PDA

View Full Version : 556R Anyone used one?

Old Sarge
July 30, 2013, 17:11
Hi All
I happened by the fun store today and they had a Sig 556R on the rack. Sort of interested in it buy I don't know anything about them. Dealer said that it uses a standard AK mag. They are asking $1200 for it. I was looking for a 556 Classic when I saw this one. Worth it or wait for the classic to show up?

Thanks
Old Sarge

VonFireball
July 30, 2013, 22:14
My dream rifle that I'll likely never have. I'm no expert but here is what I know:

Shoots 7.62x39 and uses any AK mags except drums (magwell is too deep) and US Palm. From what I understand it functions more or less as an AK design wise (gas piston, rotating bolt) but has the more precise manufacturing of SIG, or at least that is one of the selling points.

I know Gabe Suarez is a big believer in the rifle, not that I believe him cause he's Gabe Suarez but the rifle does offer AK reliability with many reports of improved accuracy over standard AK type weapons. It also has two gas adjustments to choose from, normal and dirty, for tough conditions. The safety is placed in more of an AR way for ease of access. Sights are not included, which is BS. Barrel is melonite coated I believe which some claim is superior to chrome lining. I would much rather the 556R model than the standard 556 model, which uses AR mags but probably doesn't have quite the accuracy of a comparably priced direct impingement AR. Since I already have ammo and mags for AK it's a no brainer on my part, you might be in a different situation.

Sijones
July 31, 2013, 00:31
So long as it is a gen 2 rifle, you would likely really enjoy the rifle. Ergos are a little off. It's easy to take the safety off when shouldered but difficult to put back on unless you shift your grip. I put a Manticore pistol grip and a Krebs extended safety on mine. Solved the issue. Mine has been totally reliable with several different brands of steel cased Russian crap. Shoots into 3 to 3.5 MOA. Have used Bugarian steel mags and Tapcos.

The Sig red dot it comes with is suitable only for a .22 plinking session. Has no business on a fine rifle like the 556R.

zombie hunter
July 31, 2013, 01:56
theKGB65 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9cScb83_V0) has a good video about it.

Old Sarge
July 31, 2013, 11:09
So what are you using for sight on them? Anyone using iron or is it just accepted that your goning to use a scope or optic of some sort?

Thanks
Old Sarge

ftierson
July 31, 2013, 12:29
I have a friend here who bought one of the early ones and he had nothing but trouble, reliability-wise, with it, including two trips back to SIG for fixes (including, according to them, polishing the chamber). He finally got rid of it...

That's been my only 'experience' with the 7.62x39mm rifle. I have one of the SIG556 Classic SWAT (whatever that means) rifles in 5.56x45mm that is completely reliable and with which I am very happy.

Forrest

Delta-3
July 31, 2013, 13:48
I have a GEN 2 from August-2012. It has been stellar with anything I feed it. Getting excellent accuracy as well. Easily keeps 1-1/2" -2" groups at 100 yds with GT & better with reloads & lapua ammo. Making solid hits out to 500 yds isn't difficult either. It is my #1 "need it for just about everything" rifle.

So what are you using for sight on them?

I use Midwest Industries AR BUIS on mine & a Leupold VX-R 1.25x-4x illuminated duplex reticle mounted in an American Defense QR mount.

Here's a look.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w44/Delta-3/ed892583-474b-4d64-b206-cc977279393c_zps4a3dd20f.jpg

EonDresari
August 04, 2013, 14:24
I just decided to buy one of these yesterday after watching thekgb65's review of the GenII. Cheapest and most available ammo lately and looks pretty awesome.

Delta-3 that bayonet makes it look even more badass, what is the nomenclature for it so I can try to hunt one down :biggrin:
Also, what kind of sling?

I'm going to start looking for a 556R tomorrow...

marysdad
August 04, 2013, 22:39
The bayonet is a Swiss stgw. 57. Lots of them for sale on eBay very reasonably.

EonDresari
August 04, 2013, 22:58
The bayonet is a Swiss stgw. 57. Lots of them for sale on eBay very reasonably.

Hey thanks! I checked out the link in your signature, lots of great information regarding bayonets on there! Identified some FAL bayonets I was curious about too :cool:

Delta-3
August 05, 2013, 08:58
The sling is an HK "type" I bought from OST.

EonDresari
August 05, 2013, 14:11
The sling is an HK "type" I bought from OST.

Thanks, I'll certainly check one out. Tried to find a 556R at several shops today, no dice. Closest I came to one was a 556 Classic SWAT. Looks like I'll have to try online.

Old Sarge
August 07, 2013, 07:35
Thanks, I'll certainly check one out. Tried to find a 556R at several shops today, no dice. Closest I came to one was a 556 Classic SWAT. Looks like I'll have to try online.

Funny just the next state over, I was looking for a 556 Classic and all I could find was a 556R. Go figure.

Old Sarge

EonDresari
August 07, 2013, 08:29
Funny just the next state over, I was looking for a 556 Classic and all I could find was a 556R. Go figure.

Old Sarge

Yeah, that's something else!

AZ Deuce
August 13, 2013, 18:51
I almost bought one of these a few years back, but a bad magazine review, and some negative web feedback caused me to lose interest. However after reading this thread and how SIG supposidly redesigned/fixed the 556R some time in 2012, now my interest is peaked again.

So the important question:

How do you tell a Post 2012 model from a Pre-2012 version?

Are there any physical visible changes, or perhaps the serial numbe has a different prefix or something? .......I'd like one, but want to know I'm getting the latest and greatest.......NOT a project rifle!

Thanks - AZ

EonDresari
August 13, 2013, 21:42
How do you tell a Post 2012 model from a Pre-2012 version?

Are there any physical visible changes, or perhaps the serial numbe has a different prefix or something? .......I'd like one, but want to know I'm getting the latest and greatest.......NOT a project rifle!

Thanks - AZ

There's a date of manufacture sticker on the retail boxes, but the easiest way to spot a newer, "fixed/improved" version that doesn't have the issues that plagued the first versions:

Look at the rifle stock and fore-end/handguards.

The new ones have the original Swiss style folding but non-collapsing/extending butt stock and the standard Swiss pattern hand guards.

When looking at the internals of the rifle, the fixed versions have metal reinforcement in the front of the magazine well where the magazines attach. (This fixed the issue of not being able to use metal AK mags without damaging the rifle)

This is what all of the current/new/improved stock ones look like. (Pictures are not mine)

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/556r_left-tfb.jpg

Here's what the old (bad) one looks like (the one on top):

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww311/muhrzilla/pair.jpg

Guy-epic
August 13, 2013, 22:25
I see one in my future

ALL FAL
August 13, 2013, 23:07
There is one in the Marketplace right now. :cool:

gunplumber
August 14, 2013, 10:06
A lot of nice features, but the problems they had originally that Sig never remedied, combined with one of the "new" ones falling apart at a shooting course, and I think I'll pass. It's too bad. It could have been a game-changer. Now if Sig offers a free rebuild for all their defective early ones, maybe I'll change my mind.

Walther Rathenau
August 14, 2013, 19:31
I saw one new at a LGS last month and the receiver had a gap you could stick a popsicle stick through and the cast lower was so poor and the stock wobbled. Pass.

Bloodnut
August 17, 2013, 19:04
... combined with one of the "new" ones falling apart at a shooting course,...

Mark, please elaborate on the falling apart. Thanks.

mongoose
August 18, 2013, 00:14
Having owned the Commando variant and sold it, itwas made well enough but was not much more than a glorified AR in all reality.

The 551A1is closer to the 550 but the lower is aluminum and not stamped.

gunplumber
August 18, 2013, 10:34
Mark, please elaborate on the falling apart. Thanks.

Return spring/plate disassembled inside the gun.

Delta-3
August 18, 2013, 14:34
Was the rifle in question a Gen 1 or Gen 2 ?

gunplumber
August 18, 2013, 14:42
Was the rifle in question a Gen 1 or Gen 2 ?

had the nicer stock, so I assume a Gen II.

Sijones
August 19, 2013, 16:40
I had mine out at the range on Saturday. Have done some Ergo type mods to it to include DDLE adaptor with M4 Magpul stock, Manticore pistol grip, Krebs safety and Krebs charging handle. Mounted a Bushnel Elite 1x6.5 in Warne low QD's.

Manually bore sighted it by taking down rifle and eyeballing it. First shot from clean barrel was a keyhole on edge of bullseye! Jaw dropped!

Every shot after through a hundred rounds just chewed the bullseye out of three targets. Basically shooting less than 2 MOA with crap ammo. Very impressed with rifle. Very impressed with the Bushnell. If it locked back on an empty mag, I wouldn't have any complaints at all. Near perfect rifle with the mods I have on it.

The one key hole I am assuming was either a bad round (WPA) or lubricant in bore? No problems at al with the other 99.

Carolina Slim
August 19, 2013, 21:02
Here's what the old (bad) one looks like (the one on top):

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww311/muhrzilla/pair.jpg

Eon, whose folding front BUIS is on the lower 556 that appears to be the standard 5.56NATO model? Troy? Samson? Midwest Industries?

EonDresari
August 20, 2013, 23:56
Eon, whose folding front BUIS is on the lower 556 that appears to be the standard 5.56NATO model? Troy? Samson? Midwest Industries?

They aren't my rifles so I can't say for certain but the only companies making BUIS that fit the 556R (front sight) are Samson and Midwest Industries. They look like the Midwest Industries ones to me.

Sijones
August 21, 2013, 11:32
They aren't my rifles so I can't say for certain but the only companies making BUIS that fit the 556R (front sight) are Samson and Midwest Industries. They look like the Midwest Industries ones to me.

MFI also makes sights for the Sig 556:

http://mfiap.com/c-254821-rifle-accessories-sig-556-551-a1-552-522-all-sig-products.html

jam762
November 03, 2014, 19:36
Just wondering if you used the bayo lug for the Swiss bayo?

It's a old thread but I'm looking for options...

I have a GEN 2 from August-2012. It has been stellar with anything I feed it. Getting excellent accuracy as well. Easily keeps 1-1/2" -2" groups at 100 yds with GT & better with reloads & lapua ammo. Making solid hits out to 500 yds isn't difficult either. It is my #1 "need it for just about everything" rifle.

I use Midwest Industries AR BUIS on mine & a Leupold VX-R 1.25x-4x illuminated duplex reticle mounted in an American Defense QR mount.

Here's a look.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w44/Delta-3/ed892583-474b-4d64-b206-cc977279393c_zps4a3dd20f.jpg

Delta-3
November 04, 2014, 09:28
Yes I did use the bayo lug.