View Full Version : New "to me" SC whitetail and hog revolver

August 28, 2013, 09:00
I'm a huge fan of big bore hand guns so I ended up with this 7.5" Super Redhawk recently. It is sporting an old Aimpoint 2000 with a 1" MOA dot that should work well out to 100 yards if I do my part. I plan on hand loading 375 gr and 410 WFN hardcast bullets once I shoot up all my factory ammo.

Timber Wolf
August 28, 2013, 10:44
Uh huh, gonna make me bust out my .480 Super and actually shoot the thing. I won one brand new on a GB auction years ago. Before it got to my FFL buddy he and I attended a bankruptcy auction and I won another one NIB for about the same money (I tend to repeat sometimes). As we had not transferred the first one yet, and I had gotten it so cheap, my FFL just kept it for himself. I bought some kind of a 2X or something scope on closeout somewhere but never mounted it. Then I decided I would rather have a dot so bought the adaptor to convert the Ruger notches to a Weaver rail, but never mounted anything on it. I have several boxes of factory ammo, bought cheap on closeout, and bullets for reloading. I donít hunt anymore so donít really have much reason to own the thing but I just enjoy having the big brusier, just in case I want to shoot it. I have itsí little brother, a .44 Mag Redhawk too that has never killed anything, but at least I have shot it! Good luck with your large bore escapades.

August 28, 2013, 13:30
I'd be the first to say I am a wimp and don't enjoy shooting big bore handguns. It started after I shot a 50 Desert Eagle and it almost cracked the top of my skull open...

Even the 44 mag is not enjoyable, 10mm Glock is where my comfort level ends!:beer:

Timber Wolf
August 29, 2013, 09:26
My FFL bud has lot's of big, brutish revos. Like .454 Casull, .475 Linebaugh, .500 S&W (the "half inch magnum" he calls it) and stuff. Even though I have never shot my .480, I am drawing the line right there. I admire and fondle his big guns but have no desire to shoot them. The .480 I see as a reasonable cartridge in an admittedly large, but still reasonable package.

August 29, 2013, 21:21
A buddy of mine had a special "7.5 inch barrel only" load for his SRH that was powerful, but had much less felt recoil. I think he got it from one of the single-caliber Loadbook reloading manuals. Same load shot well in his .44 Mag T/C Contender, but was "all over the place" if shot from a shorter barreled pistol.