PDA

View Full Version : CZ USA rifles

Sijones
August 22, 2013, 15:21
Am admiring the CZ550 FS, specifically the 6.6x55. Also somewhat taken with the same rifle with longer barrel in the Kevlar stock with the aluminum bedding block. Yes, a Jeckyl and Hyde thing. I love the throw back romance of the walnut, hump backed full stock, but also lust after the pure function of the kevlar stocked ultra modern look. Either way I want it in 6.5x55.

Anyone have any experience with CZ USA full stocked or kevlar stocked rifles?

ftierson
August 22, 2013, 17:36
I have a CZ 550 American in 6.5x55mm that I'm very happy with...

But it isn't a FS and doesn't have a plastic stock...

Forrest

LYCAN
August 22, 2013, 18:33
I have a 527 Brush Carbine - 7.62x39

amazing quality & Craftsmanship

But, like the other poster noted, niether FS or Synthetic

But its definately quality in all areas, fit, finish, insanely accurate

Sijones
August 22, 2013, 21:15
Did either of you order rifles on line or were they LGS purchases? The brush carbine looks like a neat gun. I have an old Kimber of Oregon Sporterized M96. Looking for something a bit newer and stronger in 6.5 x 55. My Kimber turns 100 next year, so I stick to US factory mild ammo.

ftierson
August 22, 2013, 23:45
Mine was ordered through Jerry's Sports Center, a distributor to dealers.

Forrest

LYCAN
August 23, 2013, 06:37
Mine was unobtainable for a couple years, as they stopped importing them for whatever reason (and I was only interested in Factory New) - as soon as they started coming back in, I had to go thru a shop I don't care for, as they were the only 'certified dealer' anywhere near me - and as such the only folks who could get one in (at the time)

But that was many many years ago, it shouldn't be hard to find one now

Sijones
August 23, 2013, 07:30
Are there any particular issues with scoping the CZ's? Are the factory rings high? I've come across an image of of a 527 scoped with a 1x4 and the rifle needed a lace on cheek piece for proper fit. Clear that action is very short and complicates scoping. At my age conventional irons don't work for me unless a peep. Any input scoping either rifle?

ftierson
August 23, 2013, 10:25
I have two CZ550 American rifles, one in 6.5x55mm and one in 7x57mm. Both came with the factory high rings. Since I didn't want to dick around looking for some lower rings, I just mounted Nikon Buckmasters 4-12x50mm SF scopes on them (which were a 'prefect' fit). Mounting a scope with a 40mm objective would not have looked good in the high rings.

The CZ 527 (Carbine rifle) in 7.62x39mm that I have was advertised as having no rings, but it actually came with a set of factory high rings. I may put a scope on this carbine eventually, but have no current plans to do so...

Forrest

armoredman
August 23, 2013, 12:37
The carbine does need a high rail to clear the bolt handle - but I cheated and used the Picatinney rail accessory with Weaver low mounts. Clearance for the bolt handle was about two or three millimeters. :D

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/527/527withBushnell.jpg (http://s16.photobucket.com/user/armoredman/media/527/527withBushnell.jpg.html)

I don't use that item any more and might sell it off. :) But it did work well.
My CZ 527M, (now converted to a 527CSR), is one of the best bolt action rifles I've ever owned, bar none.

thunderchicken
August 23, 2013, 17:40
I love the cz550 rifles. I have 6.5x55 FS, 9.3x62 FS, .375 H&H and 416 Rigby. Not a bad thing to say about them.

Sijones
August 23, 2013, 22:39
Headed to the gun show tomorrow in Pasadena to find a CZ. Jonesing really bad!

LYCAN
August 24, 2013, 07:41
Headed to the gun show tomorrow in Pasadena to find a CZ. Jonesing really bad!

Best of luck, hope you find one you really dig' :beer:

Sijones
August 24, 2013, 11:13
Been reading all morning and looking at images of CZ550 with optics. Seeing what mostly looks like high mounts being necessary to scope the rifle. Saw one article where a guy was able to mount a Bushnell 4200 Elite 1x4x24 in medium Warne rings. Still looked kind of high to me. He stated a lot of experince with theCZ550 and mostly needed high rings.

Am an optics nut. Have already decided I want a Minox 1.5x8 to go on the CZ550. This is a one inch tube as opposed to Bushnell at 30 mm. Minox eyepiece is 39.5 mm. Bushie is 41 mm. I always loved Ronald Reagan but hate the metric system. Anybody scoped enough of these rifles to tell me if the Minox is gonna fit with medium rings? A one inch tube and high rings is gonna look like hell. It seems like the narrower tube means lower mounting, or at least potentially lower distance above bore. Any thoughts from guys who have scoped these rifles?

Sijones
August 25, 2013, 10:13
Pasadena gun show was a bust. At least 50 "modern sporting rifles" for every bolt action of any type.

SCCogswell
August 25, 2013, 10:59
I'm sort of a fanatic about low-mounted scopes. Talley makes a set of rings for the 550 that are a bit lower than the factory rings. The problem is bolt handle clearance; with the Talleys it's maybe 1/16 inch, so you can't really go much lower.
The scope (a 1 inch Leupold 3-9x) is a little higher than I'd like, but it doesn't look bad and the comb on the American is correct to allow good cheek weld. The Euro humpback stocks require more of a chin weld: different, but still quite useable.
Don't let perceived issues of scope mounting keep you from enjoying a wonderful rifle. Worst case, you get one of CZ's rear aperture sights.

benchracer
August 25, 2013, 12:49
I have a CZ550 .375 H&H with the "hogback" stock. It wears a 30mm tube 1.5-6x42 Meopta Artemis in Warne QD rings (I can't remember if they are low or medium). There are no clearance issues and the scope mounts low to the bore.

CZ's are fine, underappreciated rifles. Buy one you like in your chambering of choice. You won't regret it.

Also, instead of wasting your time at gunshows, go to the CZ-USA website and locate a dealer in your area. Failing that, find a local gun shop who is friendly enough to order what you want. I ordered my CZ sight unseen with no regrets.

Sijones
August 26, 2013, 17:21
Really appreciate the tip on ordering from Mr. Steele, SD! Really like the look of the FS! Beautiful rifle!

I put the cart ahead of the horse. Ordered the Minox 1.5X8 yesterday from Camera Land NY for $300. $170 cheaper than I have seen anywhere else. Replacing the Vortex Diamondback 4X12 thats been living on my Kimber M96 6.5X55. The "H" dimension is 1.5 MM smaller than the Diamondback. Should be happy with this combination while I make up my mind between the FS and the "American".

ftierson
August 26, 2013, 18:42
Really appreciate the tip on ordering from Mr. Steele, SD! Really like the look of the FS! Beautiful rifle!

I put the cart ahead of the horse. Ordered the Minox 1.5X8 yesterday from Camera Land NY for $300. $170 cheaper than I have seen anywhere else. Replacing the Vortex Diamondback 4X12 thats been living on my Kimber M96 6.5X55. The "H" dimension is 1.5 MM smaller than the Diamondback. Should be happy with this combination while I make up my mind between the FS and the "American".

I agree that it's a very nice rifle.

I am also a big fan of Mannlicher Full Stocked rifles and I like the European drooped butstock.

However, I bought the American because I wanted the longer barrel to wring all I could get out of the 6.5x55mm. And, in the appropriate rifle, that's a lot...

Plus I have a sporterized M94 Carbine to satisfy my FS addiction... :)

Forrest

Sijones
August 26, 2013, 22:44
You guys are giving me a lot to think about! Have heard a lot of good things about the Tikka's. The twist rate and barrel length are both issues performance wise, but man that FS is gorgeous. Anyone tried the Hornady Super Performance load? Can you get the velocity with the short barrel (not to mention the sheer beauty of the rifle ) from the FS by using this load?

ftierson
August 26, 2013, 23:07
If you decide on the standard length rifle, I think I would opt for the Tikka in 6.5x55 over the CZ. It is every bit as well made and I believe more accurate. It will also handle the longer shanked 140-142 grn projectiles as it has a tighter twist than the CZ. If you do get the CZ, Nosler will soon release the .264" Long Range Accubond 129grain .561 BC that will stabilize well in the 9 twist in both the American and Full Stock. http://www.nosler.com/accubond-long-range/

Contact Alex at Euro Optics, Tikka T3 Hunter in 6.5x55 at $650:

Although I do think that the Tikka T3 is a nice rifle, I think that the CZ550 is a better looking one (and this is a very personal thing). Also, I was looking for a nice walnut stock vs a synthetic stock (I already have many plastic stocked rifles).

In addition, while the barrel lengths are close, the CZ550 American at 23.6 inches is a bit longer than the T3 at 22 7/16," and I was looking for all the length that I could get.

My normal loads use the 140gr Sierra BT bullets, and they shoot very accurately out of the 550 at 2750-2800 fps. I've never tried dropping the velocity back to 2500 to see if the 140s would be spun-up enough to be stabilized...

Forrest

Sijones
August 27, 2013, 07:40
Although I do think that the Tikka T3 is a nice rifle, I think that the CZ550 is a better looking one (and this is a very personal thing). Also, I was looking for a nice walnut stock vs a synthetic stock (I already have many plastic stocked rifles).

In addition, while the barrel lengths are close, the CZ550 American at 23.6 inches is a bit longer than the T3 at 22 7/16," and I was looking for all the length that I could get.

My normal loads use the 140gr Sierra BT bullets, and they shoot very accurately out of the 550 at 2750-2800 fps. I've never tried dropping the velocity back to 2500 to see if the 140s would be spun-up enough to be stabilized...

Forrest

The implication being that factory loads at 2500 fps may not be good in the 550?
Is the walnut on the Tikka particularly poor grade? Decisions, decisions!

ftierson
August 27, 2013, 10:27
The implication being that factory loads at 2500 fps may not be good in the 550?
Is the walnut on the Tikka particularly poor grade? Decisions, decisions!

I was assuming that you were thinking of the synthetic stocked T3 and making no other comment about walnut quality.

Obviously, the quicker the twist, the faster the bullet will be spun at the same velocity. My comment about velocity was in response to SD's comment on the twist rate of the T3 being quicker than the CZ550. What I was trying to say is that the CZ550 stabilizes the 140 Sierra just fine at 2700 fps. I've never tried this bullet at 2500 fps out of the CZ550 but, obviously, you won't be spinning the bullet as fast as at 2700 fps. My guess is that the 140 will shoot just fine out of my CZ550 at 2500 fps, but it's just a guess (not based on something I've tried).

Forrest

Sijones
August 27, 2013, 12:09
I am going to have to find a way to get my hands on the various rifles and handle them. As much as I love the look of the full stock models, at the end of the day a really low mounted scope is very important to me. In that vein the 75 degree bolt throw of the Tikka looks like the way to go. At the same time, if its got a walnut stock, I am not sure I could hang with plastic bottom "metal". I'm fine with plastic stocks on fighting rifles, but plastic on a traditional bolt gun kind of sticks in my craw. At the same time, I have never laid eyes on a Tikka in the flesh. :confused:

ftierson
August 27, 2013, 18:21
Probably best to handle before a purchase.

Good luck!

SD

I agree...

Forrest

Sijones
August 28, 2013, 07:28
Thanks for the input from you guys. Haven a line on a Parker Hale in 6.5 Swede. Still looking for that special gun....

benchracer
September 05, 2013, 01:19
I built a 6.5x55 on a Zastava commercial 98 mauser action several years ago. It has a 26" #4 contour Shilen 9 twist barrel. It shoots 140g Berger VLD's (about the longest 140g cup and core bullet made) into tight little groups.

If you are looking to shoot bullets like the 140g Hornady SST, you should have no problems with a 9 twist. I have fired Hornady Superformance loads featuring that bullet side by side with my best handload using the Berger VLD out to 300 yards. My handloads outperformed the Hornady ammo, but by only a very small margin. I was impressed enough that I bought several boxes of the Hornady ammo to keep in reserve for a "just in case" situation.

FYI, when doing load development with the Berger VLD's, I started at a very low powder charge-- just a bit over 42 grains of H4831. I don't remember what the book velocity was with those, but I do know it was SLOOOOOOW. Even at that velocity, the long Berger VLD's stabilized just fine.

benchracer
September 05, 2013, 01:22
One more thing, you are not likely to have scope clearance issues with a CZ550. The little 527, yes. The full size rifles have no such issue.

Sijones
September 05, 2013, 07:07
Still looking for that perfect 6.5 Swede. Stumbled across a Classic M70 Featerweight in 7'08. Used that to satisfy my hording jones until I find what I'm looking for. Really appreciate all the info here. Thank you all.

benchracer
September 06, 2013, 10:27
BTW, and because scope clearance issues with the CZ 527 were mentioned, I stumbled across something that I thought might be of interest. Apparently, CZ has changed the bolt handle on the 527 to allow for better scope clearance. Older CZ 527's can be retrofitted with a part from CZ's online store to address the issue:

http://shop.cz-usa.com/P-40110/Bolt-Handle-527-New-Style.aspx

Walther Rathenau
September 06, 2013, 13:41
I picked up the 527 carbine in a gun store and the bolt racking was gritty, probably not a big issue but just didn't do it for me. maybe it was too new? Anyways that made me look away from them, not neccesarily believing their new stuff is like the cz military stuff.

Sijones
September 06, 2013, 21:27
BTW, and because scope clearance issues with the CZ 527 were mentioned, I stumbled across something that I thought might be of interest. Apparently, CZ has changed the bolt handle on the 527 to allow for better scope clearance. Older CZ 527's can be retrofitted with a part from CZ's online store to address the issue:

http://shop.cz-usa.com/P-40110/Bolt-Handle-527-New-Style.aspx

This is good to know. Thanks!

armoredman
September 10, 2013, 13:02
Selling my Picatinney rail adapter for the 527 rifles.