PDA

View Full Version : How much is my Python really worth.

Longbone
June 15, 2013, 10:50
I got my first Colt Python back in 2009, been coddling it ever since. Im not the type to own a gun and not shoot it but my python has become the exception. I won it on gun broker for 1300.
(beautiful 4", blued, original grips along with a nice one piece hogue)

Because it is so beautiful to me and in perfect condition (less box and papers) I just can't bring myself to fire it, or even spin the wheel, so I started shopping for a shooter and was a bit surprised at the prices I'm seeing now.

I'm not ever selling mine so I guess the actual value if it specifically is irrelevant but I can't find one for under a grand. Fellas are asking $3ooo+ on GB..com for a python of similar condition to the one I have now...

So, how much is a good shooter grade Python really worth these days?
I'm looking for another blued 4incher.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Longbone
June 15, 2013, 21:30
the unanswerable question...:skull:

K. Funk
June 15, 2013, 21:58
Unfortunately, it is an un-answerable question. I continue to be stunned at the number of Pythons on GB and what they bring. In all honesty, you won't know what it is worth until you go to sell it. A lot depends on when it was made. According to the Blue Book, the earlier ones from 1955 to 1969 tend to bring a premium. That being said, I have seen Pythons at auction that I thought were real nice bring ho-hum prices (for Pythons) and the next ho-hum Python bring big bucks. Nickel seems to be a big deal right now. At $1300, I would think you are ahead of the game.

krf

Longbone
June 15, 2013, 23:20
Thanks.

DYNOMIKE
June 16, 2013, 11:53
Nice guns but IMHO they have become overvalued and can bring silly $$...

Sold one last week at the shop for $1700.00 which I thought was pretty good for us..
Peeps can ASK whatever they want but the true value won't be known until someone actually buys it??

Personally I wouldn't pay $1500.00 for one let alone $3K..

There may also be another reason for the current pricing.
That being the WALKING DEAD TV Show as the Python is Rick's pistol of choice..

EPC WN
June 16, 2013, 12:08
If you paid 1300 for it adjust for inflation and send me a bill. ;)
I've been eyeballing the prices and shooters are going for what you paid. Nice ones anywhere from 1700-3500. Just depends on if you have exactly what someone else wants. Date, finish, and condition all apply. Snake gun guys know EXACTLY what they want. They pay handsomely for their criteria.

EPC WN
June 16, 2013, 12:12
There may also be another reason for the current pricing.
That being the WALKING DEAD TV Show as the Python is Rick's pistol of choice..

An astute observation of popular culture. I have also come to the same conclusion in current trends of the wants of the masses. 6" Nickle Plated garnering much additional attention and money. Selling now while the iron is burning hot may yield more money if you're looking to part with one.

Longbone
June 16, 2013, 12:46
I appreciate the insight.

D P Six
June 16, 2013, 18:45
Pythons are elegant guns and every collector should have at least one. However they do not stand up well to vigorous DA shooting and I find the Python trigger to be over rated. Working on them is beyond the abilities of most home gunsmiths and many professionals. I look at my Pythons and shoot the hell out of my S&W's.

Jeff in Pa
June 16, 2013, 19:27
Check completed items on Gun Broker to see what they actually sold for.

Anybody can list with a high price but completed items state the facts.

bouncer50
June 17, 2013, 05:57
I have a couple of old nice Pythons. They are now safe queens. Dollar for dollar you should look for a old Colt Tropper for a shooter. A friend and i were talking and handling my Pythons and my tropper we both could not really tell the different between the trigger pull in single and douple action. I can almost buy four tropper for the price of one Python.;)

Timber Wolf
June 17, 2013, 09:38
Even the Troopers are getting inflated as guys are no longer willing to pay Python prices are chasing them. My old (and not that long ago) standard price criteria for a Python was a grand, and then go up or down based on condition, box, etc. That price is now appearantly two grand.:rolleyes: Pythons have left the realm of shooter guns and entered unobtanium territory, a dang shame as good old guns deserve to get shot. I only have one, a well used but not abused blued 4" made in 1965. I traded into it locally for a very good price when I did and an absolute steal at today's rates. To be honest, I would just as soon shoot .38 Special out of my Colt Offical Police revolvers or my Officer's Model Match. For .357 Magnum I pick up a S&W 27, 28 or a Ruger GP.

June 17, 2013, 15:00
rick does lay down some harshness with that snake pistol.

EPC WN
June 17, 2013, 15:45
rick does lay down some harshness with that snake pistol.

It is truly the most beautiful revolver ever made. Scary, yet beautiful.

Longbone
June 17, 2013, 18:30
A bold statement Sir.
Im inclined to agree with you.

EPC WN
June 17, 2013, 19:21
A bold statement Sir.
Im inclined to agree with you.

Bold statements are my specialty. :shades: :fal:

FUUN063
June 18, 2013, 16:54
A premium cannot be obtained for a revolver (or any gun) without the proper box, paperwork, tools, etc. that it originally came with. That's just my opinion, though. I have collected, shot, bought, sold and traded many a revolver in my day. Plus, I shoot my S&W's, too. I got out of the Colt game with only a few samples several years ago. Upwards of 100 Colt's Patent revolvers is too many, especially when ya gotta wipe 'em down all the time. I got good prices, some were never fired, but I don't see the prices actually reflect what the pieces are truly worth. I jst don't think that they are worth what some bring, but to each their own. Good luck in the same if that's what you are trying to do.

Leland
:fal:

Dave Hume
June 28, 2013, 16:10
Value? The correct qualifier is "to whom?".

I never could understand the value of Colt revolvers....with the exception of the finish on many, they are inferior to S&W. DA take-up (what's the word for that characteristic that increases the pull as it's pulled through the DA cycle?) is unpredictable. Beautiful guns, no question. But from the ones I've fired I could NEVER see the value.

To a collector? Yeah...but gun collecting is such a putz kind of thing...go collect stamps...I SHOOT my guns....

W.E.G.
June 28, 2013, 16:12
...but are the $3000 guns SELLING?

Did NOT sell:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=334205139
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=333970799

Did sell:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=345665107

Jailguard
June 28, 2013, 16:29
I have a 6 inch circa 1971 that was my dads carry gun while he was working security in Las Vegas way back when. It has been refinished twice and the last time he had it done in hard crome. So as far as a collector grade gun it is not worth much but as a shooter it is real nice. I have been offered $1300 for it but it will stay with me for ever since it was my Dads gun.

meltblown
June 28, 2013, 16:47
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I used to think they were the cats ass back in the day. Now it's only Sigs and various 1911s like Colts, Kimbers, etc that get my motor running.

EPC WN
June 28, 2013, 20:50
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I used to think they were the cats ass back in the day. Now it's only Sigs and various 1911s like Colts, Kimbers, etc that get my motor running.

I'm with ya. One's taste evolves and can sometimes be satisfied with ownership. Shlomo's thread has me looking for a worthy 03 now. I can't seem to get past the FAL or the Python. I still lust over them, even after all this time...

L Haney
June 29, 2013, 05:40
It is truly the most beautiful revolver ever made. Scary, yet beautiful.

I have heard that from women who knew next to nothing about handguns. When a collection of revolvers was laid out, more than once I've seen them point to the Python and ask, "What's That?!". When asked why that one particular handgun caught their eye they'd respond, "Because that one is just pretty."

I agree.

Bug Tussell
June 30, 2013, 06:40
The height of revolver technology. Beautiful pieces of workmanship. Doesn't spew evidence around like a semi-auto.

I have some tube radios that were the last of the ones made. FM stereo. The pythons come from the same era.