PDA

View Full Version : Want Advice For a Rifle

Bruce Allen
July 25, 2013, 11:38
I am going to get a .22 semi auto rifle for my grand daughter and am considering 3:
Remington 597
Marlin 60
Ruger 10/22

Do you guys have an opinion on which one might be the best choice.

My grand daughter is 13 and large enough to handle a full sized rifle and loves to shoot.

W.E.G.
July 25, 2013, 12:07
None of the above.

Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22 FTW.
The AR-pattern gun has a shorter "throw" from the web of the hand to the tip of the index finger.
The Ruger stock is unfortunately configured for an adult-size hand. I WECSOG'd on one to try to get it down to kid-size, and didn't have much success.
The kids can still shoot the Ruger, but the thumb of their trigger hand will always end up being alongside the pistol grip instead of around it.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/rifle%20pics/Smith%20and%20Wesson%20MP%2015-22/DSCN9880smaller.jpg

If you don't want to spend the couple hundred or so extra over the 10-22, at least be sure to get some good mags for the Ruger.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/rifle%20pics/Ruger%2010-22/DSCN3312.jpg

...and when did folks from western SC start saying "you guys?"

Did y'all let some yankee down there and cause an infection of your dialection?

mutter
July 25, 2013, 12:17
I've owned and or shot all 3 mentioned. The 10/22 is by far the better gun.

nwobhm
July 25, 2013, 13:11
10-22 has aftermarket everything. Now Ruger has the BX25 mags to compliment them.

DYNOMIKE
July 25, 2013, 20:25
Unless one has the desire to own an AR lookalike, or a TACTI-COOL .22 rifle..
Then the 10/22 is the hands down weiner..

Enough aftermarket goodies to fill the back of a pick-up, reliable function, respectable accuracy, good mags, and enough aftermarket goodies to fill a truck.. :wink:

The RUGER BX25 is a good mag, as is the B/C "STEEL" lips mag..

There are a good number of diff 10/22 models so finding one you like should be simple..

Bruce Allen
July 25, 2013, 22:01
Thanks guys.

Gary: I said "you guys", not "youse guys" :biggrin:
Also she is a big kid, and her hands are almost as big as mine. I have already borrowed a 10/22 for her to practice on and she handles it well.
You ought to see her handle my Sig P226!

I was leaning in the direction of the Ruger but wanted to see which one she seemed to like the feel of the best.

She actually liked the Marlin 795 a lot. It was lighter and balanced better than the Ruger and was about 1/2 the price.

Bug Tussell
July 26, 2013, 11:37
Bruce, is that the grand daughter you used to have as your icon picture?

ftierson
July 26, 2013, 12:47
Bruce, I think that any of the three you mention will work fine and I have all three myself.

Having said that, the one that I shoot the most is the Rem. 597. I like the 597 enough to have two in .22LR and one .22WMR.

When I first saw pictures of the 597, my thought was, "Well, Remington, like usual, has produced another ugly dog (especially thinking about the Viper fiasco)." But when I finally saw one in real life and held it in my hot little (well, OK, big) hands, it looked and felt really good. The synthetic stock that looked ugly in photos looked much different before my eyes. And the stock feels really good.

Mags are easy to find (and they work) and the barrel attachment is just as easy as the 10/22.

I have a cheapie Tasco 3-9x32mm scope on one of the .22LR guns and the other I use with the iron sights (which work well).

So, in summary, while I don't think that you can go wrong with any of the three you mentioned, the 597 gets my nod...

However, whichever you get, a hope that your granddaughter (and you) has (have) get fun with it.

Forrest

Tuhlmann
July 26, 2013, 13:01
Marlin now offers a 795 called the "Liberty Training Rifle" with Tech Sights and some other goodies. Get her that and get that girl and yourself to an Appleseed event immediately! You will be very happy you did.

W.E.G.
July 26, 2013, 16:18
Gary: I said "you guys", not "youse guys" :biggrin:

Whew!

Right then.

I was about to run an I.P. search to make sure your account wasn't hacked.

Bruce Allen
July 26, 2013, 23:21
Bruce, is that the grand daughter you used to have as your icon picture?

Yes it is.

Bruce Allen
July 26, 2013, 23:27
http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n552/207blue/553059_496472407062286_209319450_n.jpg

Bruce Allen
July 26, 2013, 23:29
http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n552/207blue/MackenziesTarget.jpg

The center hits are from Mackenzie, using my Sig P226 at about 10 feet.
The rounds in the head are mine.

gates
July 27, 2013, 00:52
Do you see her needing to use an AR-15 down the road? if so I'd get her the Smith M&P (great gun - I like the Colt/Umarex as well) , if not, the 10/22 is my choice - my 12 year old has her own 10/22 shorty and she "bedazzled it" rhinestones everywhere... but she shoots it REALLY well.

Bruce Allen
July 27, 2013, 10:49
Ehhhh.. maybe.

She did watch a video of a girl competing in a 3 gun match and thought it was really neat and said she wanted to try it sometime, but.. she is so involved in school activities like band, marching band (late summer and early fall) and indoor percussion (late fall and wintertime) the only time she has is during the summer before marching band practice begins.. so it depends on her time constraints..

We will see..

homelandprotector
July 27, 2013, 10:55
I'm thinking she needs a 223. :]

catmguy445
July 27, 2013, 16:44
Bruce,

The girl can shoot, that's for sure. I started shooting when I was about her age, and I'm still doing it.

I have to admit to a little bit of prejudice, though. I own 8 Ruger 10/22's in various flavors, so I tend to lean a bit toward the 10/22. From the picture, it certainly doesn't look like it would be too big for her. The 10/22 is a great little rifle for plinking, casual target shooting, and small game hunting, and if she gets interested in doing any serious target shooing somewhere down the road, it's easy, although not exactly inexpensive, to make the 10/22 into a serious target rifle. I'd also recommend the Marlin 795 as a starter gun.

I don't think I'd start her off on an AR-15 lookalike quite yet. Although the S&W's are good training rifles, they do have a fairly horrible trigger pull which I've heard isn't east to correct. Besides, if you can shoot a 10/22 accurately, you can shoot an AR-15 accurately. Basic marksmanship techniques work on any rifle, so I'd start her off with a .22 LR of some kind. They're less expensive to feed, and less noisy than their centerfire cousins. Just my two cents' worth, so feel free to take it or leave it as you see fit.

Bruce Allen
July 27, 2013, 20:41
"Basic marksmanship techniques work on any rifle, so I'd start her off with a .22 LR of some kind. They're less expensive to feed, and less noisy than their centerfire cousins. "

Yep.

I agree.
Early in my life (21) I was an Army Drill Instructor and later on in life (34) I became a certified police firearms instructor so I can state with authority your post is spot on.

gates
July 27, 2013, 23:00
I'd just buy her a good m-4gery and a good set of muffs:-) she looks like she can handle a "big boy" rifle and if you think that's where she will end up then why buy 2 guns? if ammo price is the concern I'd ignore that for the near future - .22 is going for what 5.56 was going for 12 months ago - might as well shoot the real thing if you're spending .50-.60 per round either way...

ftierson
July 27, 2013, 23:08
I'd just buy her a good m-4gery and a good set of muffs:-) she looks like she can handle a "big boy" rifle and if you think that's where she will end up then why buy 2 guns?

Is this a serious question?

Eh...?

:)

Forrest

gates
July 27, 2013, 23:22
Just trying to be fiscally responsible in these uncertain economic times:-) I of course have multiples of everything we talk about - "do as I say, not as I do":-)

ftierson
July 27, 2013, 23:42
Just trying to be fiscally responsible in these uncertain economic times:-) I of course have multiples of everything we talk about - "do as I say, not as I do":-)

When the dollar is worthless (a little joke, already), guns will still hold their value...

Until they come to take them from you, of course, but I'm sure that goes without saying...

Then again, they still may have some value... :)

Forrest

DK
July 28, 2013, 20:01
I'm with Gary on this one; my kids love the M&P 15-22. They pass over the 10-22 and the other assorted .22 rifles when we go out.

DK

tigerfans2
July 29, 2013, 16:59
While partial to the 572BDL, the 552BDL is nice too.

Bruce Allen
August 03, 2013, 21:33
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/images/photo_795SS.jpg

I like the looks of this rifle and found there are 25, 50, and 75 round magazines for it manufactured by Promag:

http://www.tacticalvantage.com/en/100-marlin-795-magazines