PDA

View Full Version : SIG 551

olgier
May 17, 2013, 15:09
OK, I know where there is a SIG 551 with 2 mags for $1200

How do they compare to the 556? (I had a 556 I didn't really care for it that much)

Better? Worse? Finding mags a PITA?

Fill me in!

Enhander
May 17, 2013, 18:37
I haven't got a chance to shoot mine yet. I was about to trade it up for something else cause of a lot of the reviews that I read. Turns out that I was reading reviews on the 556. As far as I can tell everyone that has reviews the 551a1 has loved it.

Mags are a bit hard to get and slightly expensive. Nothing too bad, they're just hard to obtain because they are a proprietary mag. Much higher tolerance than a standard AR mag though. I like them a lot.

I'll get a chance to shoot mine this weekend hopefully. I also own a SCAR 16s. All the reviews I've read have been from folks that owned the SCAR first and wish they didn't drop the big money on it because the 551 is just as good. Doesn't mean I'm gonna get rid of my SCAR.. I love it. I hope to love the 551 as much.

brunop
May 18, 2013, 15:02
It's a POS - don't buy it.

Hey - if I send you $1,200, will buy it for me and send it down?

Thanks a bunch.

olgier
May 18, 2013, 15:22
It's a POS - don't buy it.

Hey - if I send you $1,200, will buy it for me and send it down?

Thanks a bunch.

I'll be looking it over in person tuesday. If I decide I don't like it, I will let you know. :D And it would be 1200 + shipping. lol

mongoose
May 19, 2013, 17:15
They are good rifles and I have one. Fired about 200 rnds before the craize w/o a single issue.

Enhander
May 20, 2013, 09:39
Fired mine yesterday. Its got a very smooth recoil cycle and a very loud report. I love it

sweetwine
May 20, 2013, 10:16
LOVE my 551A1 shoots very good not as good as an AR-15 but not enough to matter. Handles well like the folding Swiss stock, smooth action no spring noise. Worst thing is it slings the brass a looonngg way so if you reload it's a pain. Easy to clean, disaasembly is a snap. Sights are ok but my eyes are getting worse but I can see them well enough. I did add an ACOG and that works well. Only changes I did was make a bayonet lug for a Swiss bayonet and change the flash hider ro a Swiss style. Don't for get that SIG main office is not to far from you in New Hampshire. I will be going there in a few weeks when I visit Maine on vacation. They have the best prices on mags.
Hope that helps. :wink:

LKY_13
May 20, 2013, 10:38
Love the crap out of mine, but it has a 556 HB upper. Shoots way better than any AR I've used. And no buffer spring rattling next to your ear. Never had any issues with it. I wish that I was a better shot so that I could take it to it's true potential, but it's a riot. Love, love the Swiss style lower. Would like to get a nice Leupold or Nightforce someday, but the Super Sniper is great on a budget.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u287/LKY13_WRC/DSCF2037.jpg (http://s171.photobucket.com/user/LKY13_WRC/media/DSCF2037.jpg.html)

Enhander
May 20, 2013, 13:06
I did notice that it slings brass a mile away. I lost all the brass I shot yesterday. I figure it does that just because it doesnt have a brass deflector.

olgier
May 22, 2013, 14:33
It followed me home. Basically a brand new gun as the owner fired less than 100 rds through it. Everything looks brand new, no carbon or residue anywhere.

Now to go shoot it this weekend. :) Hope I like it, but if not I'm sure someone will want it. :biggrin:

mongoose
May 22, 2013, 17:57
I hope you enjoy it. If it hasn't been mentioned, brass flies about 2 o' clock and 10+ feet out

Enhander
May 28, 2013, 13:45
I got a chance to put a few more rounds through it yesterday. Still trying to figure out how to use the rear sight. I've yet to bench rest it and test it 100%. Ill get to do that in the coming weeks. Its still a sweet shooter. I normally dont load my mags up all the way. Usually the most Ill put in them is 5. I was able to put 5 rounds into a zombie targets head at about 45 yards. Thats good enough for me at the moment. When I test it, Id like to see a bit better of a grouping though.

I believe its a 1/7th twist. To get the best performance, should I use higher grain ammo?

rbbw
May 30, 2013, 11:01
My 551-A1 likes the heavier bullets better . Using Prvi-Partisan 75 gr HPBT Match ammo , I put 5 rds. into just under 1" at 100 yds. off a bench . It will do the same with their 69 Gr. HPBT Match . 55 Gr. surplus ammo goes 2-3" at 100 yds.

Merkava
May 30, 2013, 19:36
Mine definitely likes 62 grain and higher also.

Blain
June 04, 2013, 07:49
It followed me home. Basically a brand new gun as the owner fired less than 100 rds through it. Everything looks brand new, no carbon or residue anywhere.

Now to go shoot it this weekend. :) Hope I like it, but if not I'm sure someone will want it. :biggrin:

Let me guess, Kittery???

Enhander
June 10, 2013, 10:28
Ended up trading the SIG to a buddy of mine. No foul reason or anything. It shoots great, the deal just worked out to both of our favors. Ill still get to shoot it anytime, its just not housed in my safe anymore.

olgier
August 04, 2013, 12:10
Let me guess, Kittery???

Nope, local PD.