PDA

View Full Version : Hi power question

spider991
July 22, 2013, 18:51
Guys,

Someone educate me on the BHP please...i have always wanted one but due to some rcent events, the FEG is about the only one i can afford. I read there are two types and one supposedly uses the bhp mags and interchangable parts with the original. One not so much. The one im looking at is for sale on GB is FEG 9mm isreali 1998 BHP ser# G26,000 range supposedly. Model is P9R...any help guys?:confused:

def90
July 22, 2013, 19:22
This is the ultimate resource on FEGs.. it used to be a blog post but has been converted to an E-Book available for $.99..

http://feghp.blogspot.com/

Essentially earlier FEGs were HiPower clones, same design and so on, later ones look like HiPowers bt are built completely different.

The early ones will have the same Oval cross pin above the trigger housing on the right side as a HiPower.

http://www.oysterquartz.net/FEG/004.jpg

paulb2112
July 22, 2013, 20:26
This is the ultimate resource on FEGs.. it used to be a blog post but has been converted to an E-Book available for $.99..

http://feghp.blogspot.com/

Essentially earlier FEGs were HiPower clones, same design and so on, later ones look like HiPowers bt are built completely different.

The early ones will have the same Oval cross pin above the trigger housing on the right side as a HiPower.

http://www.oysterquartz.net/FEG/004.jpg

That is easiest way to tell at a glance. I believe the feg barrel is better for target shooting. The newer units have completely different recoil and trigger groups.
I use mecgar mags in both without an issue.

spider991
July 22, 2013, 23:36
ahhh, well that helps a ton...the ones i'm looking at have no oval, damn..guess I will wait for one that does. shame cause they had 2 on GB for bout 365.00, right in my price range. thanks guys for the great intel.

def90
July 22, 2013, 23:38
ahhh, well that helps a ton...the ones i'm looking at have no oval, damn..

The pin does not always show up well especially in photos. If you have a painted finish you might not be able to see it at all.

JeffHam
July 23, 2013, 00:29
The PJK9HP is the FEG clone of the GP35 (Or at least the one that I know of that's interchangable with the High Power)

The other ones are clones (internally) of S&W 39/59 series autos, but resemble the BHP externally.

I love my PJK9HP. Runs as good or better than my old man's BHP (assembled in Portugal).

bill3542
July 23, 2013, 06:32
i have one of the early PJK-9HP models and it is a Browning HP clone. fit and finish are excellent with deep bluing and a 3 dot sight setup. i put the Pachmyer Signature HP grips on mine... what a difference and i use KRD 15 rd South American HP military contract mags with no issues.

I do armed security at a small regional airport and this is my duty weapon. the younger guys tease me and i am called ( old school ).:biggrin:

price back in the day new...around 250 bucks. i wish i had bought 2 of them.

ftierson
July 23, 2013, 10:03
The FEG P9R is a SA/DA redesign of the BHP and, thus, most parts don't interchange between them, including the magazines...

Having said that and having both a BHP and a FEG P9R, I really like the P9R (except for the crappy trigger, of course, but I'm sure that goes without saying)...

Forrest

Grahamneall
July 23, 2013, 11:35
I believe the standard mag for a FEG-P9R is a 15 round and is not the same a a BHP mag.

Friend had one and had a helluva time trying to find extra 9PR mags.

Blackmore
July 23, 2013, 15:45
I had a P9M which was a true HP copy with a "G" S/N prefix. There are later P9M marked ones that are next generation which have the S&W barrel lockup. Mine had the true HP crossbar oval.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/FEG_P9M_004.jpg

Here's the box end. The "P9M" and import mark were on the bottom of the dustcover.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/082910_FEG_001.jpg

spider991
July 23, 2013, 20:41
Judas priest did I open a can of worms when I started looking into these,lol. Darn near as much to learn about these as the FALs. Gonna hit the locals gunshops tomorrow and see if I can put my grubby mitts on one for a close look-see......

Mark IV
July 24, 2013, 01:23
Here ya go. This a FEG copy of an FN Hi power, down the rollmarks on the slide. The L prefix in the serial # denotes FEG, as does a B prefix. I have one of these and it shoots quite well, and does have the crossbolt.

I've bought 4 HPs from CDI. Gary Cole sells good stuff at reasonable prices with accurate descriptions.

For $300, you can't go wrong. You shouldn't pay more than that for a FEG anyway.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=355692846

def90
July 24, 2013, 10:25
Judas priest did I open a can of worms when I started looking into these,lol. Darn near as much to learn about these as the FALs. Gonna hit the locals gunshops tomorrow and see if I can put my grubby mitts on one for a close look-see......

If you haven't already.. be sure to check out the ebook I linked to. It has everything you ever need to know about these guns. I wish it was still up as a free blog post though.

spider991
July 24, 2013, 18:36
I gotta vent.....i found a FN High power, used today...not a clone, but a fn....i ot what i consider a pretty good deal on it, couple hundred more than a feg. So i go to the range giggling like a school girl with my new(used) hp and gt a lane to shoot. Win white box 9mm 115g typical stuff. Gun jams after first three shots, ok, no prolem......gun james again after a few more shots, not bad, pretty accurate, a little low and left but not much. HERE we go.....range officer comes over and said i cant shoot reloads...i says im not and he shows me a piece of bass with the primer backed out, bad...hmmmm. Ok, few more shots, same thing, all the primers are backing out, some completely out and jamming me. So i open the gun and see the breech face loos like it had been burrowed out, man im screwed. Range officer looked at it and said he had never seen anything like that...me either.....ok gurus, what the hell happened...pics will be loaded soon as i get home to my comp, sent them by my cell.......im really bummed!:sad:

spider991
July 24, 2013, 18:58
ok here are the pics if I can get them to open..
this was my new baby
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k484/willmiami/e8059939-8233-4b06-99a5-e47a4ad12b12.jpg?t=1374709962
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k484/willmiami/fdb9d705-0a3e-4898-9609-b4265621852f.jpg?t=1374709797
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k484/willmiami/fn3.jpg

here is the brass and the breech face after
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k484/willmiami/fn5.jpg

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k484/willmiami/fn4.jpg

what says the rogue's gallery? win white box and fed white box before any one asks

sorry cant figure out how to make the pictures on the screen w/o the links

DYNOMIKE
July 24, 2013, 19:14
Not to salt the wound but man the face of that slide looks terrible..
Inspection is your FRIEND...

I would see if the seller would take that one back.. While we don't ususally do returns we will send a gun out for repair w/in 30 days..
Prob with that one is the repair is prob a new slide and not worth it..
"May" be another option but I don't know what it would be?

If someone brought that gun into the store and asked us to buy, I would have passed on it..

spider991
July 24, 2013, 19:43
Ya the finish was crappy, looks like a worn off park job but if it shot nice i could work with that...just wanted a good, reliable accurate shooter...oh, and i took it right back and they gave me a full refund...just bummed cause i thought i got a nice fn and im pretty sure the face of the breech didn't look like that when I got it, 4 people looked at it, the guys even field stripped it before I shot it to show me how to strip the hi power due to it being new to me.

def90
July 24, 2013, 20:15
.just bummed cause i thought i got a nice fn and im pretty sure the face of the breech didn't look like that when I got it,

Simply shooting it once could not have done that.. It was that way when you got it.

spider991
July 24, 2013, 20:40
Def you have to be right, it was just weird all of us missed that.....even during field stripping. One of the smiths said he has seen one dremeled that way when some tool complained of light primer strikes....who knows,my first bhp did not go well, but i am on the lookout for another:wink:

spider991
July 25, 2013, 08:22
The ones Cole has for 459.95 on GB, those a decent shooter and good starter FN BHP?

spider991
July 25, 2013, 08:46
Never mind screw it...just ordered a nice FN from GCI.........will post pics when it gets here...wooohooo now I'm fired up

lostmybearing
July 26, 2013, 09:38
I'll bet you'll be very happy with it. I have also bought , like Mark IV , 4 hi powers from Mr. Cole this year! :D

The one thing I would like to know is , how does he get away with not putting import marks anywhere on the Hi Powers that he sells?

spider991
July 26, 2013, 12:41
Shipped today, very excited! Will throw a pic when it arrives

catmguy445
July 26, 2013, 18:12
I'm pretty sure that you'll love it. Of all the non-1911 pistols that I own, my two (one Belgian, one Argentine) Hi Powers are my favorite semi-autos.

Mark IV
July 27, 2013, 13:30
The one thing I would like to know is , how does he get away with not putting import marks anywhere on the Hi Powers that he sells?

I wondered that too, but I'm glad he doesn't. I can't find an import mark externally or internally ... not that I'm complaining mind ya.

lostmybearing
July 27, 2013, 15:42
I've been watching Gary's auctions for a while now. The CZ 83's that he sells also did not have import marks . In the last 2 months, I have noticed "Cole Dist. KY" stamped on the left side of the slides. I hope that does not start to happen with the Hi Powers!
Honestly , that's exactly why I have bought more of them than I could really afford lately.:eek:

I still need a good Mk2 without smashed up sights etc.

[486]
December 12, 2013, 22:45
ok here are the pics if I can get them to open..
this was my new baby
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k484/willmiami/e8059939-8233-4b06-99a5-e47a4ad12b12.jpg?t=1374709962
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k484/willmiami/fdb9d705-0a3e-4898-9609-b4265621852f.jpg?t=1374709797
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k484/willmiami/fn3.jpg

here is the brass and the breech face after
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k484/willmiami/fn5.jpg

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k484/willmiami/fn4.jpg

what says the rogue's gallery? win white box and fed white box before any one asks

sorry cant figure out how to make the pictures on the screen w/o the links

Bit late but I heard tell of some BHPs being imported as deactivated, and the only thing was that the firing pin hole was welded over. Supposedly the welds were shitty enough on some that you could punch them out from the rear. Could see this being from that.

kev
December 13, 2013, 00:41
That's definitely the case with that breech face. Somebody tried to salvage the slide and did a piss-poor job of it. Years ago I had a bunch of Israeli training pistols welded up like that and painted red. Could pick them up for a hundred apiece. The slides were generally salvageable but you really had to watch the frames. Some were so beat that the locking shoulders were falling out and a few even had drill rod replacing the shoulder and tack welded into place.

spider991
December 13, 2013, 11:03
Gun shop took it back, said they had a guy who fixes this and i think it was re-sold...not sure

Im stull super impressed with the bhp i got from coles...so much so i am wanting to order another..different flavor, maybe with a spur hammer and lanyard ring.:)

randyj
December 13, 2013, 20:30
if you can find a mauser SA80you wont regret it, great finish and runs like a 68 hi-power. I use 15rnd mec-ar mags witth out a bobble.
put a detective slide and barrel assy on it and it carries better than a commander

randy

spider991
December 28, 2013, 21:19
Did cdi coles go out of business? I cant seem to find any of his stuff on gun broker..was looking for another hp,different flavor like one with a lanyard ring and a commander hammer,lol.

lostmybearing
December 28, 2013, 22:47
Try this:
http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Sort=1&IncludeSellers=2621012

:)

spider991
December 29, 2013, 23:05
Is that the one that looks like a commander hammer? If so, nope, ive only shot the regular spur type....and thanks LMB , used the link

Sagerider
December 30, 2013, 02:34
Unless you have the hands of a slightly built 14 year old that round hammer will bite, a few mags down range and it starts to hurt. Stay with the spur type and you will be happy. Glad to hear you got your money back on the POS.
Looking at the one on Gun Broker it looks like someone found it in the sand of a French beach. A new Mark III can be had for $900.00 out the door so save your money and get a good used or a new one. Save up and get something that you will be able to rely on and be proud to own.
My 2 cents.

Arby
December 30, 2013, 11:25
I've got medium sized hands, owned an HP with a rowel hammer for over 40 years, and never had the hammer bite my hand. I prefer the rounded hammer over the spur hammer on the HP. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Nomad, 2nd
December 30, 2013, 12:19
Unless you have the hands of a slightly built 14 year old that round hammer will bite, a few mags down range and it starts to hurt. Stay with the spur type and you will be happy. Glad to hear you got your money back on the POS.
Looking at the one on Gun Broker it looks like someone found it in the sand of a French beach. A new Mark III can be had for $900.00 out the door so save your money and get a good used or a new one. Save up and get something that you will be able to rely on and be proud to own.
My 2 cents.

I'm 6-6"1', just over 200, and I RARELY get bit with the round hammer.

spider991
December 30, 2013, 16:19
hmmm, i've shot commanders and no hammer bite yet, but I have heard of it..i have pretty good size hands, I better see and check one out before I go any further..thanks a lot all

Rudolf
December 30, 2013, 16:27
Happy FEG HP owner, no issues. I also installed some Crimson Trace LaserGrips with no issues.

Sagerider
December 30, 2013, 17:23
An FEG I had with a round hammer did not pinch the web of my hand but the hammer would hit it when the slide cycled. After a few rounds it began to hurt :cry:, not fun anymore. So I changed out the round hammer for the spur type and no more issues. Funny how a little fella like me with average paws has a problem while others do not? Traded the FEG off for what I can't remember now.

Sagerider
December 31, 2013, 00:35
This thread really belongs in the FN section but what the hey.
This thread put me over the top today after much thought.
I have been wanting another 9mm and gave the CZ75 every consideration as well as other Wonder Nines but after the in hand test found them all wanting.
The boys and I went to town today and picked up the new pride and joy. :)
No, it was not inexpensive but I have a quality pistol that will serve faithfully for years to come.
"Heed not a man that does not follow his own counsel." (Says I) ;)

Timber Wolf
December 31, 2013, 10:11
This thread really belongs in the FN section but what the hey.
This thread put me over the top today after much thought.
I have been wanting another 9mm and gave the CZ75 every consideration as well as other Wonder Nines but after the in hand test found them all wanting.
The boys and I went to town today and picked up the new pride and joy. :)
No, it was not inexpensive but I have a quality pistol that will serve faithfully for years to come.
"Heed not a man that does not follow his own counsel." (Says I) ;)

Good looking piece, but ya' got some plastic dingus thing on the bottom of your magazine!:uhoh:

Sagerider
December 31, 2013, 14:53
Yeah, the plastic is a mag cap of 10 rounds for Canicornholeya compliance. This is just the way they come from Browning unfortunately. Not to worry though, got some 15 rounders from MecGar. :)
The FEG clone from Hungary is a fine pistol from my experience but there is nothing like having the real thing. Call me snooty but a Browning, Belgium made Hi Power is what I wanted with adjustable sights I can see with my old eyes. I also like the extended safety on the newer pistols. :)

spider991
January 01, 2014, 19:59
Dammit, now i want one of the real nice ones....thanks alot sage, you just cost me more money:uhoh::tongue:

Sagerider
January 02, 2014, 21:30
There are many out there in the used department, just keep checking your local gun shows. I have seen some in the 6/7 hundred dollar range that have seen the inside of a safe more than the range. I got a new one at $1,029.99, ouch, about the same as a high end 1911. The triggers are bit rough on HPs regardless if the are the FEG clones or the real deal but by removing the magazine safety this improves it and also allows the magazines to drop free when you push the magazine release. The magazine safety is a European deal that will not allow the pistol to fire without the magazine in place, why who knows.
You will thank me later, just be patent and wait for that special one with your name on it. :)

STGThndr
January 30, 2014, 11:12
Been shooting Browning Belgian High Powers for decades, military and civilian types. The adjustable sight civilians are some of the best pistols in the world- at least prior to the "Assembled in Portugal" models with which I have no experience. The FEGs Ive handled were not as nicely finished and featured unpleasantly sharp edges on the slides. I had considered buying one BITD "just cuz" but opted for a well-used Chinese Inglis instead.
One of my favorite personal carries is my mid-70's fixed-sight BHP. The original safety catch is both sharp and too small but easily replaced with a larger, smoother ambi-switch. Ditto on the mag safety- removal will smooth up the trigger immensely. This pistol is right on target with 125gr jacketed bullets and not bad with lead, and eats my handloads too. The BHP in general has been thru the mill and tested in some of the world's worst wars and climates. This coming from a guy who feels that the 1911 hasnt been improved "much" since 1926... Price-wise, Browning thinks a lot of their pistols, even the assembled elsewhere models. A clean, checked-out used one would appeal to me at this stage over a new-in-box.