PDA

View Full Version : Ugly but Performs

clance
April 22, 2013, 22:06
Here a little over a year ago I pickup a used Chiappa Rhino at the local gun store. I didn't want to pay at the time the $800 price tag (now I'm seeing them for close to a $1000) so I was patient for a change and waited for one to show up in someone's use gun case. I was rewarded with a "Like New In Box" Rhino with everything including a pancake holster for $600 out the door.

I've shot one a year and a half earlier at the same shop where I got mine which has a indoor range and gun rentals. Before I really knew anything about the revolver, I could see that its design was innovative firing at the 6 o'clock position instead of the 12 like all other revolvers fire from but didn't realize how innovative it real was until I ran a box of full load .357 mags though it and wanted to keep shooting.

I've shot .357 J-frame S&W and Ruger's SP101 with 2-1/2" barrel that after a box of 50 rds you didn't want to shoot anymore. The muzzle flip on that short barrel besides the light weight just crank on your wrist after awhile to the point where it just wasn't fun. I surmise that firing from the 6 o'clock position muzzle flip would be reduce but I never imagine that it would be nearly eliminate it! Full load .357s were little more then like shooting .38 Spl. while .38 +P were like really loud 22LR and this was out of a alloy frame 2" inch. :eek:

http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=A2KLqIOd93VR5SsAdH37w8QF;_ylu=X3oDMTBrc3 VyamVwBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDdmlkBHZ0aWQD?p=chiappa+rhino&vid=c016e963f09c8f64a7ae4e0c63cfce7d&l=00%3A06&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DU.46 87635693109599%26pid%3D15.1&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D9o _--IZ5rPw&tit=Chiappa+357+mag+no+recoil&c=8&sigr=11aifu7qj&age=0&b=121&hsimp=yhs-att_001&hspart=att&tt=b

I will say I did feel it, but instead of the wrist it was all in the fleshy part of the hand which with the rubber grips that come on the little gun absorb most of the recoil.

While the DA trigger pull isn't anything to write home about (after all it is a self-defense revolver not a competition target gun) and most individuals I seen shooting this revolver at the range had to use two hands to use the cocking lever for SA. The SA is at least crisp when it breaks and with the nearly zero muzzle flip, the sights return to zero almost immediately with good trigger control.

So for you that are looking for a full power stubnose for conceal carry that you actually would enjoy shooting full magnum loads in. Look no further then the Chiappa Rhino!

http://gunsgunsguns.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Chiappa-Rhino-snub.jpg

Timber Wolf
April 23, 2013, 06:53
Yes but, it is almost even uglier then an LCR. Wait a minute, I think it IS uglier then an LCR!;) Who the heck is dreaming up all these ugly guns when what the world needs is more beauty?

clance
April 23, 2013, 09:44
Yes but, it is almost even uglier then an LCR. Wait a minute, I think it IS uglier then an LCR!;) Who the heck is dreaming up all these ugly guns when what the world needs is more beauty?

I know what you mean. I think it all began with the Glock and its been going steadily down hill from there. :sad:

Gone I think are the days of handguns with fit and finishes like the Python, Luger, Mod 27, etc... which were not only were functional but was appealing to the eye. I've even notice that manufactures are trending in the same directions with rifle and shotguns, matting finishes and adding plastic furniture. :mad:

There will be a time "soon" I think when you'll be hard press to find a all steel, high gloss firearm with anything natural as far as furnishing on it. If you do, you better expect to pay some serious $$$ for it. :cry:

With that said, I've got to admit that the paper targets, deer, rabbits, or bad guys really don't care or are critical whether they're being shot by either a piece of art from a still craftsman or mass produced piece of crap!

While the Chiappa Rhino is as "Plain Jane" as they come, she performs beautifully in her intended purpose, as a self-defense revolver. I just wish that they would make her in all steel so that it would be possible to either get a high gloss finish on her or even a bit of engraving. :biggrin:

ALL FAL
April 25, 2013, 03:44
The Italians build Beautiful cars, but that really is the ugliest gun I have ever seen, to each their own, shudder.... Quick poke out my eyes...

clance
April 25, 2013, 08:09
The Italians build Beautiful cars, but that really is the ugliest gun I have ever seen, to each their own, shudder.... Quick poke out my eyes...

LoL! Ya she's ugly but you really need to shoot one at least once. I can almost assure you you'll be a convert.

Just do what you would do with a ugly woman. Place a bag over the Rhino and bang away. :biggrin:

Topbanana
April 25, 2013, 08:43
Kill it with fire!!

DYNOMIKE
April 25, 2013, 21:12
Thought I was gonna see and Ugly BUTT perform..

But those things are just plain Fugly..

idsubgun
April 26, 2013, 11:52
Thought I was gonna see and Ugly BUTT perform..

But those things are just plain Fugly..

I thought he was talking about my ex wife! :rofl:

DYNOMIKE
April 27, 2013, 07:50
I thought he was talking about my ex wife! :rofl:

LOL!!
If he was, no wonder she's your EX-Wife.. :eek:

clance
April 27, 2013, 08:08
LOL!!
If he was, no wonder she's your EX-Wife.. :eek:

Maybe you should have ask the question: Why did he married her in the first place if it wasn't for her looks? Answer was probably something about her "PERFORMANCE"... ;)

idsubgun
April 27, 2013, 08:18
She looked WAY better when I first met her (she was 15, I was 18/19). Still looked good 7-8 years later when we married. But she turned into her mother as she grew older (mother AND grandmother were butt-ugly! :eek: ). It was a STRONG case of "look at their mother before you marry them"! LOL

It all worked out. I got a son from the marriage and she's gone. I now have a beautiful lady (inside as well as outside) that's in her early 50's so I know what she'll look like when she's 80!

catmguy445
April 28, 2013, 12:54
You guys are missing the OP's point by about half a mile. I agree that the Rhino doesn't have exactly "classic" lines, but it would be so much easier to shoot than a traditional wheelgun, that you probably wouldn't believe it until you got a chance to try one out.

Let's go back about 30 years to when I was working as a gun salesman at Pachmayr when they were still in downtown L.A. and Frank still ran the place. They had a gunsmithing department that put out some of the finest custom guns in the U.S. back then, and their head gunsmith was a guy named Kevin McCullough.

Kev loved revolvers, especially Smith & Wesson revolvers. He was also very innovative and was always looking for ways to make a gun work more efficiently and/or accurately. One of the things he came up with on the side in his spare time was what he called the Upside Down gun. He took a Smith Model 10 and switched the barrel and cylinder crane around, so that the barrel was screwed in to where the crane used to be, reworked the entire action and firing mechanism, and when you opened the cylinder, it swung up. With the barrel now mounted at the bottom of the frame, the firing chamber was the one at six o'clock. Just like the Rhino.

It was a very odd looking gun. Kevin built a sight rail to mount the sights on, which left a big gap between the barrel and the sights, making the gun look very strange. But shooting it was a dream. Having the bore center lined up with the palm of your hand completely eliminated muzzle flip when firing. The gun would just push back into your hand, but the barrel stayed right on target. It worked so well that he built a PPC competition version with a bull barrel and competition sights on it. Having the cylinder swing up and away from the frame also made using a speedloader easier and faster.

The gun never caught on with the PPC guys, but it did get a lot of interest. It never failed to draw a crowd at the range whenever we took it out. One of the gun magazines (Guns & Ammo, I think) did an article on the Upside Down gun, and I really wonder if the folks who are now building the Rhino ever read the article about Kevin's odd but effective revolver.

BUFF
April 28, 2013, 16:28
I have a memory of a G&A article about a gunsmith who heavily modified some S&W revolvers. One of them, he added a shotgun barrel as the cylinder axis. I wonder if it was the same fellow.

DYNOMIKE
April 28, 2013, 17:13
You guys are missing the OP's point by about half a mile.

I'm not missing the point at all as most of my comments are meant as light hearted humor.
Even so the gun would have to be AMAZING for me to give it even a second glance for something that ugly would never make the grade for me..

On a serious note however I was told these pistols have a VERY large number of internal parts.. Don't quote me but I think it's like 70 parts VS a standard revolver having something like 30 parts.

I think longevity when compared to a more traditional revolver may be a very real problem.. But this is admittedly WAG and not a proven fact?

SWOHFAL
April 28, 2013, 23:57
I read some online reviews on these and there have been mentions of misfires and problems with the cock/decock lever on the DA/SA versions.

SWOHFAL
April 28, 2013, 23:58
I have a memory of a G&A article about a gunsmith who heavily modified some S&W revolvers. One of them, he added a shotgun barrel as the cylinder axis. I wonder if it was the same fellow.

So, he reinvented the LeMat?

clance
April 29, 2013, 06:53
So, he reinvented the LeMat?

Actually Emilio Ghisoni the designer of the Rhino was also the inventor of the Mateba Auto Revolver. After selling his auto revolver design to a company he was approach by a individual(s) of Italy's national pistol team to design a revolver for them, thus came about the Rhino (I'm guessing but I would think initially it was the 50DS - 5" inch). Before the project was complete, Emilio Ghisoni died, and his partners in the project then search for someone that could complete it. Enter the Chiappa Firearm company...

http://americanhandgunner.com/the-rhino-revolver/

SWOHFAL
April 29, 2013, 13:59
Actually Emilio Ghisoni the designer of the Rhino was also the inventor of the Mateba Auto Revolver. After selling his auto revolver design to a company he was approach by a individual(s) of Italy's national pistol team to design a revolver for them, thus came about the Rhino (I'm guessing but I would think initially it was the 50DS - 5" inch). Before the project was complete, Emilio Ghisoni died, and his partners in the project then search for someone that could complete it. Enter the Chiappa Firearm company...

http://americanhandgunner.com/the-rhino-revolver/

I've read that before - I was specifically commenting on the revolver with the shotgun barrel, however.

D P Six
May 01, 2013, 16:27
If a dog walked up to my back door and was as ugly as a Rhino, I would have to shoot it to take it out of my misery. And I wouldn't care if could roll over, catch the ball or fetch the newspaper.

Timber Wolf
May 02, 2013, 10:07
If a dog walked up to my back door and was as ugly as a Rhino, I would have to shoot it to take it out of my misery. And I wouldn't care if could roll over, catch the ball or fetch the newspaper.

I feel a little guilty as I was one of the first ones to comment on the homeliness of this fine piece of firearm engineering. I will say for certain that beauty is very much in the eye of the beholder. One of my favorite examples of this actually happened to me and the previous post on ugly dogs reminded me. Years ago a stray pregnant bitch was dumped in front of my house. I lived then on the first road to the left out of town, at the end of the first dirt road off that road. I surmise that it looked like a good place to dump unwanted dogs as we got a lot of them. Funny, since it got paved we don’t get any more dump dogs, but I digress. I felt sorry for the little knocked-up girl so took her in. As I did not want a slew of pups roaming the place I penned her up. Eventually nature took its’ course and I had bunch of puppies to give away, and give them away I did. I got down to the last couple, one of which was the ugliest dog I have ever seen. She was a little girl dog that was colored like her mama but must have had a possum or big woods rat for a daddy because she had a strange rat shaped head. I swear I came close on several occasions to just knocking her in that ugly head because I could not hardly stand to look at her rat-looking self in the pen. Anyway, one day a very good long time friend was over and naturally we went down to survey the remaining critters. He pointed out the homely beast and before I could apologize for her he said “that is the best looking dog I have ever seen!” I quickly regrouped and announced that it was his lucky day because I had just given her to him. He left a happy man with that nasty, triple bag ugly, bitch dog in his truck!

xcpd69
May 02, 2013, 12:10
..... I just wish that they would make her in all steel so that it would be possible to either get a high gloss finish on her or even a bit of engraving. :biggrin:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-YWAdaS8HVdg/Tza-Euv9PUI/AAAAAAAAAv8/HGHxNiH-0aA/s1600/Lipstickpig.jpeg

clance
May 02, 2013, 19:44
One question for all of you that have criticize the Chiappa Rhino on its' physical beauty.

Have you ever shot one?

Retired Bum
May 02, 2013, 21:03
I have not posted any criticism of the Rhino but I do think that it is one ugly handgun that I know I will never own.

Haven't shot one either but then what will it do that a conventional DA revolver can't do? Nothing of course. It was just some guy's idea to design a revolver that is unconventional and uglier than original sin. He and his successor got it done. In a few years or less the Rhino will be nothing more than a curiousity and footnote in firearms history.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

clance
May 02, 2013, 21:38
I have not posted any criticism of the Rhino but I do think that it is one ugly handgun that I know I will never own.

Haven't shot one either but then what will it do that a conventional DA revolver can't do? Nothing of course. It was just some guy's idea to design a revolver that is unconventional and uglier than original sin. He and his successor got it done. In a few years or less the Rhino will be nothing more than a curiousity and footnote in firearms history.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

It seems to me that they said the same thing about "Rock n Roll."

But to answer your initial question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=O217lS2kVRk

I like to see a 2" alloy K or L frame Smith using full magnum loads do that!

Mark IV
May 05, 2013, 03:47
Kill it with fire!!

LOL!!! :rofl::rofl:

Still, it gets the bullet downrange.

For the money, I'd still take a Python (okay, so they're way more than $800) or S&W Model 19 over that leper of a handgun.

clance
May 05, 2013, 08:39
Almost 30 parts in the first column.

http://www.urban-armory.com/diagrams/sw19.htm

74 total according to their parts listing in the S&W Mod. 19

And...

Only 71 in the Chiappa Rhino. :p

http://gunsumerreports.com/review_chiappa_rhino_60ds_p3.php

DYNOMIKE
May 05, 2013, 16:14
74 total according to their parts listing in the S&W Mod. 19

And...

Only 71 in the Chiappa Rhino. :p

http://gunsumerreports.com/review_chiappa_rhino_60ds_p3.php

I clearly noted and I quote..
On a serious note however I was told these pistols have a VERY large number of internal parts.. Don't quote me but I think it's like 70 parts VS a standard revolver having something like 30 parts.

I also reference INTERNAL parts not a total parts count..
Regardless I've been wrong before, will be again and can accept that no prob I'm a Grown Up..

However that ugly fuggin pistol would have to swallow before it would ever see the inside of my safe.. :rofl:

Will C
May 10, 2013, 00:43
http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/7832/9388146_1.jpg?v=8CCAB7DBFB46690

How 'bout a .357 snubbie that can get the job done and looks good doing it? The picture in the OP reminded me of when my parents gave me the "birds and bees" talk. :uhoh: That horrible mental image was seared into my young brain and even now I shudder at the remembrance.

Likewise it may take a while for the jarring lines of the Chiappa to finally dissipate from memory. I'll go spend some time with my classic Colts and maybe it will eventually go away. (and no the Python in the photo is not one of mine, I'm a lousy photographer - any shots of mirror blue Colts from me will end up looking like amateur gunbroker hack pics).

thunderchicken
May 10, 2013, 13:04
I kinda like the looks of the Rhino. but then again I like the Mateba as well.

clance
May 10, 2013, 13:27
I kinda like the looks of the Rhino. but then again I like the Mateba as well.

You're a man of refined and unique taste! :biggrin:

Almost got one of those Mateba's in .357 some years back but frickin GunBroker and their darn 15min. rule. One guy up my bid, we battled it out, got to rich for him but it open the door for another that apparently had the cash. Once it got over $2000 it got to rich for my beer pocketbook. :cry: