PDA

View Full Version : Just received my first Mosin Nagant

Guy-epic
August 17, 2013, 22:02
So nothing special but at long last I now have my first Mosin Nagant. That took way to long. It is Russian 1942 I think still working on that. I am pretty sure it is a Izhevsk M91/30 still working on that part. It does have a sniper mark but no signs of a scope ever being mounted which I have read happened a lot. Not sure on the direction I am going with it and I will post pics tomorrow. It is very nice compared to many others I have seen. Any input would be great. I am ready to figure out what to do with it so many directions you can go

12v71
August 17, 2013, 23:29
So nothing special but at long last I now have my first Mosin Nagant. That took way to long. It is Russian 1942 I think still working on that. I am pretty sure it is a Izhevsk M91/30 still working on that part. It does have a sniper mark but no signs of a scope ever being mounted which I have read happened a lot. Not sure on the direction I am going with it and I will post pics tomorrow. It is very nice compared to many others I have seen. Any input would be great. I am ready to figure out what to do with it so many directions you can go

Just shoot it. If you have a decent barrel you will be amazed at how accurate they can be.

Guy-epic
August 18, 2013, 15:06
Just shoot it. If you have a decent barrel you will be amazed at how accurate they can be.

When you say accurate what kind of moa at say 100 yards?

Texgunner
August 18, 2013, 15:23
Many 91/30s will shoot quite high at 100 yards. Some folks use shrink wrap tubing slipped over the front sight post to bring the groups down closer in. Stick the tubing on and trim it where you need it. :smile:
Gary

yellowhand
August 18, 2013, 16:38
Got a couple that enjoy the lite ball vs the heavy stuff.
Enjoy, great rifles.

tac-40
August 18, 2013, 16:41
Many 91/30s will shoot quite high at 100 yards.

I read somewhere that the sights were regulated for having the bayonet attached, which adds weight to the barrel and alters the harmonics causing it to shoot point of aim. Without the bayonet, the point of impact can be as much as 1 foot off at 100 yds.

ByrnieMac
August 18, 2013, 19:51
Congrats!

Mosins are great rifles! And yes! They can be very accurate rifles. I cut my barrel down to 18.5" and I could consistently get a little over 2 MOA with the corrosive milsurp stuff. Once I get it in the new stock, timney trigger, bed the action with glass and pillars, and use some top shelf ammo... I guarantee she can pull 1 MOA.

Now to get an M44:shades:

Guy-epic
August 18, 2013, 20:00
Trying to decide if I will leave it stock looking and just tweak it or go full on archangel with scope and ten round mags

easttex
August 18, 2013, 21:04
With handloads using .311" Sierra Matchkings, my 1938 M91/30 will put 5 shots through a standard size playing card off the bench at 100 yards. That's plenty accurate enough.

12v71
August 19, 2013, 20:49
Well, Im not really one of those MOA guys. But Busting clay pidgies at 100 yards:D works for me. Using the truck for a rest.

ByrnieMac
August 19, 2013, 21:41
Trying to decide if I will leave it stock looking and just tweak it or go full on archangel with scope and ten round mags

You know.. I was dead set on getting the Archangel stock, and detachable mags for this thing is so freakin convenient... but the more I looked at the archangel, the more things began to bug me. The shape of the forearm, being all squared off.. every time I look at a picture it becomes uglier and uglier.

If they come out with a different design... I might revisit the idea. Until then I'm prolly gonna get a Boyd's and bed it

12v71
August 19, 2013, 22:41
One other thing, If I remember right. The rear sight is NOT calibrated for Yards or metres, But some archaic Russian measure of distance. Im Looking for that now.

Buster H
August 20, 2013, 06:52
Arshins

Fiorina
September 04, 2013, 18:19
Good buy Jeramy, I need to get another Mosin. Those things are fun to shoot, cheap and accurate.

September 12, 2013, 08:06
i have a pair of russian m44's in very good condition I plan to sell, what is a recommended selling price?

stitcher
September 12, 2013, 10:42
Congratulations! I have to pick up one of those myself, looked at a few at a show last weekend, but they were all pretty rough. One of the first guns I'd ever shot as a kid, so they've always had an appeal.

GaryH
September 12, 2013, 14:00
http://62x54r.net/

I like mine, wont change it. 1929 Izhevsk ex dragoon

mpnv
September 20, 2013, 16:07

Look in the receiver. If it has plugs, it was an ex-sniper.
What color is yours? I just bought a 1941 Izhevsk. Mine is an orange-brown. I keep hearing about "Russian Red". I wonder if they ever made such a thing.

Guy-epic
September 20, 2013, 16:37
Look in the receiver. If it has plugs, it was an ex-sniper.
What color is yours? I just bought a 1941 Izhevsk. Mine is an orange-brown. I keep hearing about "Russian Red". I wonder if they ever made such a thing.

Nope oranges red no plugs :rolleyes: I wish

mpnv
September 20, 2013, 16:39
When are you going to post the Pict's?

TheRussian
September 21, 2013, 08:48
Big fan of Mosins, have several.
Amazingly accurate if you get a nice one.

12v71
September 21, 2013, 11:35
I just noticed J and G has Chinese Mosins for 99 bucks. Could be fun to play with.

Guy-epic
September 22, 2013, 11:43
When are you going to post the Pict's?

I could try and post a pic today it ain't much but what the heck

GaryH
September 23, 2013, 03:55
A friend drove up and got one from J&G, nice gun. Muzzle blast anc concussion from the shot are crazy. WAY louder that the 91/30

12v71
September 23, 2013, 19:35
A friend drove up and got one from J&G, nice gun. Muzzle blast anc concussion from the shot are crazy. WAY louder that the 91/30
I sort of wondered about that part of those.:biggrin:

tallen702
September 24, 2013, 12:15
I sort of wondered about that part of those.:biggrin:

They're no different than a Russian M44.

I picked one up from Century when they were selling for $79 on sale. Smoother action than a Ruskie but otherwise the same.

12v71
September 24, 2013, 19:15
No. I wondered about the muzzle blast part.:D

tallen702
September 25, 2013, 07:48
No. I wondered about the muzzle blast part.:D

If you really want to have fun with it, grab some new manufacture ammo (S&B works quite well) and take it to an indoor range. I've had mine out at the NRA HQ range. Nothing causes the range to go silent like firing one of those off. :biggrin:

Interestingly enough, my hearing in my right ear is 5% degraded from my left. Some fudd let off a M44 right next to my head years ago when the range was supposedly "cold" and I didn't have my ears in.