View Full Version : New savage 308 in the stable.

June 30, 2013, 19:27
I recently acquired a savage model 11 hog hunter rifle in 308. I kind of liked the idea of a short (20") barrel with backup sights, so I bit. The rifle has all steel lpa sights, oversized bolt handle and a threaded muzzle. I will probably put some kind of muzzle device on it. I wish it had at least a hinged floor plate, but it only has a blind magazine. The factory stock was quite flimsy and the previous owner had replaced it with a boyds laminate thumbhole model. I topped it with a trijicon accupoint tr20 r 3-9x40 scope. Included with it was a one piece dnz scope mount. Very solid, but less than ideal for a top loading handy rifle with iron sights. Next thing to go on it will be 2 piece bases and warne qd rings. I have seen on some peoples rifles they installed peep sights with fiber optic front sight. That might be cool, but these lpa sights it came with seem pretty rugged. I have yet to attempt to sight them in. For a range report I threw together a couple handloads to try out. One with hornaday 165 grain soft point's and 41.5 grains of Imr 4895 and the other with wideners 175 grain bulk fmjbt. The 275 grain load seemed more accurate putting 4 rounds into an inch with one flyer opening the group up to around 2". I also attribute this to the reticle of the trijicon scope with it's single post. It will take some getting used to. One negative is the huge difference of impact with the two loads. When I switched to the 175 grain load it shot around 2 feet to the left of the other load.

July 01, 2013, 07:40
Nice lookin' rifle! :beer::beer::beer:

Otis Treekiller
July 01, 2013, 08:15
Needs a suppressor! :wink:

July 01, 2013, 09:32

WTF kina bullet where you shooting?? The 275 grain load seemed more accurate :rofl::rofl:

Nice rifle mang, see how it shoots 150's too.. Try a Hornady SP for example..
Then get a can and shoot some heavies.. :devil:

July 01, 2013, 10:39

WTF kina bullet where you shooting?? :rofl::rofl:

Nice rifle mang, see how it shoots 150's too.. Try a Hornady SP for example..
Then get a can and shoot some heavies.. :devil:

Whoops meant to say 175 gran load. On the RC my gun club has a big refrigerator full of different drinks that are .50 cents. I always get an RC. All it needs is a moon pie!

July 01, 2013, 19:20
Try the 168gr. AMax with 41.6gr of 4895 just for sport. That is what I found works best in my Savage 10 FP-SR. The rifle is capable, I'm not.

The Savages are really nice rifles, got to love the AccuTrigger. I took a friend from work out to the range one weekend that had never shot the 10. On his first round he destroyed a clay pigeon at 200 yards. Nothing but shit eating grin on his face the rest of the afternoon.

This is from checking loads at 100 yards. The sticky is just something to aim at not the intended target. If I could only shoot as well as the rifle.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc91/andy_sar-1/junk/308groups003.jpg (http://s218.photobucket.com/user/andy_sar-1/media/junk/308groups003.jpg.html)