Solely my opinion of course, but seems to me this seller is just another guy that is a lawsuit waiting to happen. For me, I believe I'll still leave the mechanics of my Mosins as they were meant to be. If I need that much accuracy & sweet trigger pulls, I'll reach for some other rifle. :rofl:
To each his own tho......have fun!! :beer:

ArtBanks
September 19, 2013, 00:50
Personally I like Timney triggers in my Mosins. I like the safety addition and the the smooth lightened trigger pull. I just stuck one of them in an Archangel stock and use their 10 rnd mags. First Mosin I picked up was in 1967 for $15. Most of the time I think that's about all they are worth.

Rudolf
October 02, 2013, 20:47
I use the Huber concept trigger.

but I ordered the shim kit from ebay.

Works good.