PDA

View Full Version : Glock 20 problem???

Gazz
May 22, 2013, 19:11
I've been shooting a friends Glock 20 and it has a small yet annoying problem. Sometimes when I insert a fresh loaded mag in and hit the slide release, the slide only goes half way. I have to bump the butt end of the slide with the heel of my hand to get the round chambered. After that it will run the magazine no problem. It's just that first round. With the owners consent, I put the tiniest radius on the bottom of the extractor but unfortunately have no more ammo to test the modification with! None to be had around here either. What do you guys think? Have any of you ever heard of this kind of problem with a Glock before?

Gunny HWY
May 22, 2013, 20:11
Hey Howdy, sounds like a new magazine with extra spring pressure. What capacity ? What brand is the magazine ? What kind of ammo ? New gun, old gun ? More info please..........:cool:

TXscout
May 22, 2013, 20:50
Factory or extended slide release?? Also sounds like it could be needing a new recoil spring--how old is it, round count wise? Does it repeat FTF with various mags?

Gazz
May 23, 2013, 07:26
Thanks for the responses. The pistol is all factory including the magazine. He only gave me one magazine to try it out with so have no idea if a different magazine would change it. One bit of info that is interesting is that a fully loaded magazine of 15 rounds did not do it - everything worked fine. Since I only had 30 rounds to shoot and having already shot 15, I loaded the mag with five rounds only 3x and I had the FTF two of those. I really need a bunch more ammo to shake this thing out but I have no more and the stores are all out.
The owner says this thing fails him while he is running through a magazine but I have not seen that happen.

olgier
May 23, 2013, 07:45
Try diff. ammo. You might have some that is slightly out of spec also. I have never had that issue with mine.

T210driver
May 23, 2013, 09:11
Is this perhaps a very early model Glock? I had a similar problem with two very early Glock 20s. If so, check to see whether the firing pin block is Tenifer coated or chrome. The very early Glocks had Tenifer coated firing pin blocks and trigger bars. The Tenifer coating created enough friction to cause the slide to fail to go forward sometimes. Glock offered an upgrade kit of a chrome firing pin block and trigger bar that fixed the problem, but that was quite a few years ago. Good luck with your testing.

Old Sarge
May 26, 2013, 08:55
Gazz
Dose it do it if you pull the slide back to release it? Or just when you use the slide release to drop the slide?

I had a G19 that did the same thing, only it was Remington ammo only. I switched ammo and never had the issue again. I think it was the profile of the Rem bullets that caused the issue.

Old Sarge

Gazz
May 27, 2013, 06:11
He took the pistol back so he could have it for his vacation in the woods. I suggested to him that he try different ammo and another magazine. The ammo I was using was Privi (?). He said he found a shop that had a bunch of 10mm ammo and he was going to pickup 10 boxes but he did not know the brand. I can't remember if I was using the slide stop to release the slide or if I was pulling the slide back a bit and then letting go. Hopefully a new magazine and different ammo will fix it. In any case, thanks for all your suggestions!

TnHawk-45
June 03, 2013, 20:00
Check to see if the barrel is factory or after market. LOTS of Glock barrels get changed so folks can shoot lead.

Right now the best barrel I have for my 10 is a Lone Wolf 6 inch.