PDA

View Full Version : 17 v 19, your thoughts?

Bull915
May 13, 2013, 09:07
I have a 17, but find it a bit hard to conceal. Is a 19 all that much different. I have looked at the data and understand the numbers. Just wondering real world if the difference is worth picking one up.

gunplumber
May 13, 2013, 10:52
It is the grip that makes it a little easier to conceal. Personally, I don't like the 19 because it is too small for my hand, and if I add a grip extender, I'm back to a 17. So I just carry a 17 and for more concealed, a J frame smith. My 26 just imprints so much more.

DYNOMIKE
May 13, 2013, 21:09
17 vs 19..

1/2" diff frame/grip, 1/2" diff slide/barrel, 17rds for the 17, 15 for the G19..

Ya want a FULL size gun or a Mid-sized gun?
Pretty simple really..

Bull915
May 13, 2013, 21:41
Wow, thanks for that insightful reply Mike. LOL

I was looking for something more like Mark's reply that gives some form of personal experience. Maybe somebody would say"actually the grip contour is different making it easier to conceal".

You know, something other that the straight numbers. But hey, thanks for both replies.

ftierson
May 13, 2013, 22:26
Keep in mind that there have been grip changes in both over the years.

I have a couple of Glock 17s, one of which I carry most of the time. Both are 2nd generation Glocks, and I like the 2nd generation G17 grip a little more than the 2nd gen G19 grip. I also like the G17 3rd gen grip slightly better than the 3rd gen G19 grip, but the grip feel is a very personal thing and I also have big hands. I haven't felt the need to play with any of the Gen 4 Glocks...

Also keep in mind that, although the G19 is designed for a 15rd standard mag, you can easily add the +2 floorplate for 17. Or you can just use the G17 mag with 17 or 19 rds. Or you can use the G18 mag with 33 rounds...

Keep the 15rd mag in the gun while carrying and tote along the 33 for backup... :)

Forrest

DYNOMIKE
May 13, 2013, 22:50
I wasn't really trying to be a smart ass just thought the basic diff tween guns would do... :tongue:

Of course my comments where comparing GEN to GEN since there are some differences between ea...

Gen 4 vs Gen 3= Interchangeable back straps (guns built after Feb also have beaver tail back straps included)..

Reversible Mag Release, dual recoil spring/guide rod assy., stippled grip (rather then older texture)

One bitch with old Grocks was they either fit your hand or they didn't, now with the new grips they seem to fit a larger group of peeps then before..

Yup, if'n ya have a 19 and want more capacity then a 17 mag will work but that brings me to ask WHY not just buy a 17 to begin with??

FWIW, I own a 34, 35, and a 21 all Gen 4's, don't like the way the 19 fits my hand.... :whiskey:

ftierson
May 14, 2013, 00:41
Yup, if'n ya have a 19 and want more capacity then a 17 mag will work but that brings me to ask WHY not just buy a 17 to begin with??

Well, yes...

Good point... :)

Then again, the G19 IS slightly smaller (see Dynomike's post above (sorry, couldn't help myself :))) and slightly easier to conceal (but not enough to bother me). Thus, a 17 or 19 or 33 rd backup mag will work just fine, keeping the shorter 15rd mag in the concealed gun.

Then again, again, I do have big hands. I also have a GEN2 Glock 21 and a GEN2.5 Glock 21 and they feel just dandy in my hand... :)

Forrest

SWOHFAL
May 14, 2013, 01:30
I have a 17, but find it a bit hard to conceal. Is a 19 all that much different. I have looked at the data and understand the numbers. Just wondering real world if the difference is worth picking one up.

The 19 or any mid-size Glock never felt comfortable to me, seeming to hit my palm in a spot that was rubbed wrong by the grip. Both the FS and compact models don't have this problem for me - not sure if the Gen 4 mid-size models do, as I haven't tried one out yet.

Andy the Aussie
May 14, 2013, 02:49
My personal favourite is the 19/23 I have carried both lots as well as a 22 (and a 17 less so) lots, the 19/23 is just much better in hand to me, i am a big enough guy that the 17/22 are easy enough to conceal for me but the 19/23 is just a little easier.

homelandprotector
May 14, 2013, 16:40
I keep all models...., several in the house, one in each vehicle and every member of my family in case of SHTF.

all 40's though, 35's, 22's and 23's. I'm almost convinced that even the 23 is to big for concealmen and to heavy (even though its the lightest in it's class)
Never do I feel under armed with a Glock, the 35's live in the house hidden at all ends.

Been thinking about getting a 24 just for the cool factor :cool:

May 14, 2013, 21:58
i prefer the g27, or g26 in 9mm. most of the time i carry with the 13 rd mag in a wilderness zip slide but go to the 10 rd and pocket carry as needed. if open carry i use the 15 rd mag. the little glocks use the bigger mags as needed and can use the longer barrels.

Timber Wolf
May 15, 2013, 08:38

Because the 19 (23) conceals better IWB and packs easier OWB. I have had three sizes of Glock, in .40. I started with a 22, swapped it for a 27 which I carried quite a bit. I shot the 27 well but never really liked the way it felt, particularly when shooting one-handed. I bought an XDsc and swapped off the G27 and never looked back. I wanted another Glock .40 (because I have a KelTec Sub2K .40 that takes the Glock mag) and figured I would try the only one I had not had yet, a G23. I picked up a Police Trade-in Gen 3 and like the "tweener" Glock the best. It rides in my Supertuck as well as the 27 did but feels better in my beefy hand than the 22. For more capacity I run either a G22 mag with a spacer or a G23 mag with a Pierce +2 extender. I see no downside to the 19/23 size and plently of upside. If you are REALLY after barrel length and sight radius, go all the way to a 34/35.

DYNOMIKE
May 15, 2013, 10:31
Because the 19 (23) conceals better IWB and packs easier OWB. I have had three sizes of Glock, in .40. I started with a 22, swapped it for a 27 which I carried quite a bit. I shot the 27 well but never really liked the way it felt, particularly when shooting one-handed. I bought an XDsc and swapped off the G27 and never looked back. I wanted another Glock .40 (because I have a KelTec Sub2K .40 that takes the Glock mag) and figured I would try the only one I had not had yet, a G23. I picked up a Police Trade-in Gen 3 and like the "tweener" Glock the best. It rides in my Supertuck as well as the 27 did but feels better in my beefy hand than the 22. For more capacity I run either a G22 mag with a spacer or a G23 mag with a Pierce +2 extender. I see no downside to the 19/23 size and plently of upside. If you are REALLY after barrel length and sight radius, go all the way to a 34/35.

My point is when someone selects a handgun based on size and then sticks a mag in that projects beyond the standard guns dimensions then it pretty much undermines the purpose of choosing the smaller gun to begin with..

To each his own of course I just like to interject some logic is all..
I owned one of the very first 27's to hit the shelf. Carried and shot it off and on for 15 years but never really loved it..
Working where I do I can handle pretty much anything that's out there and just don't like the "tweener's"..

BTW, right now I have a 34, 35, & a 21.. :wink:

Bull915
May 15, 2013, 18:43
Hell Mike, no worries.

Jason, I'm currently using an IWB run of the mill leather holster. This weekend I will be picking up a version of the Cross Breed. I think it will work well.

Thanks for all the replies!

EinheitElf
May 16, 2013, 01:56
Here is just a thought.... you may want to expand to a g22/g23 in 40sw,you can buy a 9mm barrel AND a 357sig barrel and basically run 3 calibers through the one gun and pretty much use the same mags:biggrin: except the 357sig mags have a different follower ,I have not tried 357 sig in my g35 or g24 but I do have mags...

You CANNOT use a g17/19 for caliber conversions due to the barrel hole in the slide being 'just a tad small'

I would trade my gen 1 g19 in for g23 BUT it has '666' in the ser#-I call it the devil gun, cant sell it.. I am weird,yes...:]:p:biggrin::beer::beer:

Just a thought for flexibility;):beer:

nightschneider
May 16, 2013, 05:22
I prefer the 19 for concealed carry; I carry appendix, and the 1/2 extra on the grip makes a noticeable difference in printing for me.

The 19 fits my hand, though, so that is a big factor in my choice as well.

gaijinsamurai
May 16, 2013, 22:20
I own a G19 (Gen4) and G30 (Gen3), and to me, the Glock 19 is perfect.

Dirt1042
May 17, 2013, 22:56
Does anyone know of any holsters that fit the 19 with this on it?

http://www.streamlight.com/en-us/product/product.html?pid=250

L Haney
May 18, 2013, 06:01
I've got a Gen 4 19 I'll gladly trade for a decent .22 Auto. I've tried to accustom myself to this brick shaped thing, really. Shot it over 500 rounds and it just don't gee haw.

Anybody interested?

homelandprotector
May 18, 2013, 22:21
I've got a Gen 4 19 I'll gladly trade for a decent .22 Auto. I've tried to accustom myself to this brick shaped thing, really. Shot it over 500 rounds and it just don't gee haw.

Anybody interested?
Shoot, I'd trade ya my 22. rifle......it's one of those M16 lookin things made in the Philipeens.

:eek::cool: Like this but with a wood stock.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yx9NqYcEGS0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fn/form
May 19, 2013, 17:06
Does anyone know of any holsters that fit the 19 with this on it?

http://www.streamlight.com/en-us/product/product.html?pid=250

The Raven Phantom is listed with the TLR-4 option. Wait is 12-16wks last I saw.

I've had a lot of luck with that eAuction site for interim holsters. Some of the holster makers there are willing to make a custom order if they already feature a light on a diffholster/holster. I did a quick check and saw an XD/TLR-4 kydex offering.

Mark IV
June 12, 2013, 18:35
I have a Glock 23 (.40 version of the 19) and I love it. Very concealable, and even though it's shorter than the 17, it is exceedingly accurate. I just received the Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel for my 23 and I can't wait to try it out.

May I advance the suggestion that you buy either a 22 or 23 instead, then buy the 9mm conversion barrel: That way you can use both calibers rather than being limited to 9mm if you go with the 17 or the 19.

Tibodoe
June 12, 2013, 21:32
I would trade my gen 1 g19 in for g23 BUT it has '666' in the ser#-I call it the devil gun, cant sell it.. I am weird,yes...

I cared for 20 yews at the LSU animal science farm while in college.
Lambs are very docile and pleasant creatures. I would feed them, water,
and collect fecal and urine samples. They were all very easy to care for,
except for one. She would kick, stomp my feet, head but me, and generally
give me living hell. This happened every day for two weeks. I happened to
notice her ear tag one day, and the number was.... 666. The devil lamb she was named.

I do think the G23 is a good all around gun. Can I use the 23 mags
if I put a 9mm barrel on the 23?

kotengu
June 12, 2013, 21:51
I can't help with 17 vs 19, but I do have both a 30 and a 21. I've had the 30 for many years and many thousand rounds. I bought the 21 because I thought it would be easier to shoot faster and more accurately with a full-sized pistol.

It wasn't. I shoot the 30 more accurately and faster than the 21. Maybe if I shoot the 21 a whole bunch more it'll do better, but that's a big maybe and it won't be by much.

Mark IV
June 12, 2013, 23:12
I do think the G23 is a good all around gun. Can I use the 23 mags if I put a 9mm barrel on the 23?

The followers are a little different from the 19 mag to the 23. I loaded 9mm rounds into my 23 mags, and they loaded well. With the 9mm barrel in the 23, the rounds fed and ejected with no problem hand cycling. I'll try it live fire next time I'm at the range and report back, but initially I'd say it shouldn't be a problem unless someone else here has tried it and had bad juju.

susi
June 13, 2013, 15:10
I have 2 Glock 19s, a 22 (40), and a 23. I have carried the 23 and sometimes the 19s for years as my everyday carry piece.

The 19/23 frame is perfect for my hands and they point perfectly.

On the other hand the 22 (same frame as the 17) points like a length of 2x4 lumber in my hand. It's awkward as hell and just doesn't fit me at all.

JohnnyMac
June 13, 2013, 19:08
I may have an acquired "bias" because the G19 was the first semi-auto pistol, for which I received intensive training. Although our training centered on the G19, we also got to shoot the G17 and G26 (as there was a remote chance we might get one of those issued in-country).

Personally, the G19 balances better in my hands (not overly large) than the G17, which feels front-heavy to me. The slightly smaller size of the G19, beats out the G17 for chest-carry on my IBA. I don't like the G26 much, as I tend to "choke" it because of the short grip.

Most gun ranges that rent pistols will have several Glock models available for comparison. Dance with all the pretty girls, and decide which one to take home.:biggrin:

If I had it to do over again, I would get a Gen3 G23 and a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel, as another member stated.

JMc

Sagerider
June 18, 2013, 00:13
Just my two cents here so here goes;
The Glock 19 is the ticket for short chubby fellas cause it is short and chubby too. During cooler months a light longish or heavy coat covers it quit well.
There are belt or pant clips that attach directly to the pistol so it stays put without the need for a holster. If you can't get to your rifle after sixteen rounds down range you suck. If you can't put ten out of sixteen rounds in a 12 inch circle at 25 yards with your Glock you suck.
For warmer weather get a skinny pistol with an in the pants thin holster.
Forget the laser beams, save them for your shotgun or rifle at night back at the ranch. Your carry pistol is your last ditch to save your life or someone else's.
A set of Mepro or Trigicon sights is all you need for your carry pistol.
Practice practice practice
If you can't beat me with double or triple taps you suck.

Sorry I come off like a dick, I apologize. I really like my 19. :)

chet
June 21, 2013, 11:18
Like others, I wish the 19 fit my hand. It doesn't and I have the scars to prove it.

I thought about customizing one with a longer beavertail, etc, etc, but when I handled an S&W M&P, I realized I could get the same thing right out of the box with one of those. Case closed.

paulb2112
June 21, 2013, 15:32
It is the grip that makes it a little easier to conceal. Personally, I don't like the 19 because it is too small for my hand, and if I add a grip extender, I'm back to a 17. So I just carry a 17 and for more concealed, a J frame smith. My 26 just imprints so much more.

I'm a little surprised that a top smith carries a glock. Was never impressed with them at all other than price.
Do you really regard them that highly?

ftierson
June 21, 2013, 16:45
I'm a little surprised that a top smith carries a glock. Was never impressed with them at all other than price.
Do you really regard them that highly?

I'm certainly not a top smith, but I also carry a Glock 17...

I carry it because I like to carry a shitty gun.

Just sayin'...

Forrest

paulb2112
June 21, 2013, 17:38
Gotcha, other than the follow the leader thing. Thats why I was asking a builder / machinist from engineering standpoint.

Fn/form
June 21, 2013, 18:56
Like others, I wish the 19 fit my hand. It doesn't and I have the scars to prove it.

I thought about customizing one with a longer beavertail, etc, etc, but when I handled an S&W M&P, I realized I could get the same thing right out of the box with one of those. Case closed.

The M&P ergonomics are arguably the best I've ever handled. I had an M&P Pro 4.25", and it had a great trigger out of the box. Very sweet pistol.

I would have jumped ship from Glocks if the M&P was more reliable from the get-go. Lack of testing/development or QC for a so-called Military & Police product. A local metro PD instructor advised they're on the 5th gen of "improvements" since THEY adopted them a few years ago. It's looking better and better, tho, and I'm keeping my finger on the pulse.

The Gen4 Glocks helped with most of my issues. The spring issues have settled down, and I switched to Apex extractors in my G17s. Hoping their G26 extractor is as good.

Sagerider
June 21, 2013, 21:11
Maybe the Detonics may fit some folks better? There is the old Combat Master and they are making new units now. These are chopped .45 autos so plenty of stopping power and they are small, easy to hide.

nyalaman
June 22, 2013, 15:55
get the 19.definitely more concealable. niether would be a bad choice, however.