PDA

View Full Version : 6" low @ 10 yards

D P Six
April 09, 2013, 16:39
A friend has a Glock 17 on which he uses a Gemtech suppressor. He has installed a higher front & read sights to see over the can. Using Winchester 147gn subsonic's he is shooting 6" low at 10 yards from a rest with the suppressor. With no can he is point of aim. Is this normal?

gunplumber
April 09, 2013, 17:15
put a mark on the suppressor at 12 o'clock and rotate the can to different clock positions and see if you get a shift. It is normal to have an elevation difference, but the amount you are experiencing seems excessive.

D P Six
April 09, 2013, 23:06
Mark, can tightening or loosening the can a little effect elevation? If he tried lighter bullets, could that make a difference? I might be meeting my friend at a range this Friday, I would like to try the gun myself.

gunplumber
April 10, 2013, 08:43
If the threads are not very "tight" then the nose of the can will droop unless the can is all the way tight against the shoulder of the barrel. May need to use a rubber o Ring or shim to test the can rotation.

D P Six
April 10, 2013, 11:01
My friend called Gemtech. I may not be explaining this correctly but they said to pull outward against the spring tension of the recoil booster, rotate the can and slowly release and reingage the splines. Whatever this realignment did, the gun is now spot on and my friend is happy. Mark, thank you for the suggestion, rotation solved the problem.

gunplumber
April 10, 2013, 12:45
I haven't used a can with muzzle booster/accelerator (required for drop breech barrels like the browning system, not for fixed barrels like the Beretta/makarov). It makes sense they'd have a built in way to rotate.

Warbirds Custom Guns
April 12, 2013, 22:55
My friend called Gemtech. I may not be explaining this correctly but they said to pull outward against the spring tension of the recoil booster, rotate the can and slowly release and reingage the splines. Whatever this realignment did, the gun is now spot on and my friend is happy. Mark, thank you for the suggestion, rotation solved the problem.
The piston can be rotated to 10 different positions to adjust for impact (as you now know).
If the can is new & you have a manual, it tells how & what to do.
The reason for adjusting impact is due to the baffle design.

The one thing I like is a feature that disables the cycling of the action & enable single shot only mode.
I'm finishing an all Titanium 9mm pistol can that will have such a feature.:biggrin:
The big manufactures need to start thinking outside the box.