PDA

View Full Version : taurus 41 magnum 21/2 inch barrel ??

detroit360
May 23, 2013, 12:35
what do you all know about a taurus 41 mag. 21/2 inch barrel, Im thinking about getting one, any experience about this gun would be apprieciated

Retired Bum
May 23, 2013, 17:28
Let me talk about ammo supply first. Do you already own a .41 Magnum and have a sufficient supply of ammo on hand? If not then finding .41 ammo during this contrived ammo shortage could be a real problem. Even when ammo was available finding .41 Magnum was somewhat of a problem because today the cartridge is a niche round. It is something to consider when you contempulate the purchase of a new firearm.

I have no experience with the Taurus revolver model you are interested in. I've owned at least half a dozen .41 Magnum's over the years. But they have all been S&W's and Rugers. Given the problems with Taurus quality control and warranty service you might want to reconsider. I know shooters who have had nothing but good luck with their Taurus handguns. And others who wished that they had never bought them.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

Illurian00
May 23, 2013, 18:36
I think you can convert Herters .401 PowerMag brass in a pinch,,,,:devil:

Retired Bum
May 23, 2013, 20:32
The Herter .401 Power Mag....

I remember when this cartridge came out in 1961. The Power Mag single action revolver was made in Germany by J.P. Sauer & Sohn. Basically a knock off of the Ruger Blackhawk.

Now the round is deader than even the .41 Action Express. Some owners of the Power Mag .401 had gunsmiths rechamber the cylinder to the .38-40 Winchester so they could still shoot the thing.

AFAIK there isn't a source for .401 brass these days. I have one of the Ruger Blackhawk "Buckeye Special" Convertibles with the .38-40 and 10mm cylinders. The case diameters of the 10mm and the .401 are virtually identical. And the rim thickness is just right for correct headspacing. So I thought that I would like to create a rimmed 10mm just for the fun of it. Gave up that idea when I learned that there was no aftermarket .401 Power Mag brass to be had. Oh well....

And so it goes.

The Retired One

Illurian00
May 24, 2013, 15:40
AFAIK there isn't a source for .401 brass these days

pizzaklee,,,it's difficult enough these days acquireing components for 'common' cartridges,,,,

richbug
May 24, 2013, 18:07
AFAIK there isn't a source for .401 brass these days. I have one of the Ruger Blackhawk "Buckeye Special" Convertibles with the .38-40 and 10mm cylinders. The case diameters of the 10mm and the .401 are virtually identical. And the rim thickness is just right for correct headspacing. So I thought that I would like to create a rimmed 10mm just for the fun of it. Gave up that idea when I learned that there was no aftermarket .401 Power Mag brass to be had. Oh well....

Cut off 30-30 brass. All are roughly .422" OD at the base. I made some for my S&W 610.

Retired Bum
May 24, 2013, 21:19
Cut off 30-30 brass.

I dug through my scrap brass box and found close to 20 once fired cases that I scrounged from my club range some years ago.

I used a tubing cutter to shorten the cases and then ran them through a Lyman carbide 10mm sizing die. Then trimmed the cases to .992" using a Forster trim tool. The cases chambered up just fine in the Ruger 10mm Auto cylinder. But the case walls were too thick to permit seating a bullet. No problem I thought. I acquired a .40 inside neck ream cutter for the Forster and reamed out exactly one case. The remaining case wall was super micro thin. Easily crushed with only slight finger pressure. Another experiment that didn't work out......

And so it goes.

The Retired One

nearmisses
May 25, 2013, 12:54
I got my daughter one last Nov. She loves it. Carries concealed, the gun was a bit dear in price as it was a Titanium one. Overall was in great condition. No problems and don't expect any. I bought her 200 cases and 600 bullets before it got crazy but I still go thru the ads for her for bullets and brass. Just do a search on GB for 41, then look for reloading supplies. Ammo's out there but steep. Maybe the 44 special or Rossi/Taurus 5 shot 44 mag. Seems to be more popular and out there.

Retired Bum
May 25, 2013, 14:57
My S&W Model 58 .41 Mag M&P with the four inch barrel is way too big and heavy for concealed carry. I have one of the Model 696 L frame five shot .44 Special revolvers with the three inch barrel. Easier to carry and conceal than the N frame but still no lightweight by any means.

I always thought that S&W should have offered the 696 chambered for the .41 Magnum in addition to the .44 Special. But the 696 wasn't in production for all that long and now it is a somewhat sought after niche gun by revolver shooters.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

detroit360
May 25, 2013, 21:03
Well I bought a Ruger sp 101 57 mag, I checked out the taurus, and when I cocked the hammer and brought it down to the point of just before it hits th firing pin there was a real lot of play in the cylinder, the ruger was as tight as can be , no play at all, thats all it took for me to buy the ruger, plus I have ammo for it already, for a colt trooper

Retired Bum
May 25, 2013, 23:18
Then you made a good decision and bought a nicely made revolver chambered for a pair of established mainstream cartridges. It always pays to spend a few more dollars and buy a firearm that you can trust from a maker that has a good reputation for customer service.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

Timber Wolf
May 28, 2013, 12:22
Well I bought a Ruger sp 101 57 mag, I checked out the taurus, and when I cocked the hammer and brought it down to the point of just before it hits th firing pin there was a real lot of play in the cylinder, the ruger was as tight as can be , no play at all, thats all it took for me to buy the ruger, plus I have ammo for it already, for a colt trooper

I love my SP, packed it some just last week while walking the dog.

detroit360
May 30, 2013, 19:16
I put about 10 rounds thru it, what seems really wierd, is I swear it doesnt seem to kick as bad as when I shoot my 357 colt trooper, does that make any sense to you all??!!

Timber Wolf
May 31, 2013, 07:16
I put about 10 rounds thru it, what seems really wierd, is I swear it doesnt seem to kick as bad as when I shoot my 357 colt trooper, does that make any sense to you all??!!

Im not surprised, felt recoil is a highly individual thing. The grip shape, material, size, angle, etc. all come into play. I have .357 magnums of all sizes from Ruger, Colt, S&W, Dan Wesson and a T/C Contender. The SP101 and Dan Wesson are my favorites to shoot with any load. Years ago I loaded up some real bruisers with stiff charges of H110 (I think, maybe 2400) behind Sierra 180 grain soft point bullets to launch out of my 6 S&W 28 at a 100 yards. When I got my SP I shot some of these and did not mind them at all. Did I mention I love my little SP?

nearmisses
May 31, 2013, 12:23
Normal loads didn't seem to recoil at all badly when I shot it. I liked it far better than 357's I've had. My daughter has never complained of any of the loads I've made for her. She shoots them all well. I think you will find it an able piece. I hear mush criticizem over Taurus products but I always seem to have good luck with them. Just bought my SO a PT-22, wanted a Beretta 21A but alas, too much money and none around. It works flawlessly with 22 Rem HVHP but not so well with Vipers. As always, 22 autos are picky.
Good luck.

warden
May 31, 2013, 15:11
My favorite all around carry gun is a Taurus 2 1/2 ported titanium .357, 7 rds. Light, reliable and accurate.
The Ribber grips soak up a lot of recoil. I understand Taurus stopped the titanium guns because of production costs. Glad I grabbed mine a few years ago.