PDA

View Full Version : Son's new deer rifle

tac-40
July 23, 2013, 17:43
For Christmas last year I got my son a new deer rifle. Since he runs hot and cold when it comes to shooting I didn't want to spend a lot of money. So after looking around I decided on the Mossberg ATR in .308. Walked out of the store with a new rifle for just under $300 before taxes. He had problems sighting it in using an old scope I had on it. Just found a Nikon 3x9x50 BDC Prostaff on sale and got it. Finished sighting in the rifle today and was really impressed.

It didn't like the mil-surp 147 gr I used to get it on paper, shooting 3-4 MOA. Switched over to some 168 HPBT match loads I had and things started looking better. After making sure I was close to center and letting her cool down a bit, I ran 3 rounds of Hornady 168 gr TAP through it. The flyer was called because I kept wanting to put the crosshairs on the first two hit and had to fight that urge for the third shot. As you can see I was very impressed with the results.

It isn't a tack driving sniper's rifle, but for deer and other 4 legged varmits, it will get the job done. Plus, I won't be worrying about him dragging it through the brush and scratching it up. So for around $500, he now has a very capable and utilitarian hunting rifle that can be used for most anything in the lower 48. Oh yeah, the pic of the rifle is a stock Mossberg photo from CTD's website.

http://cdn1.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/bgprod/79816.jpg

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc266/tac-40/mossy007.jpg (http://s212.photobucket.com/user/tac-40/media/mossy007.jpg.html)

82ndRecon
July 23, 2013, 19:06
Nice looking rifle and nice group.

I've never owned a Mossberg but all that I've ever heard about them was that they are very solid. I think you did great for the money.

Hope your boy bags lots of game with it.

Look forward to seeing you at the next Military rifle match in Charlotte.

Take care.

meltblown
July 23, 2013, 19:18
Great rifle for your son. Not sure how old he is. I still have the 1st one my dad bought for me when I was around 13. It was a model 94 Winchester. Haven't shot it in 30 or so years.

tac-40
July 23, 2013, 20:29
I guess I should have added that the target was at 100 yds and the rifle was benched and sandbagged during the sight in. 1 MOA for a discount rifle and commercial ammo is pretty damn good if I do say so myself.

Yeah, I really like it. My son is not a kid anymore and just finished a Paramedic Program and his National certification as a paramedic. Landed a job with the local county EMS. He is loving life and his new job. He needed something he wouldn't be afraid of taking into the woods and banging it around and since the regular paychecks just started coming in, I bought him the rifle.

I did a lot of research before buying this one, and was actually looking for a Savage at the time. But the price and positive reviews sold me. Plus Mossberg has a great reputation of building strong, reliable shotguns so I had no problem there either.

I really like the Lightning Trigger. It is fully adjustable and is similar in function to the Savage Accu-Trigger. His trigger comes in a hair under 4 pounds and is crisp, with no creep or gritty feeling. There is no over travel at all. The plastic stock is on par with the Ram-Line stocks but handles and balances well. It came with the medium contour fluted 22" barrel. Opted for this one because the lighter barrels had issues with vertical stringing as they got hot. Didn't notice this while shooting but then I only put 5-8 rounds through it at a time before a good cooldown to just warm to the touch. The crown is similar to a match crown and is recessed about a sixteenth of an inch. It also came with weaver scope mounts already installed - all I needed was a scope and rings.

The only thing I don't like about the rifle is the magazine. It is a blind type and the follower is NOT anti-tilt. You have to be careful when loading to make sure the rounds go in properly. Otherwise you get feeding issues. Not a big problem, but you do have to watch what you are doing when loading or topping off.

It is on the light side, so the felt recoil is a bit stout. But the 1 inch recoil pad helps a lot. The stock's cheek piece is shaped to prevent stock slap. It also puts your eye right where it needs to be to look down the scope.

ByrnieMac
July 23, 2013, 22:54
Nice! Finally I hear about someone else with an ATR on here! Mine is chambered in .270, but even still.. great choice. Mine is a very solid rifle and a great shooter.

Hope he enjoys it!

mutter
July 24, 2013, 07:16
I did a lot of research before buying this one, and was actually looking for a Savage at the time.

You bought a Savage. You just paid a lot less.

tac-40
July 24, 2013, 11:45
You bought a Savage. You just paid a lot less.

While it may have copied some of the Savage ideas, it is not a Savage. The barrel sleeve is of a different design and does not facilitate easy removal of the barrel like the Savage. Mossberg’s LBA (Lightning Bolt Action) trigger, standard on all 100ATRs and the upscale 4×4, has a blade that looks much like that on the Savage trigger. Internally, the two differ. While both block the sear to prevent moving, they do so with different mechanisms. The LBA is easily adjusted using a screwdriver while the Savage requires a special tool.

By saying that I bought a Savage in different clothing is like saying the Galil is just an upscale AK or the Dawoo is just a piston driven AR. They may have taken ideas from other guns, but they are uniquely different. All of them followed the philosophy of - if it works, use it.

HankC
July 24, 2013, 18:19
At one time Mossberg ATR had issue, or rumor, with bolt separation due to missing silver brazing or something like that. Is that being addressed with a different design or still something to be concerned?
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2630486/1

tac-40
July 24, 2013, 21:22
Hank, that review was from 2008. All of the reviews that I saw did not say anything about this problem, so maybe their QC has improved. Just don't know.

I read all of the links in from your post and most of what they say happened will not happen to this rifle. The soldered joint is the only one I cannot verify and I am not going to cut the bolt apart just to see. But from what I can see, even if the soldered joint failed the secondary lug on the bolt handle would keep it from moving backward into the shooter's face. The bolt head is one piece with the lugs as part of the head. The head is pinned to the bolt body by a substantial pin approx a 1/4 inch in diameter. The lugs would remain in the receiver recesses if the pin should break. When the cartridge is being moved into the chamber, it is pushed by the front bolt gas shroud/ring and the extractor. So any failure at this point would not allow the firing pin to come into contact with the primer. Only when the bolt is being rotated closed does the cartridge rim slip past the extractor lip and ride against the bolt face. I just don't see any of the catastrophic failures described in your links happening on this rifle design. I can say that I got the feeling that most of the posters in your links were decidely anti-Mossberg based solely upon the tone of their posts.

I do know that every rifle has had some issues during its life. The Remington 700 safety bolt breakage issues are a couple of the well known ones. But that has not stopped Remington from making them and buyers getting them.

I do know that my son's rifle has had over 100 rounds through it so far and it has not had a hiccup.

Artful
July 24, 2013, 22:36
Nice group.

Well, you've taken away any excuse for a missed shot caused by the rifle.

Hope he appreciates the new toy, most of my generation started out with Military Surplus and open sights. :D

:beer:

tac-40
July 25, 2013, 09:55
most of my generation started out with Military Surplus and open sights

He did too. He really liked the M1 Carbine when he was small. Perfect size for him. He graduated to the Garand and Springfield and wasn't shy about asking for more ammo.:D. This is his first dedicated scoped rifle.

littlehoot
August 13, 2013, 22:52
I guess I should have added that the target was at 100 yds and the rifle was benched and sandbagged during the sight in. 1 MOA for a discount rifle and commercial ammo is pretty damn good if I do say so myself.

i have a savage in 270 win from the pre-accutrigger days, back when the "package" gun with scope was around $300. paid less than that second hand. it became a sub moa gun once it was broken in (the guy before me had maybe 40 rounds through it). ammo selection makes a big difference...

Bertellione
September 12, 2013, 01:02
While it may have copied some of the Savage ideas, it is not a Savage. The barrel sleeve is of a different design and does not facilitate easy removal of the barrel like the Savage. Mossberg’s LBA (Lightning Bolt Action) trigger, standard on all 100ATRs and the upscale 4×4, has a blade that looks much like that on the Savage trigger. Internally, the two differ. While both block the sear to prevent moving, they do so with different mechanisms. The LBA is easily adjusted using a screwdriver while the Savage requires a special tool.

By saying that I bought a Savage in different clothing is like saying the Galil is just an upscale AK or the Dawoo is just a piston driven AR. They may have taken ideas from other guns, but they are uniquely different. All of them followed the philosophy of - if it works, use it.

Actually the galil is an ak. The first galil rifles were built on valmet receivers wich is a milled ak receiver.