PDA

View Full Version : Rear sight replacement

WolfamongSheep
April 24, 2013, 22:56
My Imbel parts gun shoots very well. I really enjoy the rifle for it's fit, feel, and ease of operation. However, I'm not pleased with the wobbly rear sight and its large diameter aperture.

Is there an aftermarket sight, similar to the para sight, that offers range AND elevation adjustments similar to that found on an AR-15/M-4?

I was going to have a smith install a para sight on my rifle this week, before I realized that I wouldn't have any way to adjust for range other than replacing front sight posts...

Any thoughts?

Generally speaking, I think the FAL is superior to it's competition, old and young, in many ways, but it's main weakness is its rear sight. It's "good enough" for a battle rifle, but I expect more from my rifles than just good enough.

WAS:fal:

CVK1974
April 27, 2013, 19:08
DSA has a M16 style sight, RTG has an HK diopter sight modified to fit a FAL. However, these rifles arent tack drivers to begin with.

keiser
April 28, 2013, 19:49
If your sight is wobbly, take it off and sqeeze gently in a vise to tighten it up. That will take the play out of the sight.

As for the aperture size, you might think it is too big, but try shooting it at night. Suddenly it is really way to small. I would imagine you could solder the hole shut and drill to the size you want but it is a battle rifle.

My son shot a match with a FAL. 200yds, worked like a champ. 300yds still hitting perfect. Slide it up to "6" and moved back to 600. Was getting them in the black. And this from an old beat up Rhody rifle with TE of 4.5. Nothing wrong with the sights on that gun. Worked great and if it would have been a man downrange at 600, he would have been dead. When you can hit a man size area at 600yds with battle rifle sights, you are good to go.

brad1
November 13, 2015, 06:31
Ive always used stock sites, even with setup ta be folders, just use cut off wheel
Ta get part of sight out of way fot foder,,
I tighten wobbly rears a few ways
, , i only use stick peeps ta 350 yards
If u cant use stock sights, quit shooting metro man!!

gunplumber
November 13, 2015, 10:39
If your sight is wobbly, take it off and sqeeze gently in a vise to tighten it up. That will take the play out of the sight.

Do this only on FAL. Do not do this on L1A1.

J. Armstrong
November 13, 2015, 12:15
It's "good enough" for a battle rifle, but I expect more from my rifles than just good enough.

Isn't dead "dead enough" ? :)