PDA

View Full Version : Colt New Service

Cole123K
August 23, 2013, 13:51
Seen a Colt new service today in 22 wrf. Ive never heard of one or seen one in 22 wrf. Is it rare? Is it worth anything? What do you guys think?

Retired Bum
August 23, 2013, 14:47
Are you sure that the Colt is a New Service and not some other model?

Having said that, there is a saying about Colt and S&W handguns. Never say never.

If it is indeed a New Service, then you would want to give it a very close inspection. Has the barrel been relined and the chambers been sleeved with bushings? Or a replacement barrel and cylinder been fitted? Check the firing pin to see if it has been altered so it will work with rimfire cartriges.

This revolver sounds suspicious to me but then that is just the way I react when something like this pops up.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

D P Six
August 23, 2013, 17:59
I agree with Retired Bum, 'Never say never!' But here are some Colt's that did come in 22; Official Police, Officer Model Target, Officer Model Special, Officer Model Match, Police Positive, Bankers Special, Diamondback, Cobra, Courier. (As per Wilson's 'Book of Colt Firearms')

abbynormal
August 23, 2013, 18:59
3 sinces............

Since the Colt New Service went out of production in 1941
&
Since the WRF cartridge has been obsolete for more years than I know
&
Since Colt was well known to make guns on special order in almost any caliber...

I'd say it's certainly a high probability that's what it is!

D P Six
August 23, 2013, 19:06
If possible post a picture.

Cole123K
August 23, 2013, 19:31
Its at a gun shop thats not to close to my house, next time im in that area I will stop by and check it out again and take some pictures if its still there.

Timber Wolf
August 26, 2013, 07:01
There was a time when rough old New Services in odd calibers (like .455) were not worth much and were good base guns for inventive 'smiths to experiment on. Appearantly Numrich had made and sold aftermarket barrels & cylinders and I have such a rebarreled & re-cylindered .357 Magnum New Service inbound to my FFL as we speak. As near as I can figure from the pictures showing British proof marks on the frame, it must have started life as a .455 and somebody wanted a .357 Magnum instead. And yes, I know the gun was made in an earlier time for a much less intense cartridge but I don't plan on hot-rodding the old girl, just enjoying a little target practice with it. My "N" frame S&W Magnums and Rugers are for the hot stuff. A .22 WRF would certainly be an interesting, if somewhat heavy, revolver. I have original New Services in .45 ACP (1917), .45 Colt, .455 Eley (an early NWMP gun, pretty neat, wish it could talk), .38-40 (a very early gun, wish this one could talk too), 44-40, & .44 Special. Something about the big old Colt DA speaks to me.

Varangian
September 08, 2013, 11:52
Loved the New Service revolvers since picking up an old M1909. Went on to get a M1917 and a couple of commercials in 45 Colt.

A NS in .22 WRF is a bubba job.