PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Help With the Barrett....

K. Funk
June 02, 2013, 14:28
OK, so I got a Barrett M82a1 early 4 digit rifle. I put Leupold Mk 4 8-25x scope on it using Leupold 30mm super high rings. The rifle is shooting 3-4 ft high at 100 yds and I have all of the scope adjustment taken out. What are my options for getting this back on paper??

Thanks,

krf

paulb2112
June 02, 2013, 14:41
I used the barrett zero gaps also with a mk4 and was perfect. You could shim the rear .030

or try it at 600-700 yards since I doubt you bought it to shoot that close.

They did most testing on these with mk4 and barrett mounts so its pretty much bolt right on with that program.

I bought the BORS computer aswell and love it.

Good luck with it!

K. Funk
June 02, 2013, 18:20
Here is the set-up I have. I needed to mount the rings where they are to get the eye relief I need. Where do you find these shims? I will be shooting at approx 550-600 yds.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c272/kandainv/IMG_4326_zpsda3ae63e.jpg (http://s29.photobucket.com/user/kandainv/media/IMG_4326_zpsda3ae63e.jpg.html)

thx,

krf

paulb2112
June 02, 2013, 20:06
I could make you some. But I see your problem. Mine has full length rail from factory. Yours has welded mount. Your scope is a mile too high.
I would recomend getting down where scope barely clears mount.
Mine barely clears top of rail and is perfect.
Im sure seeing picture thats your problem.
Get some low mounts and problem solved.

Hope that helps.

riffraff2
June 04, 2013, 15:02
Here is the set-up I have. I needed to mount the rings where they are to get the eye relief I need. Where do you find these shims? I will be shooting at approx 550-600 yds.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c272/kandainv/IMG_4326_zpsda3ae63e.jpg (http://s29.photobucket.com/user/kandainv/media/IMG_4326_zpsda3ae63e.jpg.html)

thx,

krf

You can't move the back ring rearward but you sure can move the front ring forward, can you not? This may not solve the problem you are inquiring about but it is the right thing to do. I understand about the eye relief but IMO you really should scoot that scope just a tad forward and move the front ring to the next set of slots. Believe it or not, that scope actually flexes/bends when you fire that rifle. Your scope is just not supported enough.

K. Funk
June 04, 2013, 16:55
I had a chat with Barrett today. I am going to try some stuff. Lower rings, reposition, bore sight, etc. I will work on it this weekend.

krf

K. Funk
June 04, 2013, 18:57
OK...I think I got it worked out. I spread the rings out to either end of the rail and propped the upper on some pillows to bore sight at 100yds. She was way off, but I was able to bring the crosshairs onto the bull. I'll try to get it back to the range in the next day or so to attempt another zero session.

krf

MK ULTRA
June 05, 2013, 07:53
Don't shim the rings. That will flex that $1200 scope. You don't want to do that. Barrett sells tilt adj. rings.

Also see what barrett will charge to update your rail. You can mail it in and they can mail it back to you w/o going through an ffl. They may do that for not much money. Worth a try.

gates
June 05, 2013, 11:39
I think MK has the best idea - mine has the full length rail and the scope sits pretty flat.

bubbagump
June 05, 2013, 14:31
OK, so I got a Barrett M82a1 early 4 digit rifle. I put Leupold Mk 4 8-25x scope on it using Leupold 30mm super high rings. The rifle is shooting 3-4 ft high at 100 yds and I have all of the scope adjustment taken out. What are my options for getting this back on paper??

Thanks,

krf

3-4 feet high at 100 is shocking. Seems you are on the way to get it worked out. I believe the Barrett M82 ships with a 20 MOA rail, not sure what the rangeability is on a Leupold of that caliber but 20 MOA may challenge a cheesy scope. I would think a Leupold ought to offer enough to allow a 20 MOA rail, perhaps even 40.

Spreading the mounts as wide as possible is pretty much SOP whenever mounting a scope, nothing good can come from having the space between mounts narrow like that. Especially on a rifle like that.

MK ULTRA
June 05, 2013, 15:12
First thing I'd do is get the open sights working.

With good ammo you should be able to hit a man size target out to 600 yrds with those.

partisan50
June 07, 2013, 20:13
About ten to twelve years ago, I bought a rear elevated scope base for my 82a1 direct from Barrett so I can use more of the elevation on my MKIV scope.

carguym14
June 11, 2013, 21:55
Don't shim the rings. That will flex that $1200 scope. You don't want to do that. Barrett sells tilt adj. rings.

Also see what barrett will charge to update your rail. You can mail it in and they can mail it back to you w/o going through an ffl. They may do that for not much money. Worth a try.

Interesting.

I have the old style set up like K Funks-I'll have to check on upgrading.

K. Funk
June 22, 2013, 22:26
Good news to report. After sighting in again at 100 yds, I was on paper and able to zero. At the M/D shoot, we calculated that we needed to come up 3 moa to hit our 600 yd targets. Man it was good to hit the steel on the first shot with a blue tip incendiary. We were hitting steel all day at 550-600 yds. Nothing like having it all work out in the end.

Krf