PDA

View Full Version : MOSSBERG 930 SPX

gates
April 29, 2013, 21:16
What do you guys think?

John Crusher
April 29, 2013, 22:24
I've had one for a couple of years and have shot maybe 30 boxes through it. I use it for 3-gun and I am impressed. I use it,AK74 and Taurus pt92.
I have nothing but great things to say about it. Smoothed out after 100 rds. or so.
I upgraded the follower,put on a larger safety, mag tube clamp and 6 round side saddle on it and run irons mostly but have a eotech xps-2 for it too.

Daragoya
April 29, 2013, 23:26
Early models had a few teething problems, later models are said to have much less problem with canted sights and have heavier barrels (afaik).

Mine has been operating reliably for four years as long as I avoid the Fiocchi low recoil buck. Federal LE-132-00 made me lose a round in the tube until I put in a different magazine spring. (Federal is >.< much longer than some other shells and when you have six >......< it was just enough to keep the 7th from going in the tube. A regular 500 magazine spring solved the problem.)

The 930 is also one of the shotguns that you can 'ghost load', 7 in the tube, one in the chamber and one on the loading gate.

Mesa Tactical is working on a much shorter "Urbino" buttstock for the 930 which will have a pistol grip (win/loss there, I don't think the 930 is pistol grip friendly.)

Oh, and listen to the directions when they say "don't pull the trigger before disassembly" the cocking indicator is held in the trigger group by the hammer and easily falls out in the hammer is forward. (Small, niggling little thing, but I did spend 10 minutes looking for the dang thing.)

gates
April 29, 2013, 23:40
Here's the problem - LGS wants $800 plus for one, would you bite the bullet for a FN or Benelli M-4 at twice the price?

Timber Wolf
April 30, 2013, 09:53
Here's the problem - LGS wants $800 plus for one, would you bite the bullet for a FN or Benelli M-4 at twice the price?

How about a VersaMax? Don't know anything, just asking.:confused:

John Crusher
April 30, 2013, 10:50
I compete with the FN/Benelli/AR/Glock boys all the time.
I beat more than beat me at 1/2 the price.

JohnnyReb
April 30, 2013, 20:33
Watch out for canted front sights.

May 02, 2013, 18:15
saiga 12

Fn/form
May 02, 2013, 18:51

IMO, loading port and shell carrier in SLP need TLC. C-RUMS can weld the carrier for a decent price. I like the slot to help reduce weight on a welded carrier--the SLP can be sensitive to added weight. I have the 18".

Relieving/smoothing the loading port also helps a lot.

I hate competition crap, but adding the above and a Nordic bolt handle are worth it for any serious use shotgun.

I actually have a Dueck Rapid Latch sitting here NIW, but I don't like the possible stress it creates on the bolt release in serious use. I've seen enough bolt releases broken (Buhnelli!) in regular 3gun. Thinking about a larger button instead.

I wrecked my low power piston... probably the full-power Brenneke slugs. It never quit working but was a shock to see the shattered spring.

The higher powered piston has been great with all medium and full power quality loads; Brenneke full/reduced slugs, Fed reduced recoil slugs, Win mil buck and Win AA 1145fps (advertised) and up velocity clay shells. Screw low-power loads... should have been running the heavy all along.

gates
May 02, 2013, 23:42
Well... I bot one, front site is fine - we'll see how she shoots in a week or two.

rowjimmy
May 03, 2013, 18:00
Well... I bot one, front site is fine - we'll see how she shoots in a week or two.

Mine shoots slugs like shit, but is fine cycling bird and reloading.

gates
May 03, 2013, 19:22
I bot some hot stuff and plan on putting a couple hundred rounds thru it before I pass judgement - how many rounds do you have thru yours?

rowjimmy
May 03, 2013, 20:12
I bot some hot stuff and plan on putting a couple hundred rounds thru it before I pass judgement - how many rounds do you have thru yours?

Just 2 or 300 birdshot shooting three gun, and maybe 30 slugs. The felt recoil is harder than my Remington 1100. I got the Jerry Miculek version. The over travel adjustment screw is nice, I found the trigger reset was such that I wasn't letting the trigger reset fully when shooting quickly (probably due to over travel) and it got better when I adjusted the screw. The loading port is nice for quick reloads.

It's a decent shotgun for the money, but I'd run a Versamax, FN or Bennelli if I was serious. It's reliable. The quality control can be sketchy when they leave the factory. I sent mine back for them to replace the ball/spring assembly under the safety as it was sticking.

It shoots slugs high and left at 50 yds. Think top shoulder of IPSC target when shooting the A zone. I've tried a number of different slugs and choke combinations and they all suck. I can't understand it.

If it's meant to be for three gun, it will suit the bill well enough. If it's for home defense for someone who can't shoot a rifle, teach them to shoot a rifle instead.

BTW, $800 seems high. I'm pretty sure I got the 930 JM Pro for $590 when I bought it last year. Have prices gone up that much or is it the cost difference in models?

gates
May 03, 2013, 23:24
Yeah it was high, but I bot a great CZ 83 32ACP today for a REAL reasonable price (thx Limey):-) these shotguns are currently going for close to retail IF you can find them! I'm ok with the price. It is the pistol gripped Blackwater version.

rowjimmy
May 04, 2013, 19:14
Yeah it was high, but I bot a great CZ 83 32ACP today for a REAL reasonable price (thx Limey):-) these shotguns are currently going for close to retail IF you can find them! I'm ok with the price. It is the pistol gripped Blackwater version.

Gates, what's going on? 32 acp? Really? You could have put that money toward ammo for a rifle. Dude, are you losing it?

gates
May 04, 2013, 23:20
I have plenty of ammo.

rowjimmy
May 05, 2013, 08:22
I have plenty of ammo.

Yeah, you say that now...wait until you run out.

gates
May 05, 2013, 15:03
LOL - dude I'll be long dead before I run out if things get that bad...

rowjimmy
May 05, 2013, 16:08
LOL - dude I'll be long dead before I run out if things get that bad...

OK, I plan on outliving everyone else. Can I have your NV gear when you punch out?

gates
May 05, 2013, 17:31
They will be all shot to shit but you're welcome to salvage what ever is left:biggrin:

lawdog
May 17, 2013, 11:48
Good thread. I just got into these shotguns myself.

My dealer got me the two barrel combo package for $539.00 (one defense sized barrel and one 28" barrel).

I like it. I like it alot. I had a Benelli and between the two, I can't seem to justify the price difference for the very little difference in performance that I have seen so far.

Someone did say to me though, Meh, you won't be able to shoot 10k rounds per year out of that like you would a better (translated "more expensive") shotgun. They might be correct, but for the price difference, I can buy and store a spare 930 in case I would ever be able to wear it out.

idwritingworks
May 18, 2013, 15:57
I have the 930 JM Pro for all around competition and like it a lot. not high end but not high end priced either. Feels smoother than a 1100 but not as sturdy maybe.

dirtyrice
May 19, 2013, 20:14
My brother brought one with him on a trip. Me, my dad and him used it for a few rounds of skeet. Worked quite well. I want one.

gunhand
May 20, 2013, 14:41
I've had mine for about two years now. Not a single FTF in probably 300 rounds of 00Buck, 4Buck, slugs, and birdshot.

I put a TLR on a mag tube mount with a pressure switch on the forearm. Works like a charm, and about a third the cost of a Sirefire forearm.

gates
June 05, 2013, 22:58
Put some slugs and 00 thru it last weekend - open sights with 00 buck it's a 25yd gun, 50 yds with slugs, and it's NOT fun to shoot with the latter... I'm not dainty:-) 6'2" 250.

rowjimmy
June 06, 2013, 07:14
Put some slugs and 00 thru it last weekend - open sights with 00 buck it's a 25yd gun, 50 yds with slugs, and it's NOT fun to shoot with the latter... I'm not dainty:-) 6'2" 250.

Like I said, the felt recoil is greater than my 1100. I really noticed it when trying to shoot quickly with birdshot, as my recovery time was greater which resulted in slower spits.

I wouldn't even call mine a 50 yd slug gun given my achieved "accuracy" at that range. But, it will run and cycle reliably in my experience.

Do you have rifle sights or just a front bead? I've put down poppers with slugs between 80 and 100 yds with just the bead on my 1100.

gates
June 06, 2013, 21:01
Rifle sights and a smooth bore - it's dead nuts on windage wise, elevation... eh! requires some experimentation - aim at the chest on a B-27 you hit belly button level at 50 - plenty lethal.

rowjimmy
June 07, 2013, 05:36
Rifle sights and a smooth bore - it's dead nuts on windage wise, elevation... eh! requires some experimentation - aim at the chest on a B-27 you hit belly button level at 50 - plenty lethal.

I have similar elevation issues with the 1100...the hold for windage is harder to compensate for IMHO.

Timber Wolf
June 07, 2013, 07:41
I have similar elevation issues with the 1100...the hold for windage is harder to compensate for IMHO.

I have found when shooting low recoil slugs (all I use) of various brands in my 1100 Competition Master that they are consistantly low and right (as facing the target). So, for all reasonable distances (say out to 80 yards) that I will be shooting off-hand slugs I aim for the right shoulder of an IPSC target or the upper right quadrant of a popper/plate. Has worked well so far. Hate full-snort slugs, love low or reduced or managed recoil. Interestingly, I find little practical difference between Fiocchi 1 oz & 7/8 oz low recoil, B&P (Italian) 1 oz low recoil, and my favorite Remington 1 oz managed recoil slugs in terms of recoil, reliability, or POA or accuracy. I bought a case (250) of the B&P after reading favorable reviews on them on a 3-Gun forum and do like them. They were cheap enough, $170 for the case delivered. I have bought the Remingtons for a buck a pop plus shipping but they are up to a buck and a quarter each currently (when you can find them). Similiar performance at sixtyeight cents each delivered beats a dollar and a quarter plus shipping.:wink:

gates
June 08, 2013, 23:11
I will re-iterate, this shotgun is no fun to shoot off the bench with full power slugs in a t-shirt, kinda like shooting an M44 with 200gr ammo or a .303 Jungle Carbine - fine if you can roll with it off hand, not so much fun off the bench.