PDA

View Full Version : 700SPS Picture posted

PASHOOTER
August 01, 2013, 17:26
Picked up a 700 SPS for a good price a couple week ago has a AAC suppressor mount. I replaced the Hogue stock with a BC M40A style stock. Makes a nice set up.

Anyone have any experience reloading for this rifle. I am using small base dies with Hornady once fired match brass trimmed to 2.005" and they are still tight making the bolt hard to close. And the brass appears to have a primer crimp. I had to use my pocket swagger to get the primers to seat. Never saw this on commercial ammo before.
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k84/LGS_2006/fal005_zps33702c85.jpg (http://s86.photobucket.com/user/LGS_2006/media/fal005_zps33702c85.jpg.html)

Have not had a chance to take it to the range. I will post my results when I do.

MCM
August 02, 2013, 10:18
Post image, would like to see your setup.

MAINER
August 02, 2013, 14:50
You may be trimming your cases to 2.005", but are you setting the case shoulder back enough for your chamber? With my RCBS sizer die and shell holder combo, I have to do a bump over to set the case shoulder back enough to fit a Wilson Case Gage and my rifle's chamber.

Bump over is a term for screwing the Sizer die in until it hits the shell holder in its up position, then lowering the shell holder and screwing the Sizer die in another 1/8th to 1/4 turn and locking the ring. You probly know that , but just in case.

82ndRecon
August 02, 2013, 19:05
I have the 700 ACC model. Should be close to yours. 20" bull barrel that is threaded. One of my favorite rifles.

I too use Hornaday match brass and when I trim, it's down to 2.005. I use Dillion full size dies. I did use the turn down method described above as I use the same set up for my semi's. I've never had a problem with the primer pockets. I use Federal Match primers. I bought my brass brand new or bought new Hornaday ammo to test with that I have since reloaded. Never seen commercial Hornaday brass that had a crimp.

As far as the chambering issue I would make sure that you adjust you die down until you get a perfect fit in your sizing gauge.

hagar
August 02, 2013, 20:56
For best results, use only Winchester commercial or Lapua brass, Varget or RL15 powder, and your favorite 155/168/175 bullet.

ramiller
August 03, 2013, 17:38
2nd the Lapua brass fire and just neck size , will last a long time, Winchester brass is hit or miss lately due to brass being put out on contract, might try some lake city match brass if available

PASHOOTER
August 04, 2013, 12:51
Thanks guys. Sometimes you forget the things you know until someone reminds you. I will give the die a little turn. I will stay with the hornady brass because I have 500 once fired pieces. I plan on loading 168 AMAX and 165 SST for now see how they work. I have always loaded Hornady bullets with good results. I will get some pics posted ASAP.

hagar
August 04, 2013, 19:15
Those 168 Amax's shoot very well in my 308 VS. Very well is actually an understatement. I prefer Hornady to anything else, even Sierra.

PASHOOTER
August 11, 2013, 15:24
Picture posted

dfletcher
August 13, 2013, 23:43
Picked up a 700 SPS for a good price a couple week ago has a AAC suppressor mount. I replaced the Hogue stock with a BC M40A style stock. Makes a nice set up.

Anyone have any experience reloading for this rifle. I am using small base dies with Hornady once fired match brass trimmed to 2.005" and they are still tight making the bolt hard to close. And the brass appears to have a primer crimp. I had to use my pocket swagger to get the primers to seat. Never saw this on commercial ammo before.
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k84/LGS_2006/fal005_zps33702c85.jpg (http://s86.photobucket.com/user/LGS_2006/media/fal005_zps33702c85.jpg.html)

Have not had a chance to take it to the range. I will post my results when I do.

I got one a few weeks back, except with the 16.5" bbl. I added a single chamber AAC brake and an HS Precision stock. "Unglued" the sear adjustment trigger to fiddle with the pull a bit.

I bought some Lake City converted brass, supposedly sized and chamfered, and got lousy accuracy with pretty much everything the 1st time out - 125, 147, 168 grain stuff using H110, IMR 4227 and Blue Dot. I suspect case neck tension was partly to blame and perhaps a less than well formed shoulder.

The 2nd time out I had neck sized the brass and got much better groups - well under 1" and a fair number of "3 shots, one ragged hole" until a sneezed or blinked or looked at the pretty girl two benches down ....

My best groups came with IMR 4227, Blue Dot and 125 and 130 grain bullets. I'm in the middle of loading H110 and Sierra 125 BT MK - very long nose and I seat 2.190" as OAL. Doesn't exceed magazine length, doesn't "kiss" the rifling either.

A fellow on GBroker is selling LC for $60.00 per 300 with the primer pocket swaged and case sized, case mouth chamfered. So far it seems like good brass and is well done.

One issue I ran into is that the small case fills fast, you can compress the load only so much before seating becomes difficult. Something to keep an eye on.

I bought the Hornady New dimension full length set, added an RCBS neck sizer and use that rather than the FL die. The RCBS neck sizer die was a little hard to find and cost a bit more than most. I would have liked to used the Hornady 30 cal short neck sizer, but the case is too short.

I really like plinking away with it. No recoil and a neat little "pop" with the brake on.

MCM
August 14, 2013, 08:50
Picture posted

How do you like your new stock over the Hogue?

dfletcher
August 14, 2013, 21:53
How do you like your new stock over the Hogue?

Much better. Actually, the HS stock was on my Remington 700 VSSF II in 22-250. I bought a B & C adjustable target stock and put it on the 22-250 because it has the higher comb, wider and flat forend and for me is a better choice on that sort of target/bench gun. So I tossed the SPS Hogue and made the switch. The HS is much stiffer, full length aluminum block and the grip area is a bit more filling and vertical. I think it's a great stock for the stumpy, portable little rifle.

MCM
August 16, 2013, 08:17
Thanks for the info; I was thinking of replacing my stock as well.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa34/Killjoy71/2012-12-31_10-01-10_434.jpg (http://s196.photobucket.com/user/Killjoy71/media/2012-12-31_10-01-10_434.jpg.html)

Much better. Actually, the HS stock was on my Remington 700 VSSF II in 22-250. I bought a B & C adjustable target stock and put it on the 22-250 because it has the higher comb, wider and flat forend and for me is a better choice on that sort of target/bench gun. So I tossed the SPS Hogue and made the switch. The HS is much stiffer, full length aluminum block and the grip area is a bit more filling and vertical. I think it's a great stock for the stumpy, portable little rifle.

dfletcher
August 16, 2013, 15:48
^^
My boss also has the same stock on his AAC. It has a bit more flex when firing. Whether my slightly better groups are due to the stock, the adjusted trigger or "operator skill" (that gets my vote :)) who can say.

A brake really isn't needed on the gun, but using one does pretty much eliminate recoil. The issue with "AR 308" brakes is that most have a flat, straight cut on the rear of the device and some are smaller diameter than the barrel. Gives sort of an "added on" look to the device. I didn't want to use a crush washer either.

I found that the AAC single chamber brake has just the right OD to match with the barrel. The outside rear edge of the brake has a finished curl that just covers the outside lead edge of the barrel. Provides a nice finished look to the arrangement. And you can use peel washers to index, they won't be visible.

PASHOOTER
August 20, 2013, 18:59
The B&C stock has a more solid feel then the Hogue. Have not had it to the range since putting on the B&C stock. I will post results when I get a chance.