PDA

View Full Version : AR-100/ DR100 rifles Availability?

Dlagrua
July 19, 2013, 08:19
Way back when it was legal to import, thousands of the Daewoo AR-100 semi-automatic rifles were imported to the USA. After the assault weapons ban, the model was refitted with a thumbhole stock and the flash hider replaced with a solid barrel extension. The new model was called the DR-100 and it seemed to meet all of the import guidelines for "sporting purposes" After about a few months of importing this new politically correct configuration, all imports of Daewoo rifles stopped completely. My theory is that the Whitehouse put a stop to the import of this rifle, by threatening to withdraw some foreign aid to S. Korea. Is this the story as to why we no longer see Daewoo rifles being imported? Anyone know the real story.
The Daewoo was a fine rifle and its sad that it is now gone.

vandal968
July 20, 2013, 00:48
I know that S. Korea came up with their own rule forbidding them to export rifles, and it wouldn't surprise me if this rule was tied to continuing US aid. What I can tell you is that I've finished reverse-engineering the K2 and if a draconian ban infringes upon our right that "shall not be infringed", I'll publish the engineering data for every last little part so that anyone that wants to scratch-build one will have all the information that they need.

cheers,
v

Dlagrua
July 20, 2013, 16:28
I know that S. Korea came up with their own rule forbidding them to export rifles, and it wouldn't surprise me if this rule was tied to continuing US aid. What I can tell you is that I've finished reverse-engineering the K2 and if a draconian ban infringes upon our right that "shall not be infringed", I'll publish the engineering data for every last little part so that anyone that wants to scratch-build one will have all the information that they need.

cheers,
v

Yeah something had to happen to cut off the supply of Daewoo rifles cold. Uncle Sam (BATFE) must have been behind this as they were when they cut off the supply of all Norinco Rifles. Even those with full and thumbhole stocks were banned!!! . If draconian bans are ever put in place, I agree we should start building our own rifles. With todays CAD and CAM equipment all you need are the files, a block of forged aluminum and an availability of a CAM milling machine. This has already started in CA where honest citizens are building AR-15 receivers and will spread to other states where left wing politicians want to gut the constitutions and take our citizens guns away.
"From my cold dead hands"

lawdog
July 23, 2013, 11:09
The "something" that happened first was named George Herbert Walker Bush, second it was named William Jefferson Klinton.

There is tale that back in the day, the pre-89 dealer price was below $500 for folding stock Daewoos.

ftierson
July 23, 2013, 18:22
The "something" that happened first was named George Herbert Walker Bush, second it was named William Jefferson Klinton.

There is tale that back in the day, the pre-89 dealer price was below $500 for folding stock Daewoos.

I bought my K2 in 1987 from PIMC.

The price (dealer) was $319.95...

Just sayin'...

Forrest

Dlagrua
July 26, 2013, 21:35

Just sayin'...

Forrest

When we were selling Daewoo rifles you could buy them wholesale for around $300 and they came with a folding stock, bayonet lug and flash hider. They were banned from import as they didn't meet BATFE "sporting rifle" criteria. Next the rifles were imported with a blank (pseudo) flash hider and a fixed thumbhole stock. I have no idea why those were put off the market but all thumbhole AKs also went away around the same time. The Daewoo was a very good well made rifle that sold at a competitive price. It was made to Korean Mil Specs which made the rifles reliable and quite durable.

vegetius
August 03, 2013, 14:45
Bought a K2 for $450 pre-ban ...

Sold it later like the fool on the hill for about $1100.00

Just bought a DR 100 with restored pistol grip and folder for $1100 ...

Only problem is 1:12 barrel ... will likely spend $500 to retro fit a 1:7 AR Chrome Lined barrel to my Woo

Our mistakes haunt us ... but Woo is worth it ...

M62/M76
August 04, 2013, 10:26
My K2 is ROK Solid!

ratas calientes
August 05, 2013, 11:11

Just sayin'...

Forrest
I don't like you any more. :p