PDA

View Full Version : Value of Ross Carter Combat Commander

Sijones
July 13, 2013, 14:53
Am considering the sale of a Colts Combat Commander that was built for me by Ross Carter in the early 1990's (before his accident). Stainless frame with blued Colts slide. Has lowered and flared ejection port, melted in Bomars with bar dot tritium inserts from Tool Tech done 6 months ago, so they are fresh. Has Wilson match barrel and bushing. Wilson full length guide rod, Wilson long trigger, Wilson flat MSH, Wilson beaver tail grip safety, Wilson hammer, extractor, sear, safety, all internals are Wilson. Basically the entire parts list of Wilsons "Bullet proof" lineup. Has radiused mag well. Has Wilson checkered wood grips and socket type grip screws. Also has front strap hand cut checkering although not full coverage. Stainless frames at that time were a little thin in that area.

There is a tiny bit of finish wear on the corners of the rear sight from handling. Prominence wear only. Other than that the pistol is flawless. Only the frame and slide are Colts. Basically this is a Wilson Combat Commander for all intents and purposes built by the same man who built John Pride and John Shaws winning handguns. Since it was built I have put approximately 300 rounds through it. I have over $2400 in this gun in 1990's dollars. It absolutely drips quality.

Does anyone have an opinion of its value? Im thinking that it should be worth more than a comparable Wilson. For anyone who might be interested, Ross is in the process of moving and should be accepting new work in the next month or two. The pistol shown in the upper left corner of his home page at cartercustom.com is exactly how this pistol looks although that one isn't mine. Will be taking pictures today and uploading. Need to raise some money for another project. Just not certain what its worth. Any thoughts from knowledgeable 1911 people?

Thank you for your time.

the gman
July 14, 2013, 11:13
What it is worth is a subjective matter. There is no doubt you have a very high quality 1911, built by a good smith but it suffers from the same problem that most similar pistols do; the market for previously owned high end custom built 1911's is very limited. Within the industry, Carter is reasonably well known but outside of the cognoscenti, he is an unknown. Hell, many folks have no idea who John Shaw or Pride are and what they achieved!! Hence, your market is limited to those with an appreciation of fine gunsmiths and their work which is a lot smaller than those folks who would happily pay more than your build cost for a Wilson or Nighthawk, safe in the knowledge that they have a 'name' build which will likely hold it's value.

I may be completely wrong but if you look on GunBroker, you will see custom PPC and high end 1911's on there which sit for months unless they are either made by big name smiths or sadly, sold for much less than they were built for.

I would ask on some of the true 1911 forums like M1911.org or 1911forum.com and you never know, someone may offer to purchase it for a reasonable price.

tdb59
July 14, 2013, 11:36
What it is worth is a subjective matter. There is no doubt you have a very high quality 1911, built by a good smith but it suffers from the same problem that most similar pistols do; the market for previously owned high end custom built 1911's is very limited. Within the industry, Carter is reasonably well known but outside of the cognoscenti, he is an unknown. Hell, many folks have no idea who John Shaw or Pride are and what they achieved!! Hence, your market is limited to those with an appreciation of fine gunsmiths and their work which is a lot smaller than those folks who would happily pay more than your build cost for a Wilson or Nighthawk, safe in the knowledge that they have a 'name' build which will likely hold it's value.

I may be completely wrong but if you look on GunBroker, you will see custom PPC and high end 1911's on there which sit for months unless they are either made by big name smiths or sadly, sold for much less than they were built for.

I would ask on some of the true 1911 forums like M1911.org or 1911forum.com and you never know, someone may offer to purchase it for a reasonable price.

Custom gun, custom car, custom house.

Custom for the original customer. After that, market value is what cash it brings at that moment.

Sijones
July 14, 2013, 23:16
Your post definitely puts into perspective the whole "who is Ross Carter thing". Have to really know 1911's and maybe be on the back side of 40 or 50 to have a clue. Nice to encounter someone who knows who he is with out having to Google.

I took the pistol to a LGS yesterday that of all things strange, at least to me, has Wilson's in stock on display. I've never seen that in any gun shop anywhere. Staff of 5 including the owner were having lunch in the back. Showed them the gun. Was like letting kids loose in a candy store. The Wilson's are very nice, but the Carter Colt's was clearly on a different plane. None of them had ever handled a Colt's that had been hand fitted.

They took a bunch of pictures and sending to a "guy" who is supposed to get me a value on it. Will list on market place when I have that number, although I think I will likely get an offer from the owner of he shop.

The other thing that occurs to me is that someone in the market for a true top shelf 1911 can have this one now and not wait 9 to 12 months for a new build. Has to be worth something. It took the best part of a year for me to get this one back in '91-'92.

emcroy
July 15, 2013, 02:09
Mr. Carter did a nice melted in bomar cut Caspian rear sight along with a fiber optic front on a fixed sight Kimber for me around the same time frame. This is the gun that got me into shooting IPSC/USPSA. Very nice work!

Sijones
July 18, 2013, 22:28
Got an offer for $2500. Probably will take it. Very much appreciate everyone's time. Thank you.

the gman
July 19, 2013, 15:02
Got an offer for $2500. Probably will take it. Very much appreciate everyone's time. Thank you.

Sounds a very fair offer. Glad you found someone else to appreciate your baby.