PDA

View Full Version : Which suppressors?

ncjeeper
September 04, 2013, 20:09
With the change in NC law my sheriff may start signing form 4s. So I would like to get a suppressor for my ruger 10-22 and my ar-15. Looking for suggestions on what brands to look at.

2barearms
September 04, 2013, 20:17
Look up Silencerco. I got a Trident9 by SWR as my general purpose can.
AAC, Gemtech and others out there. Make sure whatever you get it has a
'universal' base, ie, I can use my Trident 9 on my S&W M&P 9, my 9mm AR
15 and my Seekins 300 Black Out.

I still need a Form 1 for an SBR and a 22/223 can.

Warbirds Custom Guns
September 04, 2013, 23:06
So I would like to get a suppressor for my ruger 10-22 and my ar-15. Looking for suggestions on what brands to look at.

I single piece of advice to you.
Make sure you can take it apart to clean.
Not all suppressors are created equal.

A 22 can should be stainless.
Cheap aluminum don't last.

Lots of options for the 223.
I'm trying to find time to make of few of those now.
Very few on the market will be as quiet as a 308 can but, that's the draw backs for high speed & low drag.

Artful
September 04, 2013, 23:44
22LR's are dirty shooting - need to have a cleanable can.

One suggestion is to get a 9mm can that's cleanable and you can shoot 22LR and 9mm thru it. A good .45 can will do the same thing - example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0cMuEpVOuQ

Rifle pressures require a different can, you can look into a lightweight 308 can that you can mount to your AR or you can get a dedicated 223 can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOsXN-n3yf8

Silencerco, Liberty, AAC and many others make good can's but you have to narrow down what you want your can to do.

EricCartmanR1
September 05, 2013, 09:52
I am very happy with all my Silencers, YHM SS .308, YHM SS .223, and a TAC-65 .22 can.

I have an Osprey .45, and a YHM Ti that I have purchased and now just waiting for the transfer.

Stranger
September 05, 2013, 17:19
With the change in NC law my sheriff may start signing form 4s. So I would like to get a suppressor for my ruger 10-22 and my ar-15. Looking for suggestions on what brands to look at.

I have a few different cans in different calibers by different manufacturers.

I have been most impressed by SWR/Silencer Co and AAC.

The Spectre II by Silencerco is the best owner serviceable 22 LR can ever made. It is a steel can that you can disassemble without special tool to clean. It offers very good suppression.

The Octane 9 HD II by SWR/Silencerco is my favorite suppressor. It sports steel baffles and is also owner serviceable.

I have an AAC 762SDN6 that does double duty on on my .308 and .223 rifles.

I have Gemtech suppressors in 22 LR (Outback), 9 mm (Tundra), and .223 (G5) but they never get out of the safe except for demonstrations/classes. Gemtech cans cost a premium price but you end up getting an inferior product. I can't service them and after a couple problems in the past I don't trust Gemtech's customer service. Other companies have surpassed Gemtech in technology, production, and service.

Falcon
September 05, 2013, 18:24
Good forum for info...http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/

A1Trigger_Happy
September 05, 2013, 20:46
I like my SilencerCo Sparrow. Pretty quiet can. Maybe one of these days I'll send it in for the core upgrade. They say the new stainless steel cores can handle full auto and are rated for up to 5.7x28.

L Haney
September 05, 2013, 20:58
I just ordered a Gemtech Outback II. Comes apart for cleaning. Rimfire only. Simple K baffle can for a SIG 1911-22.

ncjeeper
September 06, 2013, 13:21
Thanks for the replies. I talked to a swat member friend of mine and he said that they like and use surefire and aac. He said the aac stuff is the most quiet.

Artful
September 06, 2013, 16:10
Thanks for the replies. I talked to a swat member friend of mine and he said that they like and use surefire and aac. He said the aac stuff is the most quiet.

Between two makers - I'd agree with him :biggrin:

BigBoy1
September 06, 2013, 16:38
I bought a Knight's Armament QD suppressor (this is the model the US Special Forces are using) for my selective fire AR18. The suppressor makes it sound like a .22LR shooting. Since the suppressor attaches to the flash hider, I put a flash hider on my Ruger 10/22 and can swap the suppressor between the two with ease. I also mounts a flash hider on a S&W 22 pistol so I have three suppressed weapons and only one transfer fee for the single suppressor. I'm very happy and pleased with the Knight's QD suppressor.

EricCartmanR1
September 06, 2013, 17:07
One thing I wish for ALL SILENCERS is for the mount to be a Universal Thread. Where one mount would work for all cans (as long as caliber is the same).

Having said that, YHM mounts are only $75.

partisan50
September 08, 2013, 08:41
A 22 can should be stainless.
Cheap aluminum don't last.

Stainless is an option, mainly for heavy duty, 22 mag, 5.7 Fn, 17 mag, but can be a bit heavy for some pistols.

As far as "cheap aluminum don't last" you have absolutely no idea of what you are talking about.:rolleyes:

Warbirds Custom Guns
September 09, 2013, 23:01
As far as "cheap aluminum don't last" you have absolutely no idea of what you are talking about.:rolleyes:
30 years of experience says I'm right.
Damage is easier to do to aluminum than stainless.
Threads on aluminum will always fail.
Corrosion is also a BIG factor due to the softer metal.
I could go on but, I made my point more than once.

That's very debatable. :rolleyes:
Anyone who has a AAC CYCLONE 308 can that would like to come over & go head to head with one of mine, let me know & I'll make the time.
I'll even supply the ammo so there's no cheating.

I have sold many of my 308 cans to LEO's that were impressed compared to the AAC can.

Stranger
September 10, 2013, 09:15
Stainless is an option, mainly for heavy duty, 22 mag, 5.7 Fn, 17 mag, but can be a bit heavy for some pistols.

Even with relatively low pressure 22LR the errosion on the first couple baffles of an aluminum can after 1000+ rounds is easily observed. I had all the aluminum baffles in my cans replaced with SS. I literally wore out the aluminum K baffles on my TAC65 (10,000+ rounds with baffle rotation).

Artful
September 11, 2013, 23:13
True - that's why many have steel inserts in Aluminum cans.

Anyone who has a AAC CYCLONE 308 can that would like to come over & go head to head with one of mine, let me know & I'll make the time.

I have sold many of my 308 cans to LEO's that were impressed compared to the AAC can.

Is that subsonic 308 or high velocity 308 you'll be giving away? :)

So have your cans been metered following mil-spec test protocals?

L1A1rocker
September 12, 2013, 00:17
I'm rather partial to Liberty and AAC myself.

Warbirds Custom Guns
September 12, 2013, 08:07
Originally Posted by Warbirds Custom Guns
True - that's why many have steel inserts in Aluminum cans.
I never made that statement in red.
Maybe your ability to quote someone is failing you ?
I've never seen steel inserts in aluminum cans.
Kinda defeats the purpose of using aluminum.

[B]
Is that subsonic 308 or high velocity 308 you'll be giving away? :)

So have your cans been metered following mil-spec test protocals?
I never said I was giving away anything.
Maybe your reading skills need some help ?

To answer your question.
Decibel Reduction 30-32+ Decibels (depending on ammo. & conditions)
Test ammo. was Federal Gold Medal Match & LC 7.62x51 nato.
We plan to do testing again this fall when the weather cools down.

I'm rather partial to Liberty and AAC myself.
Liberty uses obsolete Com Block monocore baffles which has been outdated by 50 years.
Monocore baffles don't protect the inside of the tube either & cleaning can be a nightmare.
You can have those welded up AAC cans too & good luck with their non existent repair dept. if you ever need it.
AAC is just a name like Remington.
Popular only because of mass advertising.
Oh & the number of problems they have had are to many to count.

Artful
September 12, 2013, 21:22
I never made that statement in red.
Kinda defeats the purpose of using aluminum.

I never said I was giving away anything.
Maybe your reading skills need some help ?

To answer your question.
Decibel Reduction 30-32+ Decibels (depending on ammo. & conditions)
Test ammo. was Federal Gold Medal Match & LC 7.62x51 nato.
We plan to do testing again this fall when the weather cools down.

-The BOLD in my reply was my comments
- maybe your comprehension is set on low...
lets try it this way...
- Nope, not a quote of you, see above
-we need to have you get out more, it's been a practice by others who recognized early on the galling issues with all aluminum cans.

No my reading skills seem just fine...

Decibel Reduction 30-32+ Db is pretty good with full power ammo.
Do you have a link to your cans specification?

L1A1rocker
September 12, 2013, 21:47
Liberty uses obsolete Com Block monocore baffles which has been outdated by 50 years.
Monocore baffles don't protect the inside of the tube either & cleaning can be a nightmare.
You can have those welded up AAC cans too & good luck with their non existent repair dept. if you ever need it.
AAC is just a name like Remington.
Popular only because of mass advertising.
Oh & the number of problems they have had are to many to count.

Wow, that's a very interesting marketing strategy you have there. Never heard of your company before but you've made a very lasting first impression with me.

Skilter
September 12, 2013, 21:48
For 22... see if you can find some old Joe Gadini SWR integrated cans. They rock and will last a lifetime.

Outside of that... get a M4 F/A and can from Surefire... just be done with it.

YMMV

Artful
September 12, 2013, 23:44
Wow, that's a very interesting marketing strategy you have there. Never heard of your company before but you've made a very lasting first impression with me.

Yep, he's a smooth talker :biggrin:

dtom29
September 20, 2013, 04:26
First, All manufactures have great suppressors (that they are know for) and not so great. Gemtech has the SandStorm(direct thread on) and the QuickSand(QD mount) These are very light weight Titanium 30 cal suppressors that meter as good or better than any other suppressor on the market. I have the SandStorm and use it on a Remington bolt gun, Keltec RFB, FAL, 300 BLK AR, 5.56 AR, and SIG 556. I would not spend my money on a 5.56/223 suppressor when you get as good or better suppression from a 30 cal silencer and it is more versatile. AAC, Liberty, Silencerco, SAS all make great 30 cal silencers, some are heavier than others and weight is really a big factor. Spend the extra money to get the lightest suppressor you can.Don't cheap out here, you will regret it.
Get a dedicated .22 silencer. A 9mm/45/40/ etc. silencer will be too heavy and bulky on your .22 pistol to be enjoyable for very long. You will enjoy an aluminum cored .22 suppressor just as much as a stainless...as long as you're not ridiculously anal about cleaning it. All that is really needed is a brushing to get the loose stuff off every couple of thousand rounds. if you have to have it spotless every hundred rounds get stainless. Thompson Machine ISIS22 is a great suppressor at a great price.
If you're going to get a pistol suppressor get caliber specific, in other words if you have a 9mm get a 9mm suppressor, 40 get .40 cal suppressor. The weight on a pistol makes a difference, even a couple of ounces. I like the AAC (I had a problem that was unrelated to the manufacture with my TiRant9 and AAC went out of their way to solve it) TiRant9 and TiRant45 both are light and very quiet. The liberty Mystic, and Infinti are very good with the Mystic able to handle a vast amount of calibers but the infinti being lighter.
I've had a chance to interact with the folks from SAS, liberty, Gemtech, Thompson Machine, Silencerco, and AAC. They are all a great bunch of people that will go out of their way for you. I have NO experience with Surefire but I know that their suppressors are over priced and no better weight wise and suppression wise than those mentioned. Good Luck, do a lot of research, and check out the independent testing results at nfatalk.com also.

ncjeeper
January 15, 2014, 13:21
Update
I just ordered a sparrow by silencerco for my 22. Now the wait.

Stranger
January 15, 2014, 15:28
Update

Good choice. The waiting is teh suk.

Did you go private or trust on the Form 4?

EricCartmanR1
January 15, 2014, 15:28
Update

I need another .22 can I chose that one too. Expect about 8-10 month wait.

ncjeeper
January 15, 2014, 18:13
Good choice. The waiting is teh suk.

Did you go private or trust on the Form 4?
Once it comes in to my FFL/SOT then I hope to get it on a form 4. Fingers crossed.

L Haney
January 15, 2014, 18:27
I just ordered a Gemtech Outback II. Comes apart for cleaning. Rimfire only. Simple K baffle can for a SIG 1911-22.

Can arrived and I mailed the app on the 8th. Now the wait.

Ink fingerprints. Heh, haven't seen that done in a while. Wonder if them boys up there got touch tone phones yet? Next thing you know they won't have to wrap paper around the fax machine drum.

shortround
January 15, 2014, 18:48
I just got the stamp for a can I bought last February 6th. The two cans I bought last october I don't expect to have until next Christmas or later.

I bought two AAC cans when Michigan first made them legal here. They were someone elses order that they didn't want, so I got them for a discount.

I'm not unhappy with them, but after having them, I find I could have done things different. I got a 7.62 SD and an M4/SPR. I wanted a can for each 7.62 and 5.56, but didn't understand at the time that the 7.62 would work as well or better than the 5.56 can. The SD is fine, but the M4/SPR requires the rarer and more expensive Miter mount.

The 22 can I chose wisely. 22 Sparrow SS.

For a pistol can, I got the 45 Osprey. While I have no complaints about the Osprey using it on several 45 and 40 pistols as a host, it just doesn't look right on a 45 carbine. I have a 45 TiRant waiting for a stamp for that.

Best bet: Go to Silencer talk and do your homework.

Tuhlmann
January 15, 2014, 19:33
Bypass all the forum "xx year experts", pissing matches, and hype and talk to Zach or Ray at Thunderbeast Arms. They actually compete looooong distance and have designed their suppressors accordingly. You can actually call and have a factual conversation about the pros and cons of various designs and they will tell you why and how they make what they make. They won't try and sell you. Your applications may warrant a different product, and they will be the first to tell you with honesty. Talk to the designer/builder/shooter, not slicked up super cool sales rep.

The fact is there is no best suppressor for every application. Each one must make compromises in one area to make gains in another. Physics is phunny that way. Also, don't get caught up in YouTube videos and base your sound comparison on camcorder (or worse, cellphone) recorded sound. They are not capable of range and tone signatures, and compress all sound. Likewise, db ratings don't tell the whole story either, because there is no defined testing standard for the companies to adhere to, so it's pretty close to irrevelent in terms of "truth", but it makes for good marketing! Tone has as much or more to do with percieved sound suppression than actual db's. I bought my first .22 can (TBAC 22L-1) by hearing it side-by-side to two of the better-hyped brands and the difference was impressive.

Also, .22 suppressors don't "need" to be cleaned like everyone thinks, either. Seems counter-intuitive I know, but it's true. Don't believe me? I don't care. I'll promise you more damage is done by doofus do-righters fugging parts up by "cleaning" too much than not. Same thing is true for firearms in general, and we all know that. Take that for what it's worth to you, you'll make your own decisions anyways. Good luck!

L Haney
January 15, 2014, 20:20
Also, don't get caught up in YouTube videos and base your sound comparison on camcorder (or worse, cellphone) recorded sound. They are not capable of range and tone signatures, and compress all sound. Likewise, db ratings don't tell the whole story either, because there is no defined testing standard for the companies to adhere to, so it's pretty close to irrevelent in terms of "truth", but it makes for good marketing! Tone has as much or more to do with percieved sound suppression than actual db's.

Amen! You sound like me!

I used to record sounds that were vibrating twenty ton concrete supports apart. The customer was, shall we say, wanting answers. The customer was Uncle Sam.

Sound is phunny. Your ear is a damn poor gauge, but in the case of a weapon silencer, is really the only one that matters.

God knows I wish somebody would task (and pay richly) for me determining a standard testing regime for these products. I got the chops to do it. NIST knows my name.

Oh well, I can dream, can't I?

2barearms
January 16, 2014, 07:28
Now that you are quiet, you need to invisible too. Time for some IR.

Stranger
January 16, 2014, 10:34
Also, .22 suppressors don't "need" to be cleaned like everyone thinks, either. Seems counter-intuitive I know, but it's true. Don't believe me? I don't care. I'll promise you more damage is done by doofus do-righters fugging parts up by "cleaning" too much than not.

Yeah, and you don't "need" to change the oil and filter in your car like everyone thinks, either. Seems counter-intuitive I know, but its true. Don't believe me? I don't care. I'll promise you more damage is done by doofus do-righters fugging parts up by "changing oil" too much than not.

You don't "need" to reroof your house after that last hail storm put holes in it like everyone thinks. It seems counter-intuitive I know, but its true… trust me, I'm an internet blowhard. I know more on any subject than anyone on this board… In fact, I know everything about everything... :rolleyes:

You don't know shit from Shinola. Never mind the fact that manufacturers specify when a suppressor should be cleaned/rebuilt (by either sending it back for $$$$ or doing it yourself), look at what actually happens when you shoot 22LR suppressed. Hard, black carbon/lead deposits build up in 22LR cans. Lots of it builds up. When there is so much build-up in your 22LR can that you can't tell the difference between the report with it installed or off, it is time to clean your can. Only, if you have waited that long, it is never going to come clean because the deposits are too thick and hard. You won't be able to distinguish can from deposit.

I wonder if you even own a suppressor with a retarded comment that. Anyone who has put 10K rounds of bulk pack 22LR through a suppressor would know there is a significant decrease in suppression.

While I am on my soap box I would like to say that Phil Dater is a ******* douchebag for promoting the falsehood that 22LR cans don't need to be cleaned. Even after his shitty company put out a user disassemblable can he continues to express disdain at users cleaning it themselves. He wants users to fill them up and ship them back for cleaning/rebuilding. Dater lies so that he can make more money on the back end.

Tuhlmann
January 16, 2014, 14:00
Yes, because cars are just like suppressors, which are also nearly identical to roofs. Good analogies.:rolleyes:

I stated my opinion based on my own personal experiences. I am not alone. You can disagree all you want, and go buy any number of takedown type suppressors and be happy. I never claimed they were inferior, just not necessary. If the OP's objective is to be as quiet as possible he may not want to discount a sealed unit. If cleaning remains a concern you can always use an ultrasonic cleaner, or in the case of TBAC they will clean your can for free every year if you wish.

And who is Phil Dater and what was his failed company you are referencing? If you have superior knowledge and experience rooted on actual fact then please share it. Otherwise your rant just shows you to be a "blowhard". This type. Of response exactly why I recommended the OP talk to a builder.

Stranger
January 16, 2014, 15:00
Yes, because cars are just like suppressors, which are also nearly identical to roofs. Good analogies.:rolleyes:

I stated my opinion based on my own personal experiences. I am not alone. You can disagree all you want, and go buy any number of takedown type suppressors and be happy. I never claimed they were inferior, just not necessary. If the OP's objective is to be as quiet as possible he may not want to discount a sealed unit. If cleaning remains a concern you can always use an ultrasonic cleaner, or in the case of TBAC they will clean your can for free every year if you wish.

And who is Phil Dater and what was his failed company you are referencing? If you have superior knowledge and experience rooted on actual fact then please share it. Otherwise your rant just shows you to be a "blowhard". This type. Of response exactly why I recommended the OP talk to a builder.

The anologies only reflect the failed logic in your posting. None of those examples "needs" to be done, but there are very convincing arguments for why they should be done. You go so far as to imply cleaning shouldn't be done because "doofus do-righters" [are] "fugging parts up". (i.e…. "more damage is done by doofus do-righters fugging parts up by "cleaning" too much than not") Where you stand on the issue of user servicable suppressors is unambiguous. Where you stand on the issue is also plainly wrong. A 22LR suppressor will require cleaning at some point during its useful lifetime.

The same thoughtful consideration and rationale that goes into replacing a roof to save your house applies to suppressors. I plan on keeping my 22LR suppressors around for a long time. A 22LR suppressor will eventually fail to perform its designed function because it fills with residue. It is a fact. This is not even a point of debate. After just 20K rounds it will not work as well. At that point you will have to either send it back to the manufacturer for rebuilding or repair it yourself. I reiterate, a 22LR suppressor will require cleaning at some point during its useful lifetime.

If you PLAN to send it back to the manufacturer you are making a lot of assumptions. You assume the manufacturer will still be in business. You assume the laws won't change regarding shipping/transfer/ownership. You assume UPS will ship it for you. You assume it won't get LOST in transit. How long has BTAC been around? How long will they be around? Will they always service them for free? What happens if they lose their SOT and/or FFL?

If, however, you plan to service it yourself you have none of those concerns. Manufacturers can come and go, shipping companies may change their policies at a whim, Shaniqwa at FedEx won't go home with something he found at work, and you will still have a suppressor that works.

"Builders" (I assume you mean designers/manufacturers) are not objective. Builders are business people. In their attempts to sell their products they will come up with all sorts of reasons why their product is the best. They will rationalize why their thingy is better. They will even go so far as to lie to get you to buy their stuff. For example, Phil Dater (GemTech) did not, originally, have a user servisable design, so he shat on and talked down about all the products and manufacturers who were providing user serviceable cans. Now, interestingly, he has jumped on the US bandwagon.

Look, I shoot a lot of 22LR through 5 different suppressor from three different manufacturers every year. Last year I only shot through twenty 500+ round bulk packs of 22LR ammo (not including CCI minimags for competition) and it was a slow year. I know from experience that 22LR cans fill up with crud and stop working.

Tuhlmann
January 16, 2014, 15:49
I'm out of give-a-fuks, so you win. OP, good luck in your journey. You'll have a lot of fun no matter what you choose.Just look at me....I'm such a fool as to have going about it all wrong all these years (according to the resident expert Stranger) and I've still enjoyed my suppressors well beyond the price of owning them.

Artful
January 16, 2014, 16:00
And who is Phil Dater and what was his failed company you are referencing?

OMG, this says so much right there - :bow:

Stranger
January 16, 2014, 17:07
...I'm such a fool as to have going about it all wrong all these years (according to the resident expert Stranger) ...

You are taking things too personally. No one, including me, said you were going about it wrong. No one said your should only shoot with one suppressor or another. You can do whatever you like. You can use sealed cans, wipe cans, K-baffles, use two-liter bottles filled with cotton, or shoot the latest tungsten-neodinium alloy W-baffled suppressor. You are welcome to shoot with a 10 lb lead pipe hanging off the end of your barrel.

However, I am not going to sit idly by while you flippantly dismiss one very important option and consideration when discussing 22LR suppressors.

Your statement that 22LR suppressors will/do not needed to be cleaned is just flat wrong. It will need to be cleaned eventually if the buyers wants it to continue functioning.

Tuhlmann
January 16, 2014, 18:50
I haven't taken any of this personally. You fellas provide me with much entertainment!

Stranger
January 17, 2014, 11:37
I haven't taken any of this personally. You fellas provide me with much entertainment!

Ah, so you are just trying to be a douche. Good job. Mission accomplished.

Skilter
January 17, 2014, 14:18
One thing most don't consider is that just because the can isn't available to be opened so that they can clean the stack doesn't mean they cannot clean the can.I agree to one that said that sometimes taking it apart can do more damage than a simple cleaning. Gunk in a can is not good... carbon deposits on the SS or aluminum is not a terrible thing (think FAL piston here). They don't have to be scrubbed clean to the bare metal. Keep in mind that under heavy use... ALL cans will eventually need to be serviced.

A good parts washer filled with Ed's Red (or variant, search here) and a nozzle sprayer is an excellent way to clean a can. Simply drop the can in the parts washer, align the the nozzle to end of a can and work all the gunk out. Then submerge, position the can where the nozzle is in one end and leave overnight powered on. Take out, spray out deposits with nozzle, blow out with compressed air, set upright (cones down) to dry and you are good to go.

My .02 and YMMV...

Skilter

Tuhlmann
January 17, 2014, 14:25
Ah, so you are just trying to be a douche. Good job. Mission accomplished.

No sir, you have easily and undoubtedly beat me at that, too.

riffraff2
January 17, 2014, 21:40
Man O Man,

I admit that I have not read EVERY post in this thread but I want to say this loud and clear so that everyone "gets it"

Little ole me only owns one can, I It is a AWC, yes, get it, AWC can. It is rated for for 9mm(full auto) and is threaded for the MAC 9/11(I am sure other threads cab be had for this exact same supressor. I don't know what to tell you gets that are thinking of getting a "can" but I can tell you this " My AWC(yep read close folks it is an AWC, NOT all the other stuff that is mostly in this thread, can that is truly impressive". I live in an apartment. I have nooooooooo doubt that I could shoot my MAC 11/9 into a bunch of old encyclopedis allllllllllllllll daaaaaay loooooong and they neighbors world hear NOTHING/ZIP/NADA/NOTHING. BY FAR, the loudest noise that is heard when that gun is fireing with that suppressor is the bolt slapping back in forth inside the gun.

Check all this stuff you have heard about in this thread AND THEN check out a AWC can.

I can't speak for all the other supressors out there but I don't think there is ANY suppressor on the market that is as down right/damn right as QUIET as the AWC I have . Read close folks the brand is AWC,AWC Systems Technology, New River , AZ.

Some of you folks here are being propagandized into supressors that are not as quiet as they could/should be.

It is your money, you piss it away as you see fit. I simply recommend a visit to AWC before you piss all that money away.

Artful
January 18, 2014, 19:51
So does it look sort of like this one....awc mk9 suppressor designed by tim blaylock
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/rowdyfisk/383-Copy.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rowdyfisk/media/383-Copy.jpg.html)

If so you choose well - one of the few AWC products worth buying... just don't go looking for good customer service unless your .gov/LEO

kev
January 19, 2014, 10:14
Blaylock? The only Blaylock I know is Dale and his suppressors are/were crap. I think he's been gone for years. My first two suppressors were Blaylock cans. Tim? Maybe Bixler?

Artful
January 19, 2014, 10:36
Maybe it was bixler? - I'm getting too old to retain people's names but the Mk9 is awesome for being 80's tech. AWC isn't innovative anymore and hasn't been for a long time.

Warbirds Custom Guns
January 20, 2014, 20:45
Blaylock? The only Blaylock I know is Dale and his suppressors are/were crap. I think he's been gone for years. My first two suppressors were Blaylock cans. Tim? Maybe Bixler?
Yes Blaylock cans are crap. Always have been.
Tim Bixler never worked for Blaylock.

Maybe it was bixler? - I'm getting too old to retain people's names but the Mk9 is awesome for being 80's tech. AWC isn't innovative anymore and hasn't been for a long time.
Tim Bixler owns his own business called SCRC in Katy, Tx
He still builds them HUGE like the old days.

Tim Bixler, Phil Dater & Lyn McWilliams were the original 3 owners of AWC till the late 80's when Lyn bought out the other 2 & they all went their separate ways.
Phil Dater= Gemtech
Tim Bixler= SCRC
Lyn McWilliams= AWC

Tyris
January 21, 2014, 17:42
Dater was a fool for comparing silencers to automotive mufflers. Perhaps the comparison may have been more apt if his car sent a steady stream of vaporized lead down the pipe.

His initial comment was so wrong that they reversed course and now sell their own user serviceable 22 cans.

To those that think 22 cans are service free: get a gram accurate scale, weigh the can at time or purchase and after every shooting session without cleaning. It will fill over the course of a few bulk packs.

-T

stimpsonjcat
January 21, 2014, 22:54
To those that think 22 cans are service free: get a gram accurate scale, weigh the can at time or purchase and after every shooting session without cleaning. It will fill over the course of a few bulk packs.

-T

That ought to just about end this conversation...at least the logical part.

Here's what a couple thousand rounds of 7.62x25 left in my 308 can...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41190821/gunstuff/dirtycan.jpg

I'd never own a sealed can. But then all of mine cost me about $230...give or take a few dollars.

VonCroy27
June 17, 2014, 23:02
I have an AAC M4-2000 on my M4 and I love it!