PDA

View Full Version : Any idea on what would cause this DR200 issue

EODCOLRET
June 13, 2013, 10:18
I have a DR 200 where the charging handle will not retract past the rear of ejection port resulting in BCG only 1/2 back of ejection port. (will try to attach a picture but might be an issue on my part) Also only way to disassemble is to remove front pivot pin and lift upper from lower receiver. Seems to be hanging up for some reason. I bought rifle back in the 90's and stuck in safe since. A few years ago, I did have a local gunsmith in MO replace the thumbhole stock with the ACE folder along with the required 922R parts to stay legal. Unsure if this resulted in problem or not (I recall having same issue on disassembly when I took it in but didn't think anything of it at the time). I have sent it off to DRP to have the fake flash suppressor removed/replaced and he is going to look at it anyway but was just wondering if anybody else had encountered this issue since I just found this forum.

hagar
June 13, 2013, 20:00
You can assemble these wrong. Ask Moses about it when I complained mine would not fire and he took it apart, just to find out the "finger" on the gas piston assembly did not engage the hole in the carrier. That's why I mainly shoot these things, not tinker with them..:biggrin:

s0b3
June 13, 2013, 21:21
just to state the obvious, you are trying to remove the bolt carrier right? the handle has to come out before the bolt carrier will.

when you have the back end opened up, pull the handle all the way to the rear and then pull it out, then the carrier will come out of the upper receiver. it won't come out with the handle attached.

see page 22 here:

http://stevespages.com/pdf/daewoo_dr200.pdf

Dirt1042
June 13, 2013, 22:54
just to state the obvious, you are trying to remove the bolt carrier right? the handle has to come out before the bolt carrier will.

when you have the back end opened up, pull the handle all the way to the rear and then pull it out, then the carrier will come out of the upper receiver. it won't come out with the handle attached.

see page 22 here:

http://stevespages.com/pdf/daewoo_dr200.pdf

He said he can't get the handle all the way to the rear to do that.

StormWerkz
June 13, 2013, 23:40
Have you installed a scope mount? If so perhaps one of the mounting screws is too deep in the reciever and hitting the carrier?

EODCOLRET
June 14, 2013, 13:53
Have you installed a scope mount? If so perhaps one of the mounting screws is too deep in the reciever and hitting the carrier?

Negative on scope mount. Here is a picture in which you can see the position the BCG 1/2 back in ejection port and charging handle only going back as far as rear of ejection port.

http://s1097.photobucket.com/user/EODCOLRET/media/DR200photo2.jpg.html

Dasho101
June 14, 2013, 19:30
getting cought one some part of the after market trigger?

jerry704
June 16, 2013, 19:53
I would open it up at the hinge and visually inspect what is causing the issue by pushing bolt closed and peering inside.

vandal968
June 17, 2013, 01:54
Could the bolt be in the carrier upside down so it fouls on the ejector?

V

EODCOLRET
June 17, 2013, 09:43
I did open it up and retracted the charging handle to try to see what it was hanging up on. It appears something in the trigger possibly being offset to one side, like possibly it was not installed correctly but will let DRP figure it out. It should get there this week since I am having the fake flash suppressor replaced and having them check it out at same time. Hope to hear something this week.

Also to my knowledge it is not possible to intall BCG upside down since the OP ROD sits in the slot on top of BCG but could be wrong since I don't have it in front of me.

Regardless thanks for all the input and will post something when I hear from DRP to let all know what was the issue. (Hopefully not just a case of operator error :uhoh:).

EODCOLRET
June 17, 2013, 17:37
I did open it up and retracted the charging handle to try to see what it was hanging up on. It appears something in the trigger possibly being offset to one side, like possibly it was not installed correctly but will let DRP figure it out. It should get there this week since I am having the fake flash suppressor replaced and having them check it out at same time. Hope to hear something this week.

Also to my knowledge it is not possible to intall BCG upside down since the OP ROD sits in the slot on top of BCG but could be wrong since I don't have it in front of me.

Regardless thanks for all the input and will post something when I hear from DRP to let all know what was the issue. (Hopefully not just a case of operator error :uhoh:).

UPDATE: Just got email from DRP and the problem was the 922R replacement AR hammer. DRP stated "MIXING Daewoo parts and AR parts doesn't work. The disconnector was not engaging the disconnector tooth on the AR hammer." Just goes to reinforce the idea of getting a gun repaired go with the expert on the type of firearm if at all possible.

s0b3
June 17, 2013, 20:28
UPDATE: Just got email from DRP and the problem was the 922R replacement AR hammer. DRP stated "MIXING Daewoo parts and AR parts doesn't work. The disconnector was not engaging the disconnector tooth on the AR hammer." Just goes to reinforce the idea of getting a gun repaired go with the expert on the type of firearm if at all possible.

cool. i always swap out the entire fire control group since it gets me 3 US made parts and it's cheap. glad that problem is solved.

Dasho101
June 20, 2013, 21:45
win for the dash... i had a similar problem when i swapped out my trigger parts. i also noticed if you pull the trigger with the bolt half back (so u can drop the hammer with out quite dry firing it) some times it will jam up the bolt. i figure something lithe that may have been happening here sort of.

s0b3
June 20, 2013, 22:13
notched hammers right? or are the rounded hammers causing this issue too?

Dasho101
June 21, 2013, 12:26
im my case notched (im guessing you mean squared like a geissele) its only an issue when things work out just right so im keeping it in... but i may start playing around with it and seeing if i can smooth things out a bit and still have it function reliably.

s0b3
June 21, 2013, 18:41
im my case notched (im guessing you mean squared like a geissele) its only an issue when things work out just right so im keeping it in... but i may start playing around with it and seeing if i can smooth things out a bit and still have it function reliably.

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m446/bdsmchs/Hammers.jpg

It was put there to produce a symptom called "collar catch". If you used a M16 firing pin with a unshrouded carrier, all you could find along time ago, the collar on the M16 firing pin would catch on that notch thus stopping the function of the weapon.

Colt started it to prevent the hammer from riding the bolt down in the event that the disconnector fails in an unshrouded carrier.

Others just followed suit.

There is no real purpose for the notch besides cause problems. It causes problems in .22 conversions, i had a Ruger SR556 lock up like this daewoo with a notched hammer. Strange part was that the factory hammer was notched but when i swapped it out with the RRA one, it locked it up. A rounded hammer got it back up and running.

Dasho101
June 22, 2013, 14:23
notched it is than. no matter i ordered a spikes thats got that nickle boron coated trigger and im going to save this no name (for me at least) for my next budget ar build. its never cause in issue during actual shooting but it just annoys me a bit.

!cidem
June 23, 2013, 18:14
Scratch that.