PDA

View Full Version : WTK: Eddystone and Krag value

Topbanana
June 24, 2013, 23:28
Both US surp. Both FAIR-ish.

Thanks!

jdmcomp
June 25, 2013, 07:27
Need a lot more info, such as who made the 1917, what model is the Krag, and lots of pictures. Condition is every thing. Are they completely original, refinished, missing finish? Lots to be learned.

In the end the real value is what do you want.

Topbanana
June 25, 2013, 11:50
I do not know much about these rifles. The Eddystone SN was 69009 IIRC, don't remember make, but is US and in 30-06. The Krag was a Springfield Armory unit, short like a carbine (~18"bbl) with a Marbles rear sight and missing front sling loop.

Both finishes were worn to the point that they look like knight's armor about the bbl.

Gazz
June 25, 2013, 12:09
A Krag with a Marbles sight has probably been drilled and tapped or has an added dovetail so not so collectable. Many were shortened from rifles to carbine and those have no collectablility either but do have some value as shooters if the bores are good. Look for a filler in the forend tip where the cleaning rod channel was filled and also the addition of an '03 type front sight. Does it have the handguard? Also look at the bolt to be sure that it is not cracked by the single lug. Then there is the antique vs. modern firearm thing. I have seen shooter grade Krags sell on Gunbroker for $400 plus.
Can't say much about the 1917. Check Gunbroker for completed sales to get an idea.

tdb59
June 25, 2013, 12:11
I do not know much about these rifles. The Eddystone SN was 69009 IIRC, don't remember make, but is US and in 30-06. The Krag was a Springfield Armory unit, short like a carbine (~18"bbl) with a Marbles rear sight and missing front sling loop.

Both finishes were worn to the point that they look like knight's armor about the bbl.

The Krag is $ 150--$ 250, depending on what the individual parts are worth as it is most likely a clipped rifle.

Same on the Eddystone, depending on what has been altered.

Timber Wolf
June 26, 2013, 08:19
You are going to have to do some more research to ascertain today’s value of these old warhorses. Even parts guns can fetch good money these days. Krag parts especially are surprisingly high. I am going to step out here and give you a little unrequested advice though. Get after it and get them sold if that is what you want to do. I watch with amusement on Antiques Roadshow when they have the episodes were they re-run 1996 shows and compare the value range of the item then to today’s value. More often than not it seems the values have actually GONE DOWN, or at least stayed flat. It is not a very good investment that just holds value, much less goes down. As we old farts that love these rifles get older and die off the market for them shrinks. Gun buyers today want semi-autos and stuff they can easily wrench together on the kitchen table. Not saying that there will not always be somebody who wants the old bolt actions, just that I see the market for them shrinking.

flopshot
June 26, 2013, 08:56
sold samples are going over 300.00 easily if they're not chopped.
http://www.gunbroker.com/All/Completed/BCI.aspx?Keywords=eddystone&Timeframe=1&Condition=3

Topbanana
June 26, 2013, 19:57
The Krag in question can be had at $275. Has HG, didn't know they had a cleaning rod or hole for one!

I'm liking it as a field gun. It's nice, light, and points great! Bore needs cleaned before I make a deal, but it is promising.

The Eddystone appears to be correct as far as I can tell. They want $500. Bore looks pretty fair pending a cleaning, BUT muzzle erosion looks real bad.

I'm really keen on the Krag, it still looks like a solid Mil carbine in it's current form.

Topbanana
June 26, 2013, 19:59
Krag resembles this best to my memory, except with the Marbles Leaf site.

http://picturearchive.gunauction.com/1646213130/3972318/ACF553.jpg

Gazz
June 26, 2013, 20:39
That would be the correct type front sight for a true carbine. I found this picture of a carbine; http://www.surplusrifle.com/uskragcarbine/index.asp (and there may be more if you dig in to it deeper) and if you use google images, you will get a bunch of pictures that are chopped rifles as well as carbines but they may be hard to sort out if you are not familiar with the rifle. If it is a true carbine, the price seems reasonable but do make sure you check the bore carefully. The barrels were made of softer steel and really not up to many thousands of rounds of jacketed bullets. Make sure you check the forend for a filler. Also, the rear sights should be marked with a c indicating a carbine.
I have a cut rifle that I have been piecing together for a few years but have yet to take it hunting as most of the areas I hunt deer in are shotgun only. They are nice handy little carbines and very smooth operating. The military sights are a bit fine for my old eyes but I can't bring myself to drill any holes or change anything on it.

Topbanana
June 26, 2013, 20:54
Now I look at the pic, the one in the shop has a dovetail front site IIRC. Lemme go do some intel on the piece and I will get back to you all.

tdb59
June 26, 2013, 21:07
A LOT of Krag rifles were cut to carbine style, with a 1903 Springfield front sight attached. Some were " NRA Carbines " from Benecia Arsenal, and a bunch were facsimiles of the same, done by gunsmiths and hobbyists.