PDA

View Full Version : Box inserts for early S&W ...

jugrunner
June 15, 2013, 08:54
you know the ones ... Mahogany boxes with the formed and "flocked" blue plastic inserts ...

anyone have a good solution on restoration or replacement ... ???

I have several boxes in need ...

thx ...

BUFF
June 15, 2013, 14:18
A fellow on the Smith-Wesson Forum restores them for a reasonable fee. The blue flocking does tend to come off with age, even if the case is just sitting in a safe by itself. I can get contact information for you. I haven't seen any do-it-yourself suggestions in a while.

jugrunner
June 16, 2013, 11:56
A fellow on the Smith-Wesson Forum restores them for a reasonable fee. The blue flocking does tend to come off with age, even if the case is just sitting in a safe by itself. I can get contact information for you. I haven't seen any do-it-yourself suggestions in a while.

Thanks ... shoot me a PM w/info when you get time ... or post it here ...

MAINER
June 17, 2013, 08:19
The local Homely Depot has 1/4" thick stock of pine, maple and poplar in various widths if you're clever with wood tools. I have wood tools, it's clever that I lack, and patience too. I'm not sure where to find Blue velvet or flocking right now. Flocking wouldn't be my first choice for sure.

FUUN063
June 17, 2013, 09:30
This is always a topic for the S&W collector. It seems to me that way back there was a flocking kit sold at a large craft and hobby ship outlet store. I don't remember the blue color being available, however. A friend of mine simply strips off the flocking to the plastic liner and then carefully glues blue felt onto it. It's not exactly flocking, but it works in a pinch and he seems to do a good job.

Leland
:fal:

jugrunner
June 18, 2013, 11:11
well ... I'm clever ... and I'm clever with wood tools ... but ... I don't think I'm that damn clever ... :wink:

"flocking" is not my first or second choice ... blue velvet will work nicely but I'm missing the inserts on 2 of the boxes ... :eek:

a visit to the S&W forum is in order I guess ...

thx guys ...